[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How do Christians reconcile the fact that there is not one mention
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1
File: image.gif (229 KB, 686x662) Image search: [Google]
image.gif
229 KB, 686x662
How do Christians reconcile the fact that there is not one mention of demons or Devils in the Old Testament? Demon possession is arguably one of the main focuses of the gospels yet no character from OT ever is mentioned to be possessed. Satan in the OT is not at all like in the NT. He is pure evil and waiting to devour you. Yet in book of job he is mentioned only a couple times and can only do what God orders him. The New Testament also deities Satan many times calling him the "god of this world" and "prince and power of the air". This makes absolutely no sense and really makes me wonder how much pagans influenced the NT. Also if your demon possessed, how can you be responsible for your sins? The demons are the ones commiting them not you. Is demons/Satan all meant to be metaphorical? I ask because many Christians actually believe in casting out demons. Anyone well versed in the bible care to share some insight?
>>
>not one mention of demons or Devils in the Old Testament?
http://biblehub.com/hebrew/lashshedim_7700.htm

>The New Testament also deities Satan many times calling him the "god of this world"
https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Deuteronomy+32:17&version=NASB
>>
>>1346412
>Demon possession is arguably one of the main focuses of the gospels yet no character from OT ever is mentioned to be possessed.
Mind you the OT was pretty nebulous at the time the NT was composed. NT writers may well have had texts or traditions that included it. Certainly they believed they were encountering in the flesh.
>Also if your demon possessed, how can you be responsible for your sins? The demons are the ones commiting them not you.
There's a logic to your logic, but I'm pretty sure the thinking is you become possessed in the first place by giving in to sin.
> Is demons/Satan all meant to be metaphorical?
Doesn't seem like it.
>>
>>1346412
Idk man. I can't say for sure that God exists. Humanity just needs religion. Not all humans need religion to be nice people. But many do. If there really is no God than no matter what we do is pointless. So if having faith brings you hope and makes you be a better person to other than by all means. If you can do that without a god then that's fine too. But many uneducated people can't so we shouldn't introduce them to the concept that there actually is no being holding them accountable for their actions. Human beings are Inherently flawed, we will never be perfect. Many of us need something to look up to. And that's what religion provides.
>>
>>1346426
Fine but you get the jist of what I'm saying. Still no demon possession or exorcisms. My point is that Christians also blame satan for being the source of all evil yet in Isaiah God says "I form the light and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the LORD do all these things." Yet satan is the evil one? God himself says he makes evil happen so why does Satan even need to exist? And why is he punished by being thrown in the lake of fire? What evil did he do that God didn't create and force Satan to do? Doesn't make sense.
>>
>>1346433
And some need it to be bad.

If accept something without any evidence you are not far away from drowning babies and killing "infants".

Religion is for the weak and insecure for people that love to seperate themselfes from others and want to be special in a way.

Uuuh allthem other religionz wrooong my religion trueee I go to superheaven huhuhuu
>>
>>1346444
>exorcisms
https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Zechariah+3%3A2&version=NASB

I'm all over the Jewish Annotated New Testament, and it keeps talking about Jewish exorcists all over the place, predating Jesus.

For example, the note for Luke 4:36:

>Commands the unclean spirits, Tob 3.17; Josephus (J.W. 7.185; Ant. 8.45–49); 1QapGen 20.16–29; Acts 19.13, and other sources aest Jewish exorcists. The expression “unclean spirit” appears in the Tanakh only at Zech 13.2.

https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Zechariah+13%3A2&version=NASB

>My point is that Christians also blame satan for being the source of all evil yet in Isaiah God says "I form the light and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the LORD do all these things." Yet satan is the evil one?
In Judaism and Christianity, God is the creator of Satan, yes.

>God himself says he makes evil happen so why does Satan even need to exist?
Same reason has angels for good purposes.

>And why is he punished by being thrown in the lake of fire?
Death, not Satan, will be thrown into the lake of fire. (Rev 20:14)

For some reason I cannot fathom, you appear to be struggling with Jewish apocalyptic literature.

They have this dualistic view of the universe where there will be a huge battle of good, headed by God, and evil, headed .

Jesus, Paul, and the John of the book of Revelation are indeed apocalyptic preachers, but this stuff was already present in Daniel.

>

http://www.jewishencyclopedia.com/articles/1642-apocalypse
http://www.jewishencyclopedia.com/articles/1643-apocalyptic-literature-neo-hebraic

It's not pagan in any way, shape or form.
>>
>>1346475
>The earliest known example of a Jewish Apocalypse is the Book of Daniel (middle of the second century B.C.), with which book the distinct beginning of a new branch of literature is made (though some hold that a part of the Book of Enoch is anterior to Daniel). But the author of Dan. vii.-xii., though a pioneer and an originator in this department, could hardly be called the creator of the Jewish Apocalypse. Nearly every one of the characteristic features of his work is to be found well established in the earlier literature of his people. Furthermore, the subsequent compositions of this class were not wholly or even largely developed from the materials provided in this book. Like Daniel, and together with it, they were a characteristic product of the times (see below). The extensive Enoch literature, which begins to make its appearance soon after this, is in itself a sufficient demonstration of the fact. It is evident that the materials for this sort of composition were at that time ready to hand. On the other side, the Book of Daniel certainly did determine, to a considerable extent, how the existing materials should be used in the apocalyptic tradition and in the popular eschatology. Its influence on both the religious and the literary side was very great.

Read Daniel 7-12 for yourself:
https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Daniel+7-12&version=NASB

It's a huge influence on the New Testament as a whole.
>>
>>1346475
*a huge battle of good, headed by God, and evil, headed someboy that isn't God.
>>
>>1346444
Isaiah also says Satan sits at God's right (or maybe left) hand. He's the divine prosecutor, literally an "opponent" in a legal sense. An omnipotent God would not allow a heavenly being to do anything outside of his will. Even if you buy the catechism-line about fallen angels, the OT is clear that angels don't have free will.
>>
You've never read the Old Testament, have you Schlomo?
>>
>>1346444
>and create evil
It never says that you blasphemer
>>
We are saved by grace alone through faith alone by means of scripture alone enabled by Christ alone for the glory of God alone.
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.