[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How would you gain power and display value if sent back in to
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2
File: time-machine-blog-image.jpg (74 KB, 564x423) Image search: [Google]
time-machine-blog-image.jpg
74 KB, 564x423
>exactly 5 sec after reading this you are transported back in time to Rome circa 100AD, when the empire was roughly at its largest.

>Only thing that goes with you is whatever you are wearing right now
How do you gain power wealth and safety?

What knowledge or skills do you possess that could immediately set you apart?

(inb4 : ill draw a gun, dur hur. without knowing EXACTLY how to build and manafacture all the different parts, its useless)
>>
Engineering feats.

Most people alive understand the principle of mechanical energy and thermal energy. Show your engineering marvels by building mechanical pulley systems, hydro power, bicycle, etc

Literally any sort of mechanical device will a genius invention to them. The wheel barrow for example is a perfect example that China invented later on(or maybe around same time).

>gun
While gunpoweder might be hard to do on your own, you could effectively utilize the fluid dynamics to create hydrolics based weapons or tools/systems. System of elevators can be done using primitive hydralics systems.
>>
Well, with my superior knowledge of the modern day world, I would most likely become some sort of genius.
>>
>>1282972
I die from no modern medicine.
>>
arabic numerals =]
>>
pretend like a prophet with all information i have
>>
File: image.jpg (118 KB, 695x763) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
118 KB, 695x763
>tfw they would worship me because I resemble Zeus.
>>
>>1282972
This is assuming of course the magic also gives us the ability to speak latin. Without that no one could do much of anything.

If we get latin I would go around rome begging for parchment after scrounging enough for a charcoal pen and write about philosophy and try to get into those circlejerks. Once i do that I would try and spread modern nationalism and sell it as a way of controlling the state to those in power and a citizens anthem for a better life to everyone else.

End goal is to trick the emperor into reorganizing the empire into a real country with states so rome would persist.

Secondary goal is to try and make a reputation as an oracle and write about islam enough so that the whole world mistrusts it when it comes about
>>
>>1282972
Introduce the number 0 and get burned at the stake
>>
>>1282972
I know to tell people how to avoid the plague when it hits. That's about it. Maybe stuff about animal or dog breeding.
>>
>>1283111
you'd be thrown straight into gladiator school m8

>This is assuming of course the magic also gives us the ability to speak latin. Without that no one could do much of anything.

let's assume that you don't. You would have to gain this language skill as you progressed. Main challenge would be demonstrating knowledge without ability to fully communicate.

Some idea's :

> boil water, use stream to spin a small wheel of some sorts

>>1282998
>wheelbarrow idea is awesome. Had no idea it was invented so late. Lmfao

>arabic numerals

>draw italy
>then draw italy in relation to europe
>then draw map of the world

>I personally know a lot of muay thai and brazilian jiu jitsu. Pretty sure some of those techniques would be completely foreign to them. Might get chucked into gladiator school for demonstrating them though.
>>
>>1282972
Considering I do not magically get Koine and a bit of latin knowledge as well, I probably would become a slave or get robbed and killed or something. :-p

At best I could hope for spawning in a rich & highly educated city, where my automatic-mechanical wristwatch's mechanics prbly would gather enough interest in it's mechanical workings that they might go through the effort to pay for my food and teach me the local language, until I am able to explain my situation.

But even then: They could just copy how the watch works against my will, and even if I manage to explain my situation, I doubt I'd be much use for them. Depending on when exactly I arrive I only could give them a broad outlook of future event, but not /without books / internet) tell them specific small events within each year what could be the only actual useful thing "prophecy" wise.

I do not really know much about technology to teach them how to build it.

The only area I really could revolutionize is health & sanitation. While I do not have much knowledge there either, I still would be better them most of their docs, cause all theories they based their healing on were false.

So I'd probably open something like a christian version of an Asklepios temple, but only IF they allow me to go free.

What could work as well, if I get access to someone from the military, is teaching them medieval battle tactics and make some money from that. Especially concerning cavalry there is much that could be done better than they did.
>>
>>1285966
>health and sanitation
Just boil water/rag and use that to treat shit. This would instantly make you a greater doctor than most.

Sound scientific principle alone would revolutionize their way of thinking and discovery.
>>
I've retained a lot of biology from school ._.

That's about it.
>>
I make lenses for a living.
I give the Romans the refracting and reflecting telescopes, a rudimentary microscope, and repeat Koch's experiment and demonstrate handwashing before (still) succumbing to disease or lead poisoning as well as killing the Romans of disease like the Spanish to the Aztec
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.