[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why Brasilia wasn't as successful as United States? Is that
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 2
Why Brasilia wasn't as successful as United States? Is that because United States stolen valuable goods from North American natives?
>>
>>1278710
Maybe because it was only a city
>>
For the same reason the UK turned out better than Spain and Portugal.

Effective institutions > Material resources
>>
>>1278710
Well for starters only some parts of America are shitholes and all of Brazil is a shithole
>>
File: brasil.jpg (90 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
brasil.jpg
90 KB, 800x600
U.S. is 15% black, and 15% mestizo.

Brazil is 40% black and mulatto, and 40% mestizo and indigenous.
>>
>>1278710

The answers are myriad and various.

Some lot of it comes from the fact that their frontier (the Amazon) couldn't be tamed until more recently while the American frontier doesn't have forests that grow several feet per day. America's climate is also better suited for European crops than Brazil.
>>
>>1278753
Well, it is still connected to culture and economy.

Brazil was the last country in Western hemisphere to abolish slavery (1888) and more than 40% of slaves in whole new world ware in Brazil.

Portugal was smaller country and didn't have vast white human force to export to colony.

In 1870 Brazil had 10 million people (43% black/mulatto) and US had 38 million people.

After that, US tried race separation to retain strong work ethics, Brazil encouraged race mixing (they foolishly thought that they can "whiten" negro genes: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Racial_whitening ).

Brazil is catholic, so main sources of emmigration were shit-tier countries like Portugal, Spain, Italy and even real human trash like Poland.
>>
I'm pretty sure the root of it was way back when they were first colonized by the Spanish and Portugese. In South America there was massive amounts of silver, which Spain mined out and sent it all back to Europe instead of investing it back into the colonies. Portugal I assume had a similar strategy and by the time South American countries had independence they had no mineable resources and so had a god-awful economy. Similarly, Spain suffered from severe economic problems thanks to this policy and led to the end of the Spanish Golden age, which was started by the very same silver. Without much other industry, infrastructure and other economic priorities they all fell into disrepair. Thats the crux of it as far as I know
>>
>>1278753
>there are people who actually take such a simplistic view of the unfolding of history and development of nations.
Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.