[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
If I fear death, should I also fear sleep? How does one live
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 3
File: 14623789977500.jpg (200 KB, 800x659) Image search: [Google]
14623789977500.jpg
200 KB, 800x659
If I fear death, should I also fear sleep?

How does one live with the idea that continuity of consciousness is what matters?
>>
>>1277976
>If I fear death, should I also fear sleep?

Yes. How do you know the "you" who went to sleep is the same as the "you" who woke up?
>>
>>1277989
Why would that be a worry if it's a continuous experience anyway?
>>
>How does one live with the idea that continuity of consciousness is what matters?
They live ignorantly, which is fine. Everyone does in one area or a lot of them.

The "self" is an abstract object. There isn't anything that actually separates you from the rest of reality. You're made of the same shit and are constantly exchanging materials with other stuff around you, it's all one big soup. You were simply taught by society that you exist, and this is how society and linguistics function globally at the moment, and you're not really going to be capable of thinking any other way without spending a lot of time alone up in a cave in tibet or something, and even then it's not like those guys are doing anything superior to having an ego. They're just dissolving theirs because it feels good.

Phenomenologically, the illusion of "self" and free will are strong enough to simply accept that they exist solely in your first-person perspective of reality, which is all that really should matter to you.
>>
>>1277989
cessation of consciousness is a finicky subject but it is not the same as death, and getting all pseudo-intellectual about it to make you feel smart in front of normans is cringey as fuck.
>>
File: eric the norman.gif (36 KB, 373x465) Image search: [Google]
eric the norman.gif
36 KB, 373x465
>>1278022
>normans
>>
>>1278015
>society teaches you that the self exists

Opinion discarded
>>
>>1277976
Your consciousness persists even when you sleep. "Unconsciousness" is a lack of awareness, not the kind of actual cessation that would occur on death.
>>
>>1277976
>>1277989

Your consciousness and mind change every second, so you're not even the same person you were when you made this post.

Stop worrying about retarded shit like this and get some sleep you nigger.
>>
>>1280537
>you are conscious when you're sleep
lol this kid

Consciousness is just awareness. You're not aware when sleep.
>>
Maybe it's because you wake up from sleep with full memory but not so much from death?
>>
>>1280570
>you're not aware when you're asleep
>loud/bright external stimuli will wake you up from sleep
anime girl with interrogation marks . jpg
>>
>>1280540
Define consciousness and show how it changes.
>>
File: 1428268335468.png (26 KB, 190x194) Image search: [Google]
1428268335468.png
26 KB, 190x194
>should I
followed by
>How does one

Get off this board, pseud.
>>
>>1280768
Plants don't have awareness when they release chemical reactions to stimuli. They do that because their leaves/branch function on its own.

You don't need to be conscious to feel the heat on your hand if you place it on a hot stove. Its an automatic reaction.
>>
>>1278015

t. freshman
>>
>>1280923
oof
>>
>>1277976
Logically, yes.

The ancient greeks and romans thought that sleep was death's twin brother
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.