[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why are modern landscapes so tasteless? We used to have our cities
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 8
File: Paradise-Planned-4.jpg (162 KB, 650x487) Image search: [Google]
Paradise-Planned-4.jpg
162 KB, 650x487
Why are modern landscapes so tasteless? We used to have our cities be literal works of art, now they're faceless blocks with logo's.. And our suburbs are literal boxes for people.
>>
>>1277099
I don't fucking know man
>>
Something something liberals
>>
>>1277099
Efficiency and expediency.
>>
>>1277099
Sameness is satanic.

America is the vehicle through which Satan enters the world.
>>
>>1277099
I can't say for sure, but back then we everyone just did their own thing compared to now, right? Today you have one company build a whole set of houses for their customers and try to be the most efficient.
>>
Suburbs are improving compared to the 70s and 90s. The one in your picture is not a charming village of houses huddling together around a stone bridge over a small, gurgly and rocky stream... But it's not bad.
>>
inb4 some bootlicking sperg raging his ass off and glorifying the benefits of consumer society
>>
You're completely wrong.

Only the central area with the government and religious buildings and where the affluent lived would have been anything close to "a work of art". The rest would have been variably a dirty and less than pleasant hovel.
>>
>>1277099
>We used to have our cities be literal works of art

thatched, timber framed houses? Practically the commieblocks of their day.
>>
>>1277130

This nigger never went to southern Europe.
>>
>>1277130
Poverty sucks but it isn't necessarily ugly or even dirty.
>>
>>1277150
You should 18th century English descriptions of Southern Europe, not too praising.
>>
There is a certain charm to cities like Tokyo.
>>
>>1277130
Simplicity does not equate to ugliness. The reason we find "modern" cities so ugly is because of a) sameness and b) mathematical "perfection"
>>
>>1277159

Because it was no longer relevant by then.
That's like reading Ptolemaic history and judging New Kingdom times.
>>
because creativity & passion died on the alter progress.
>>
>>1277167
Tokyo is hideous, what are you on?
>>
>>1277192
You might want to use smaller words, you're clearly trying to sound more educated than you are.
>>
File: commieblock.jpg (616 KB, 960x490) Image search: [Google]
commieblock.jpg
616 KB, 960x490
>not liking superior commieblocks
plebs
>>
Designed to be driven past rather than walked by.
>>
>>1277229
>tfw based Le Corbusiers plans for Paris wherent enacted
>>
>>1277274
Glorious!

>tfw no more architects wanting to grind humanity to the state of thoughtless working units.

The emotional being meme has to stop.

*tips set square*
>>
>>1277229
There's something soul destroying about Commieblocks. They just make everything surrounding them look depressing.
>>
>>1277099
If that's tasteless I'd rather live in a tasteless world.
>>
>>1277316
their pretty comfy tought
>>
>>1277336
So are suburban houses on the inside. Both still suck aesthetically.
>>
>>1277099
>We used to have our cities be literal works of art
historicaly thery were also cesspools of filth shit and disease where houses where jammed into each other super close(prone to fire and colapse) while the wealthy lived behind walls orretired to the country

im sorry your needlesly nostalgic for a worse time
>>
>>1277316
I had to visit Warsaw with depression in winter and I almost kill myself. I cannot imagine how countries that were in the actual Soviet Union are.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hy4QjmKzF1c

First part is how to make a beautifull city second part is why we don't make them anymore.

TL:DW
You can only build beautiful cities using certain guidelines.

The reason why we have ugly cities is because we have the idea that there is no objective beauty when it comes to cities, but there is.
>>
Give it a couple hundred years and it'll look "cozy" by your great-x10-great-grandson shitposting on the religion containment section of a Thai ladyboy hookup internet convention
>>
>>1277424
No it won't. You shouldn't have to wait for something to be pleasing to the eye or "cozy".

In the same vein, ugly buildings don't become agreable to look at or live around, however long you wait. Just look at that disgusting monolith in Paris, it's still considered a eyesore, and has been since its construction.
>>
File: 1456672423947.png (349 KB, 1910x926) Image search: [Google]
1456672423947.png
349 KB, 1910x926
Commieblocks are shit, especially when it's cloudy and it's the time of the year without leaves on the trees. Depressing as shit.
>>
>>1277099

That pic looks alright desu. Just needs fencing.
>>
The main problem for me with modern suburbs is, they're way too planned. Chessboard like blocks are rather boring. I like it when streets take turns, houses aren't lined up regurlarly and if there some paths in between you can take by feet. Not to mention some trees here and there.

>>1277484
It's still one of the better examples, cause it doesn't look like it's gonna go forever and there's actually some nature behind each house.
>>
File: croft.jpg (64 KB, 618x400) Image search: [Google]
croft.jpg
64 KB, 618x400
>>1277099

Scottish crofts are objectively the best form of housing known to man

>tfw you will never live on an isle in the inner hebrides

Why live?
>>
>>1277200
>certain charm
it may not look pretty at first glance, but at street level it has a feel to it

but I can't expect a robot to have feelings can I?
>>
File: 1460048049084.png (197 KB, 300x410) Image search: [Google]
1460048049084.png
197 KB, 300x410
>>1277525
>tfw you will never live on an isle in the inner hebrides
>Why live?

Living on Islay right here, it's not that great. Nobody lives in houses like those anymore, most of them are just terraced houses, because 90% of everyone lives in villages. And there is fuck all to do unless you seriously enjoy getting drunk at the pub every night, or spending your days browing 4chan on your 2mbs 'broadband' and playing Dota with 150 - 500ms ping to EU west like me.

But the landscape is really fucking pretty and everybody is really friendly (because everyone is basically related) so thats cool I guess.
>>
>>1277662

Islay looks gorgeous
>spend every night down at the pub with your mates, live in a beautiful area, strong sense of community, shitty internet so you have to seek other forms of entertainment outside your house, be somewhat secluded from all the bullshit of the world

Sounds like paradise to me, but then that's exactly the kind of stuff I'd get off on. Hiking, riding my bike around, sailing, tending gardens, pubs, writing etc.
>>
>efficiency and expediency > anything else
>>
>>1277467
Kek
>>
>>1277099

I find that it's mostly cities and suburbs that are completely devoid of any personality and just look completely and totally manufactured. From the houses that are extremely same-y to the yards that seem immaculately kept up for absolutely no reason beyond looks.

It's sad, and I absolutely hate going to either a city or a suburb after living in a rural area for all my life. It just seems too... fake, you know?
>>
ive never seen a beautiful old city that transcends culture
>>
>>1277662
I know a lad who lives on Islay, he has a pretty big comfy house though.
>>
>>1277117
thats because theres like a million fucking retarded rules and regulations you have to follow just to put a post in the ground. back then, you could be any retard who wanted to.
Plus today, artists have at least 4 years of college loans to pay off whereas back in the day, they were cheap and didnt spend their time animating cartoons or graphic novels
>>
>>1277099
That neighborhood looks comfortable.
>>
>>1277417
That was a good video anon. Thank you.
>>
>>1277121
What do you mean by improving?
>>
>>1278070
I think that guy was talking about the Montparnasse tower, not the Eiffel tower.
>>
File: 1460687874785.jpg (31 KB, 480x547) Image search: [Google]
1460687874785.jpg
31 KB, 480x547
>>1277417
>school of life
>>
>>1277099
Honestly, the first thing to pop into my mind was this.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ldPTL8fyHBY
Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.