[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I have this coin.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 6
File: coin1.jpg (39 KB, 480x640) Image search: [Google]
coin1.jpg
39 KB, 480x640
guys my family has this old coin. I live in Tunisia (land of Carthage, but we were also occupied by the romans)
I wanted to know more about the coin, but found nothing on the internet. and obviously I can't ask historians in here because it's illegal to own such thing.

so any help guys?
more pics below
>>
File: coin2.jpg (34 KB, 480x640) Image search: [Google]
coin2.jpg
34 KB, 480x640
>>1277030

the other face
>>
File: coin3.jpg (23 KB, 480x640) Image search: [Google]
coin3.jpg
23 KB, 480x640
>>1277030
>>1277032

width
>>
>>1277030

Why is it illegal?
>>
File: oldrep.jpg (1 MB, 831x1200) Image search: [Google]
oldrep.jpg
1 MB, 831x1200
>>1277030
If it is real, and I have no idea if it is, then you should seal it up in a plastic bag, and keep it away from light and anybody's hands.
>>
>>1277030
It'a Ptolemaic tetradrachm I reckon
>>
>>1277030
Reported. Enjoy your 10 year prison sentence and your 100 lashes.
>>
>>1277078

OP here. Please don't. I don't want my daughters to be sold off as slaves.
>>
>>1277051

All artifacts are supposed to be government's proprietary.
you don't have the same law in the US ? oh wait..

>>1277070
It is real. what's the use of in in a plastic bag

>>1277074
They don't look similar , but it's the same style so it might be greek after all.

>>1277112
i'm also suing you for impersonation OP.
>>
>>1277172
>All artifacts are supposed to be government's proprietary.
>you don't have the same law in the US ? oh wait..

I was asking an honest question out of interest and I have never so much as visited the USA.
>>
>>1277030

It's a modern fake. How could you possibly think otherwise? Just look at it. If I were being generous I'd say it was made of brass, but it is more likely made of 'pot metal'. The legend is meaningless - but is in 'Latin' characters. The front appears to begin reading TRAI which would be Trajan - but a quick look at any of his coinage online will show you how unlikely this is. The reverse is meaningless nonsense - DHNAOKOCIMVAT ORUO CVTOT. This would make no sense in either Latin or Greek characters.

It is far larger and thicker than any ancient coin you would be likely to find in that part of the Mediterranean.

The 'style' is poor and blurred - a definite sign it is cast. It has been patinated chemically, and if you look at the edge, the scratches are from the casting lines being filed off.

It is tourist tat - it cannot possibly be a forgery designed to convince.

You can take my word for it, or you could post it to a numismatic website. It will take less than 30 seconds for it to be laughed off.

t. PhD in Roman and Greek numismatics.
>>
>>1277286

Tl;dr - the size, style, thickness, legend, chemical patination, filing marks all show unequivocally that this is a modern piece of tourist tat. Definitely won't be going to prison for owning it.
>>
>>1277030
Cheap cast fake.
>>
>>1277032
That "Latin" is gibberish and the coin is not well defined at all- the images are too poor to be genuine and the thickness of that thing is bonkers.
Ultra fake brah
>>
>>1277030
That looks absolutely fake as fuck.
>>
>Replies with add little
>Some guy makes a long post explaining why its not a true coin
>Then a fuckton of guys appear to claim "fake"
>>
File: 1464221705646.jpg (225 KB, 600x616) Image search: [Google]
1464221705646.jpg
225 KB, 600x616
>>1277172
Most artefacts in the US are bought from private citizens by private collectors for their own collection or for museums. The government only rarely steps in when the artefact is found on government land (and even then, they only ever try to seize it if it's illegal, like a hunk of recent ivory, or if it's a gigantic cache of gold). However, citizens have contested these claims, and even won.

Finder's keepers laws of America
>>
>>1277423
I don't read threads before posting :^)
>>
OP probably bought this in a gift shop
>>
File: clanis coin.jpg (33 KB, 500x249) Image search: [Google]
clanis coin.jpg
33 KB, 500x249
>>1277286
>>1277295
Hey anon, while you're here what's the deal with the Clanis Coins that seem to show black people.

I've heard the theory that they might've been minted in honor of Nubian mahmouts, and obviously everyone knows about Afrocentrists trying to claim that Hannibal was black because of them. I thought they were fake at first because they clashed with other Carthaginian coins I looked at and 99% of sources I found for them were Afrocentric nonsense, but I'm not too sure.
>>
>>1278921
Hannibal was an empowered black women.
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.