[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What is the history of heliocentrism in East Asia?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 3
File: Heliocentric.jpg (62 KB, 570x480) Image search: [Google]
Heliocentric.jpg
62 KB, 570x480
What is the history of heliocentrism in East Asia?
>>
>>1342365
Chinese Astronomy-and ergo, East Asian- models viewed Spess as a place where the planets just floated.

Since it floated in the infinite vastness of space, the Chinese were of the opinion that nothing could be the center of anything in the universe.
>>
>>1343491
That's more in line with modern view of the universe, right?

Although there should be a center, where the Big Bang originated.
>>
>>1342365
A clearer picture of heiocentrism is painted in Indian history. Their early vedic texts (9th century BCE) suggests a vaguely spherical world and spherical sun. With the sun as a static center and the earth spinning around. No real mathematical work links to this.

The Greeks got to this idea around 4th-5th century BCE. They toyed with the idea and the limited math they could to calculate.

The later Indian 5th-6th century astronomy works and mathematical works provide a more clearer heliocentric system, including earth, the moon and other planets in solar system. Most notably the accuracy of the rotation of earth down to couple minutes.

Muslims world got to this conclusion around 11th century, mathematically.

And the europe got to this mathematically around 16th century.
>>
File: 1455964637240.png (512 KB, 946x3209) Image search: [Google]
1455964637240.png
512 KB, 946x3209
>>1343573
>math is real!!! the universe is just a bunch of numbers!!!111

found the undergrad believing scientific realism
>>
File: image.jpg (48 KB, 625x781) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
48 KB, 625x781
heliocentric wiki page mentions nothing of east asia. only indian and islamic thought.

from the chinese astronomy wiki page: "the telescope was introduced in the early 17th century"

thats pretty late. I think this means east asia never thought of a cosmos beyond earth surrounded by a celestial sphere with lights in it. although they were apparently as observant as tycho of these lights. its actually really hard to deduce any other cosmological model without a telescope. i think tycho, while contemporaries with copernicus and kepler, still believed in geocentricism, albeit "updated," and didnt use a telescope much for his observations. i think he was the last european astronomer not to rely heavily on a telescope.
>>
>>1343590
Mathematical models are one of the strongest point of scientific models. Almost all modern scientific models are based off of mathematical models.

You don't have to believe math is real to make use of it.
>>
>>1343573
>Muslims world got to this conclusion around 11th century, mathematically
really?

so muslims discovered everything copernicus and kepler arrived at before them?

please tell me the names of the muslims astronomers and the specific discoveries each astronomer. what math did they use? from what i understand kepler seemed to have used mostly geometry. did muslims mathematically determine heliocentric models via algebra?
>>
>>1343567
That's not how the Big Bang worked. There is no center in the same way that there is not center to the surface of a balloon. All space was part of the initial singularity.
>>
>>1343641
>everything
Are you intentionally being stupid or just a retard?
>>
>>1343590
The hell is your problem? Fail math in highschool now you shitpost everyone states the fact that it is important and necessary to humanity's conception of the universe?
>>
>>1343491
So East Asia never even tried to explain how or why the planets moved different than the stars? Lazy bastard.
>>
>>1343687
They did.

They just couldnt form a consensus.

>https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chinese_astronomy#Cosmology
>The Chinese developed three different cosmological models. The Gai Tian, or hemispherical dome, model conceived the heavens as a hemisphere lying over a dome-shaped earth. The second cosmological model, associated with the Hun Tian school, saw the heavens as a celestial sphere not unlike the spherical models developed in the Greek and Hellenistic traditions. The third cosmology, associated with the Xuan Ye school, viewed the heavens as infinite in extent and the celestial bodies as floating about at rare intervals, and "the speed of the luminaries depends on their individual natures, which shows they are not attached to anything."

The first one is rather interdasting because the Earth is assumed to be also infinite. An edgeless flat earth if you will.
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.