[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Do you hold historical scientists morally accountable? Joseph
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1
File: goldberg.jpg (26 KB, 599x749) Image search: [Google]
goldberg.jpg
26 KB, 599x749
Do you hold historical scientists morally accountable?

Joseph Goldberger, assigned to study pellagra by the surgeon general, fed prisoners a restricted diet which he believed would induce pellagra. But this diet of corn, coffee, and cabbage was considered healthy by most people at the time, only Goldberger thought it would be harmful. No one accepted he was right until after the pellagra-stricken prisoners were released
>>
>>1339962
>Goldberger
>>
>>1340026
Your scare-greentext doesn't really work if it's the man who discovered how to cure pellagra
>>
I suppose it depends on what you view as wrong and whether or not the benefits of such horrible experiments were good for humanity.

As far as I am aware of, they tested Smallpox vaccines on orphaned children and prisoners before providing it to the aristocracy, and they used orphans to carry cowpox across the pond to the USA to start treatments there. Obviously the benefits of smallpox vaccines are apparent.

As a scientist and someone who loves to engage in philosophy, I kinda have a weird perspective into both worlds, considering I have seen people who'd use human infants for testing drugs on Malaria if given the option
>>
>>1340404
>I have seen people who'd use human infants for testing drugs on Malaria if given the option

Like, in person?
>>
It really depends on their intent and what they thought about their test subjects (if that applies).
Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.