[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Now, I know that there's Interlingua, which is basically
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1
Now, I know that there's Interlingua, which is basically a simplified form of Latin, or perhaps a sort of aggregate Romance language, designed to be more or less understandable immediately to anyone who speaks either a Romance language or a language with a sizable quantity of Latin loanwords. I also know about Folkspraak, which is intended to be something similar for the Germanic languages (although, really, don't most of the Germanic languages already have enough of the 'international' Latin vocabulary borrowed that Interlingua would require fairly little study for their speakers?) and I vaguely recall hearing about a similar type of project for the Slavic languages. I'm wondering, has there ever been such a project for things outside of Europe? For example, Sanskrit is the source of very many words, not only for many of the languages of modern India, to which it is a direct ancestor, but also to much of Southeast Asia, where the vocabulary spread with Buddhism. For example, many common words in Thai come from Sanskrit or Pali (a Prakrit). So, couldn't a form of simplified Sanskrit, like how Interlingua is simplified Latin have a similar 'immediate mostly-comprehensiblity' effect to much of Southeast Asia? (Though due to the diversity of scripts it would probably have to be written in Roman letters, simply because that's the most broadly recognized one.) Similar possibilities present themselves for the 'zones of influence' of any of the major classical languages (Latin, Greek, Arabic, Sanskrit, Chinese).
>>
Most of this board probably doesn't have an answer, but bumping anyways for interesting idea
>>
>>1273106
>Now, I know that there's Interlingua, which is basically a simplified form of Latin, or perhaps a sort of aggregate Romance language, designed to be more or less understandable immediately to anyone who speaks either a Romance language or a language with a sizable quantity of Latin loanwords

Why not just use Latin?
>>
>>1275021
Lingua Latina Retarded Est
>>
>>1275264

(Confusion sentence structure)
>>
>>1275021
Because even though the vocabulary is very widely recognizable, Latin grammar, with its (I believe) 6 cases, 5 declensions, and numerous irregular verbs, is awfully hard for most people. Plus, using Classical Latin as-is wouldn't quite be optimal; the optimum recognizability quotient would probably be attained by a mix of Medieval Latin and Vulgar Latin or something like that.
Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.