[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Traditional Muslim Headwear
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 4
File: hijab-photo.jpg (171 KB, 500x447) Image search: [Google]
hijab-photo.jpg
171 KB, 500x447
Tell me about the hijab, burka, niqab, etc;

Why do they wear it? Where did they originate from? If I pull it off will they die?
>>
>>1271135
It would be extremely painful.
>>
>>1271139

She's a big girl
>>
>>1271142
For Jew
>>
>>1271146
I kek'd far too hard for that corny-assed joke
>>
>>1271135
Traditional head coverings have been a thing for along time in Europe and the Middle East, especially for married women. The Hijab likely derives from the same impulse, and takes its various forms among different Muslim communities according to their views on feminine modesty.
>>
>>1271135
Was a thing before islam but sticked around because they considered it to meet with the modest requirements of wear that the quran asks for.
>>
>>1271179
memes aside, i was more interested in knowing what the quran says about headwear and if muslim women are required to wear it.

I know very little on the subject and am genuinely curious of it.
>>
>>1271207
>>1271207
Here are all the dressing codes mentioned in the quran

[Quran 7:26] "O children of Adam, we have provided you with garments to cover your bodies, as well as for luxury. But the best garment is the garment of righteousness. These are some of God's signs, that they may take heed."

[Quran 24:31]And tell the believing women to reduce [some] of their vision and guard their private parts and not expose their adornment except that which [necessarily] appears thereof and to wrap [a portion of] their headcovers over their chests and not expose their adornment except to their husbands, their fathers, their husbands' fathers, their sons, their husbands' sons, their brothers, their brothers' sons, their sisters' sons, their women, that which their right hands possess, or those male attendants having no physical desire, or children who are not yet aware of the private aspects of women. And let them not stamp their feet to make known what they conceal of their adornment. And turn to Allah in repentance, all of you, O believers, that you might succeed.

[Quran 33:59] O prophet, tell your wives, your daughters, and the wives of the believers that they shall LENGTHEN their garments. Thus, they will be recognized and avoid being insulted. God is Forgiver, Most Merciful.

[Quran 33:55] The women may relax (their dress code) around their fathers, their sons, their brothers, the sons of their brothers, the sons of their sisters, the other women, and their (female) servants. They shall reverence God. God witnesses all things.

[Quran 24:60] The elderly women who do not expect to get married commit nothing wrong by relaxing their dress code, provided they do not reveal too much of their bodies. To maintain modesty is better for them. God is Hearer, Knower.
To answer your question there's nothing that specifiies that you should cover your head but to lengthen your garments and not to hide what you find necessary (your eyes,ears etc).
>>
File: large.jpg (237 KB, 500x719) Image search: [Google]
large.jpg
237 KB, 500x719
Head coverings have a long history in the desert both for practical reasons and for reasons of indicating high-status and/or possession by a man. They pre-date islam.

In the 20th century and the coming of modernism they fell out of fashion, and were basically unseen in much of the islamic world (even in places like afghanistan), just like how the fedora went extinct in western society (the one or two young women who did wear them were basically hijab tipping losers).

Then a few decades ago a youth movement sprung up in places like iran and egypt. Like all youth movements, the edgy teenagers rebelled against their parents. Unlike in the west where teen rebellion meant sex, drugs, and rock and roll, in the islamic world being a teen rebel meant wearing hijab (for women, and growing a beard for men) and going to mosque.

Remember there were 'teen rebel' extremists in the west too: they preached communism and blew up buildings because of americas involvement in vietnam (see: the weathermen). Their god was Marx. Eventually the generation grew up.

In the islamic world the 'teen rebels' though also committed terrorism, but in the name of islam rather than communism. Their god was qutb. Unlike the western kids the islamic kids were successful in a lot of ways, in egypt and iran and saudi arabia for example, and over time their viewpoint became popular, and where they gained power they enforced the wearing of headwear as they got older.
>>
>>1271247
I can confirm the validity of this.

t.egypsy
>>
>>1271135
first of all it was a christian tradition first which is still a thing among orthodox women and even catholic nuns still make a point to hide their hair

then, it's not "muslim" headwear and more like arabic headwear because some other islamic nations often have other clothing customs more closer to their own ehtnical culture
>>
File: tali.jpg (262 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
tali.jpg
262 KB, 1920x1080
>>1271135

I don't know too much about Muslim head coverings but I did date a girl from a somewhat similar nomadic tribal honor culture. In there society though even the men wore head coverings. It was because of their weakened immune systems. I'm not sure if it's the same in Islam.

>pic related, my girl.
>>
File: Laughter 2.gif (3 MB, 200x150) Image search: [Google]
Laughter 2.gif
3 MB, 200x150
>>1271312
>>
>>1271247
>hijab tipping losers
thanks for the mental pic
>>
>>1271135
The first Culture to be recorded using it were the Assyrians
Then it spread to the rest of the ME/Europe/India/Persia/Turan
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.