[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>Friend calls Odin the god of thunder. >Correct him. >"Sorry
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 3
File: 700.jpg (47 KB, 700x396) Image search: [Google]
700.jpg
47 KB, 700x396
>Friend calls Odin the god of thunder.
>Correct him.
>"Sorry I don't know totally useless knowledge about Greek gods."

How do people tolerate others who don't see the value of history?
>>
Mythology isn't history, dumbass
>>
File: image.jpg (46 KB, 580x382) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
46 KB, 580x382
>>1270611
We don't. We don't tolerate ignorance. If you choose to, then so be it.
>>
>>1270621
Sorry, I'm leaving out some context here. That's what the conflict eventually ended up, him saying that knowing things such as the culture and religion of historical people's was not valuable.
>>
The unenlightened lack strong souls and possess an overwhelming focus on utility. You can be nice to them, but you'll never find real kinship.
>>
>>1270621
Theres no difference, you fleak.
>>
>>1270621
Mythology is narratized history.
>>
Odin = Ouranos = Varuna, fun fact
>>
>>1270611
>How do people tolerate others who don't see the value of history?

not knowing totally useless knowledge about Greek gods isn't history lmao
>>
I quoted Rumi once at a party and got looked at like I was crazy
>>
>>1270871
You're a retard
>>
>>1270899
No anon, you are the retard.
>>
>>1270621
Mythology is a great insight into ancient psychology.

>>1270626
What is valuable?

>>1270895
Never quote.

>>1270871
Jupiter, or rather you patre, is equivalent to Zeus the thunder God. Asatru and Hellenism seem to have lots in common with varying Slavic paganry glueing them in between, the more north you go the closer they are to Asatru, the more south you go the closer they are to Hellenism.

Now for the real brain buster, Romuva is similar to Hinduism and neither is similar to Tengrism which is the religion of the Turkic people said to have invaded India and brought Vedicism.
>>
>>1270871
Why only the Nords gave so much importance to Odin? I always found it very contrasting the simple nordic people putting the God of Wisdom, Death and Justice before all others, while with the more refined greeks it's the Thunder God who killed his own father.
>>
>>1270970

Most Nords worshiped simpler gods like Thor and Freyr.

Odin's position as the top could be explained by the fact that Germanic kings also functioned as priests

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Germanic_kingship
>>
>>1270970
The old ways were conquered by the new, that's the symbolism there, before Zeus I think the head God was Chronos, god of time. You can mull over those implications yourself.

When the Greeks entered a dark age, the new group of Greeks decided to begin a new and shame the old gods. This is identical to how Catholics called old gods demons and the practice of "enthusiasm" demon possession.

>>1271016
This too. Polytheism is generally a lot less strict. In the end these religions are rarely about genuine beliefs.
>>
>>1270944
Cool delusions
>>
>>1270855
Bingo. I'd look at Snorri Sturlusson's view on the topic.
>>
I seldom even correct people on theology apart from 4chan unless they are explicitly looking to learn, and I actually believe that God exists.
>>
>>1271289
You have no room to correct anybody about anything. You're always wrong. Why would you wear a trip if you constantly spout objectively verifiably incorrect information?
>>
>>1271289
>>1271303
No, actually, I amend my opinion, you could probably correct people if they're not being big enough of a faggot; that you have on lock
>>
>>1270611
I have a sister who is exactly like that. I knew lots of stuff abut greek gods when i was a kid, and she said "That knowledge is totally useless!"
>>
>>1270611
Fucking nerds

Other people also fuck and have a life in general,they don't spend all day studying history and such
>>
>>1272487

I used to believe this shit, that stupid people have fun lives and get laid every night, while smart and geeky people are sad virgins who never leave their home. I've always been a nerdy guy, and I thought my fate was to be forever alone.

Why is this lie perpetuated so?
>>
File: Amaterasu_cave.jpg (252 KB, 1014x491) Image search: [Google]
Amaterasu_cave.jpg
252 KB, 1014x491
>>1270944
>Tengrism
What's interesting is that it seems to have similarities to Shinto and stuff like that.
(For example, compare Gün Ana to Amaterasu.)
>Amaterasu (天照) is a part of the Japanese myth cycle and also a major deity of the Shinto religion. She is seen as the goddess of the sun, but also of the universe.
>Gün Ana is the common Turkic solar deity, treated as a goddess in the Kazakh and Kyrgyz mythologies.
>Gök Tanrı created the earth with rays of sun light, thus, Gun Ana took part in the creation of earth. Solar rays are also considered to be "strings" between the sun and the spirits of plants, animals and humans.
>rocks, trees, rivers, animals, places, and even people can be said to possess the nature of kami.
>There are natural places considered to have an unusually sacred spirit about them, and are objects of worship. They are frequently mountains, trees, unusual rocks, rivers, waterfalls, and other natural things.
>[Tengrism] involves shamanism, animism, totemism and ancestor worship.
>Early anthropologists called Shinto "animistic" in which animate and inanimate things have spirits or souls that are worshiped. The concept of animism in Shinto is no longer argued.
>巫女 ("Miko" - Shinto shrine maiden) a compound of the kanji 巫 ('shaman'), and 女 ('woman').

>Gok Tengri - God of Sky. Creator of everything. Tengri was the main god of the Turkic pantheon, controlling the celestial sphere.
>Amenominakanushi (天御中主 "All-Father of the Originating Hub", or 天之御中主神 "Heavenly Ancestral God of the Originating Heart of the Universe") is, according to the Kojiki,[1] the first kami, and the source of the universe according to Shintoism.[2] In mythology he is described as a "god who came into being alone" (hitorigami)

I'm an ignant American, and mildly a weeb, plus I got all this from Wikipedia, so I'm probably wrong though t. b. h.
>>
>>1270611
You should've killed him for disrespecting you and your knowledge.
>>
>>1273893
well if you are socially able and not always spouting history and stuff like this you can obviously pull it off
>>
>>1276753
Plus you've got a cache of good quotes and shit. If you hide your coursework, you'll sound clever.

And if a qt recognizes are more obscure line that's dropped, as long as you aren't being a fucking autist about it, there's your in.
>>
>>1270611
your friend sounds insecure
>>
>>1270611
tell them there is no value in anything and all knowledge is equally useful, or useless
Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.