[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Pilgrimages
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2
File: pilgrimage.jpg (1 MB, 1600x1200) Image search: [Google]
pilgrimage.jpg
1 MB, 1600x1200
What is their purpose?
Do they still hold any value today, or are they just a relic of times past?

Also, I live in Canterbury and I am thinking of walking to Rome. Should I?
>>
>>1266407
If you live in the isles don't you guys walk up mountains barefoot & it's the same as a pilgrimage
>>
>>1266407
>Also, I live in Canterbury and I am thinking of walking to Rome. Should I?
That would be fun regardless of what religion you follow.
>>
>>1266451

https://youtu.be/Kay2v1ao9Xg?t=12m36s
>>
Yeah, pilgrimages are nice even If you don't believe in god.
Though I think Rome would be a bit disappointing. I went there by train and was unimpressed, so after all the effort of walking there...
So don't stop there, go to Jerusalem after that and come back through Santiago de compostela.
>>
>>1266407
Pilgrimages are what you make of them, just like faith.
>Faith or disbelief should be a result of active, ongoing, thoughtful analysis of your personal experiences and how sacred tests and scientific literature impact your decisions to believe or not believe in one or more deities. True faith is *not* blindly accepting texts and the opinions of others as personal truth; it is the active personal discovery of what the presence or absence of a deity in your life means to you. The faith or disbelief of any one individual should grow and change over time.

tl;dr - it's the journey not the destination
>>
>>1266407
to rake in revenue
>>
>>1266775
>sacred tests and scientific literatu
lek

>>1266775
>it's the journey not the destination
found the impotent dwelling in hedonism
>>
File: 1463665482779.png (228 KB, 499x698) Image search: [Google]
1463665482779.png
228 KB, 499x698
>>1266407
Do it man. I went to Rome from Ireland with my cousin. We did alot of walking and well sometimes sleeping outside (like savages), and it was worth it. We got cash money sent over to the card and we checked into a nice hotel in Rome, went to the Vatican and all. Well worth it. Going to Santiago in Spain this year.
>>
>>1266502
Oh yeah because I have years spare to walk...
>>
>>1267511
I wish I had time. I only have two-three weeks this summer.
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.