[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
European History
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1
File: o-GREEK-PHILOSOPHY-570.jpg (71 KB, 570x378) Image search: [Google]
o-GREEK-PHILOSOPHY-570.jpg
71 KB, 570x378
I have become interested in learning about the history of this region, but do not have much of a background in it or in history in general. I am looking for something that is not as dry as a textbook, but a book that is comprehensive and engaging. English is my second language, and I don't know where to start. In particular, I would love to better understand the sociological, political, and ideological development of western society. Any suggestion? Also, feel free to include any interesting snippets of European history in the thread.
>>
>>1265985
What's your first language?
>>
>>1265985
Read a book about Ancient Rome if you want to learn a lot about European history. Focus on imperial period and the rise of Christianity. Also a a book about Ancient Greece is also good.
>>
>>1266047
Spanish
>>
To get you started Mediterranean history is quite different than European history. The reason I say this is the Greeks are Mediterranean but at that time sweet fuck all was going on in the tribal areas of Europe.

> and ideological development of western society
All you need to read are the Greeks. But it is dry, dry =/= boring though.
>>
>>1265985
The key to understanding Europe is understanding the Roman Empire. Read as much as you can about the Romans- the Republic, the peak early Imperial period, but especially the late Roman Empire, whose shadow really grafted itself upon Europe for centuries.

With that sort of cultural background, learn about the Middle Ages. Read about Byzantium and the Franks and begin to transition that into understanding the Crusades, the Black Plague and the changes they wrought.

Delve a little bit into the Spanish conquest of the Americas and how the New World changed Europe forever. Also, learn about the Italian Wars, the Protestant Reformation and Charles V. The 16th century is a major turning point in European history and from that turning point everyone decides to go speeding down a bloody highway, that is, the 17th century.

For the 17th century, I'd recommend a thorough account on the Thirty Years' War. Peter Wilson has a good one called Europe's Tragedy out, it's dense, but useful. After the war, the balance of power shifts rapidly for the next 75 or so years. Read about Louis XIV and France as a superpower, but also read about those who tried to stop him, particularly William of Orange. Definitely read about Peter the Great, his life and times are vital for understanding how Russia became a great power. Finally, check out the life of Frederick the Great to see how Prussia also joined that rank. His life should also give you the highlights of the "Stately Quadrille" of the 18th century.

The 18th century builds up to the French Revolution, and study it in and the following Napoleonic period in depth. I'm not as well versed in the 19th century, but you should definitely check out the Revolutions of 1848, the Franco-Prussian War and the British Empire.
>>
>>1265985
"Western" =/= European
Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.