[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is Revelations a bunch of complicated metaphors, some madman's
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 5
File: Revelation-1.jpg (16 KB, 443x296) Image search: [Google]
Revelation-1.jpg
16 KB, 443x296
Is Revelations a bunch of complicated metaphors, some madman's predictions or John's self-insert fanfic?
>>
>Literally posts a pic with the book's title
>Calls it "RevelationS"
>>
>>1263150
The Revelation of Jesus Christ is the most awesome book ever written.
>>
psychedelic
>>
Remove Rome: the book
>>
>>1263167
In the same way Clive Barker books are awesome? I agree. Grotesque and fantastic quasi-philosophical horror at its finest.
>>
Combination of (not very complicated and quite unsubtle) metaphors and some madman's predictions/delusions.
>>
>>1263150
It's thinly veiled propaganda mocking rome and also trying to reassure the christian faithful that their messiah shall return at some point.
>>
It's a book of Daniel fanfic
>>
I wann see a movie of this!
>>
>>1263182
And then every level gets creepier when you start realizing to your horror that it is all true, and happening all around you.
>>
>>1263150
Even Nostradamus is accurate if you start with the prediction and try to justify it.
>>
>>1263190
You cannot understand the Revelation until and unless you understand the 65 books that precede it, most notably Daniel, who made many of the same prophecies 700 years before John did.

In the bible, in God's economy, things are established under the witness of 2 or 3 witnesses.
>>
>>1263196
>>the bible is true
No it isn't.
>>
>>1263150
It's a revenge fantasy of a member of some failed jewish cult. I doubt that John was even affiliated with any kind of christian sect.
>>
>>1263207

>someone predicted something that hasn't happened yet, and we know that it's going to happen because someone else, in writing freely available, made the same predictions seven hundred years EARLIER! It's proof!

Christcucks yet again being this dumb.
>>
>>1263210
Every word; every jot; every tittle.
>>
>>1263216
John the beloved Apostle of Jesus Christ Himself?

kek
>>
>>1263218
Yes, and the proof is that the near fulfillment of the abomination of desecration under Antiochus IV that sparked the Maccabees revolt a century or so before Christ presaged the end time event when the Antichrist will do the same thing.
>>
File: 1430347627272.gif (2 MB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
1430347627272.gif
2 MB, 500x500
>>1263223
lol no.

0/10

Apply yourself you faggot.
>>
>>1263150
No, it's bascially just "Fuck you, Romans": the book
>>
>>1263224
John the apostle =/= John the evangelist =/= John of Revelation.
>>
>>1263150
Things John wrote about @ 95 AD:

1. 200,000,000 man army sporting fiery red, hyacinth blue, and sulfur yellow emblems, marching from the East to the Holy Land during the Tribulation.

That army is in China, today.

2. The bodies of the two witnesses in the end times in the streets of Jerusalem will be viewed by everyone on the planet, in real time.

Such a thing is now trivial.

3. The mark of the beast will be placed on the right hand (or forehead) of everyone under a one world government in order to buy or sell.

Those biochips are already being implanted in people in China and India.

4. The world will be divided into 10 zones, or kingdoms, and each king will give his power to the antichrist.

The world was so divided in 1972.

John also was told the fate of the 7 churches in Asia Minor, and the fate of their types of church, and their order of predominance in the church age.

It has played out flawlessly.
>>
>>1263203
No, he's about 8% accurate.

All of God's prophets are 100% accurate, or they die.
>>
>>1263239
Same man.
>>
>>1263246
>That army is in China, today.
Why?
>>
>>1263239
You literally stumbled on the introduction.

Revelation 1
The Revelation of Jesus Christ, which God gave Him to show His servants—things which must shortly take place. And He sent and signified it by His angel to His servant John, who bore witness to the word of God, and to the testimony of Jesus Christ, to all things that he saw.
>>
>>1263257
To harry the Antichrist's forces from the east, causing him to retreat from the south and face the new threat.

Also note that Turkey has the power to dam up the Euphrates right now, with the biggest dam ever made.
>>
>>1263252
How exactly? Gospel of John at no point says that it was written by THAT John, nor does Book of Revelation. And writing styles of Gospel of John and Book of Revelation make idea that they were writtnen by the same man rather improbable. John was just a really common name.
>>
>>1263258
How exactly does that prove that John of Revelation was an apostle? "Servant of Christ" means basically ANY christian. Luke the evangelist was a servant of Christ too. So is every priest.
>>
>>1263271
>>1263258

Also, Jesus prior to His resurrection told the group standing there that some of them (and some neither precludes one nor all) would not die until they saw Jesus return in glory.

From that statement, John got the reputation that he could not die.

And before John died, standing there with Jesus and hearing that prophecy, John saw Jesus descend from heaven in glory.
>>
>>1263288
Bore witness to the word of God.

That had to have been a claim that was at least, what, 63 years old at that time, from 32 AD to 95 AD.

The John in 95 AD claimed to be a witness to Jesus' life, and to Jesus' testimony.

And also this. >>1263304
>>
>>1263177
Not really.
>>
>>1263310
>Bore witness to the word of God.
Yes. The word being the prophecy that he is writing down. What sort of proof or even a clue do we have pointing to them being the same person aside of you wanting them to be so?
>>
>>1263346
Jesus is the Word of God.

Revelation 19:13 He was clothed with a robe dipped in blood, and His name is called The Word of God.
>>
A bit of all 3.
>>
>>1263346
Matthew 16:28 “Assuredly, I say to you, there are some standing here who shall not taste death till they see the Son of Man coming in His kingdom.”

John 21
The Beloved Disciple and His Book
20 Then Peter, turning around, saw the disciple whom Jesus loved following, who also had leaned on His breast at the supper, and said, “Lord, who is the one who betrays You?” 21 Peter, seeing him, said to Jesus, “But Lord, what about this man?”

22 Jesus said to him, “If I will that he remain till I come, what is that to you? You follow Me.”

23 Then this saying went out among the brethren that this disciple would not die. Yet Jesus did not say to him that he would not die, but, “If I will that he remain till I come, what is that to you?”

24 This is the disciple who testifies of these things, and wrote these things; and we know that his testimony is true.
>>
>>1263359
And he witnessed him in his full glory in a vision brought down by an angel as John himself said.
>>
>>1263371
Er, yes, kind of.

John saw the real thing; John traveled through time.
>>
>>1263258
so you the author of revelation is referring to himself in 3rd person?
>>
>>1263573
so you *think the author...
>>
>>1263150
John does make it clear that it's a dream.

Probably one from God telling many truths in an abstract, metaphoric way.
>>
File: 1456710680518.png (359 KB, 474x528) Image search: [Google]
1456710680518.png
359 KB, 474x528
>>1263210
>>
>>1263573
Yes.

John often called himself "the disciple whom Jesus loved".
>>
>>1263740
John makes it clear it is not a dream.
>>
Slave morality wet dreams of revenge episode.
>>
>>1263772
Nightmare truth crashing down on your impotent head reality.
>>
>>1263789
>truth
>“For the Son of Man is going to come in the glory of His Father with His angels, and will then repay every man according to his deeds. Truly I say to you, there are some of those who are standing here who will not taste death until they see the Son of Man coming in His kingdom.“ (Matthew 16: 27, 28)
Ouch.
>>
File: vespasiancoin.jpg (35 KB, 510x266) Image search: [Google]
vespasiancoin.jpg
35 KB, 510x266
>>1263340
Yes really
>>
>>1263755
Is there a situation where John refers to himself as "the disciple whom Jesus loved" where "the disciple whom Jesus loved" is not used to identify that John is the one saying it?
>>
>>1263246
China doesn't have an army of 200,000,000. When you lump the reserves, it barely makes 2 mil.

200,000,000 million is like warhammer40k shit with space fleets and planetary armies.
>>
File: 1392056412432.jpg (172 KB, 683x716) Image search: [Google]
1392056412432.jpg
172 KB, 683x716
>>1263749
Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.