[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Freuds meaning in 2016
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1
File: freud.jpg (64 KB, 768x432) Image search: [Google]
freud.jpg
64 KB, 768x432
Freud's great legacy is indisputable, however I wonder if any of his ideas actually still hold merit in 2016?

People seem to love to still quote Freud in all sorts of context. Sex sells of course, and I'm sure people are intrigued by the naughty and juicy bits of Freudianism. But is trying to pass his ideas as still valid today, after years of development in the field of psychology, plainly ignorant or misleading?
Would an educated psychiatrist really quote Freud as much as, say, pop culture does?
>>
>>1334499
Freud was a genius and his theory on unconscious was an eye opener to us. We are all aware of our sexual behaviour, our childhood experiences some of which make us what we are without being aware what happened. Life has moved on since then. The world has become more and more self cantered , families have less contact with each other and the curse of loneliness and depression has increased.In fact more than 20% people suffer with 'mental' problems. Our physical health, on the other hand has improved and we live longer now compared to 100 years ago. We must learn more about our mind and why happiness is eluding majority of us. Freud started a movement, we must research further.
>>
>>1334499

>however I wonder if any of his ideas actually still hold merit in 2016?

All of them

>Would an educated psychiatrist really quote Freud as much as, say, pop culture does?

No , their aproach is different.

>Sex sells of course

I don't know a single psychoanalist that makes big money, but you know what sells? pills. Is a huge bussines, there are pills for every "mental problem."
>>
>>1334499
Freud is a con artist.
He couldn't even apply his own theory of fixation to his cigar chewing habit
>>
>>1334499
>Would an educated psychiatrist really quote Freud as much as, say, pop culture does?

Not at all, really.
In modern psychology and psychiatry Freud is respected as one of the pioneers of research into psychological health and development, but nothing more.
>>
he was a weird guy with mommy issues :(
>>
>>1336056
so he would have been a 4channer?
>>
>>1336056
Funnily enough he was raised by a nanny, but had no sexual desires towards her.
Completely flies in the face of his "theory"
Guys a hack and only used anecdotes for his "science"
Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.