[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/his/-related vidya
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 188
Thread images: 35
File: 1465405788505.jpg (680 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
1465405788505.jpg
680 KB, 1920x1080
Hey. So I've played CK2 and Victoria2 a lot, and tried a few other paradox games. Are there any other good his-related games? Not necessarily as immersive as these, just games that transport you to a different, historically accurate era.
>>
I literally can't into EUIV, but ckii is dank
>>
>>1258453
COSSACKS
O
S
S
A
C
K
S
>>
>tfw you're waiting for HoI4 to become a good game.
>>
If you have crippling autism you should try War in the Pacific: Admiral Edition, the games can take years and there is a truly autistic amount of detail in there
>>1258465
You'll be waiting for a while lad
>>
>tfw you bought HoI4
>>
>>1258465
>>1258496
>>1258519
It's just so boring it's unreal
>>
File: A.E.I.O.U.png (2 MB, 748x1259) Image search: [Google]
A.E.I.O.U.png
2 MB, 748x1259
Daily reminder
A.E.I.O.U
>>
>>1258519
>tfw not going to even bother pirating it unless I get to hear my friend is genuinely having a good time with it.
>>
File: 1459049250170.jpg (7 KB, 250x241) Image search: [Google]
1459049250170.jpg
7 KB, 250x241
>play paradox games
>they always suffer from "hard to learn, easy to master"
>they always hide their lack of depth with tons of surface "complexity"
they can still be really fun and absorbing for historical immersion and roleplaying, but there has to be a better way to design the gameplay
>>
>>1258524
It really is, you can basically win the game by 1942 which is a fucking travesty
Bravo Johan
>>
>>1258648
This
Once you can learn one of the major things to know about each game, you've basically learned it, like once you learn to be patient you've won CK2, and once you've learned to [spoiler] build liquor factories [/spoiler] you've won Vicky 2
>>
>>1258648
History vidya devs stopped trying for increasing complexity a few years back and went all in on improving graphics and music. They realized the hardcore simulationist autismbux market is dwarfed by the casual geek audience who don't need much to feel immersed and satisfied than being able to paint a map their favorite national color or hearing their soldiers shout 'IMPERATOR' at them.
>>
>>1258453
Total War games are objectively good.

Also Knights of Honor.
>>
Who /Mount and Blade/ here?
>>
>>1258939
THE BUTTONS WERE OFF BRO
I WARNED YOU ABOUT BUTTONS BRO
>>
>>1258925
But Paradox games have never been hardcore simulations. They were pretty advanced but it still felt very half-assed if you had any idea how the real world works. Especially anything concerning society and nations, it's always just a matter of waiting revolts out until suppression.

Guess HoI III was pretty complex, though, but I haven't played it.
>>
>>1258939
Knights of Honor is cash
>>
Vicky 2 would be legitimately complex if the economy wasn't broken beyond belief and the military and diplomacy systrms were polished.
>>
>>1258958
W-what?
>>
>>1258957
Me and although the base game is not historical at all (that was obvious) the historical mods are great. I love that one about early modern SEA with the super strange name.
>>
File: image.jpg (65 KB, 819x496) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
65 KB, 819x496
How do I get gud at total war Rome 2 warfare
This is the first total war game I've played and I suck war war tactics and shit
>>
>>1258648
I always thought Paradox, Total War, and even Mount&Blade titles had a lot of potential for some very in depth gameplay, but that the engine gets stretched thin and ultimately squandered on an overly ambitious scope. Each of them could theoretically do some really complex things if they only stopped trying to expand the game to kingdoms and continents and dialed it back to a single country or even province.
>>
>>1258591
?
>>
File: 1444672407841.png (662 KB, 563x628) Image search: [Google]
1444672407841.png
662 KB, 563x628
>>1258990
Not really related since it still has the base game mechanics, but there's a new mod for EU4 that reduces the scope of the game to the HRE. I haven't tried it but it looks pretty cool
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=684459310
>>
I bought Eu4 a month ago. At fist I thought this is THE game and I'd have years of fun with it.
Well, now here I am, bored as hell already.
I cant bring myself to finish a campaign anymore.
I pick some OPM, establish a power base through diplomacy and scavenging and once I am a major player in my local group I realise that I am pretty much on my way to a world power which means the campaign is basically over and then I quit.
Rinse and repeat.

What can I do about this?
>>
>>1259032
To the what now?
>>
>>1258987
Hammer and anvil son. Hammer and anvil is the awnser to all your problems. Now go and follow the steps of Alexander.
>>
>>1258990
Well, there's Shogun Total War and it's sequel. But I don't think that's what you're asking for.
>>
>>1258987
Just believe in the Roma Invicta, and the Roma Invicta will believe in you.
>>
>>1258987

It's the same in every total war game, especially against the AI.

Infantry in the center, cavalry on the flanks. Hold their infantry, go around their flanks with the cavalry, slam into their backside. Enemy routs, you cut them up.
>>
Pirated HOI4 recently and I'm going to do a Fascist Greece reclamation playtrough.

Wish me luck /his/.
>>
File: image.jpg (25 KB, 640x359) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
25 KB, 640x359
>>1258890
fucking trade nodes though how do they work (euiv)
>>
>>1258976
what is this knights of honor game you speak of senpai
>>
>>1259046
to the SCGP (Secular Conglomorate of Germanic Peoples)
>>
>>1259128
This is the game where your spy can become a Pope and call crusades on your enemies.
>>
>>1259046
>LeSmugVoltaire.png
>>
>>1259064
you don't even need a lot of cav which are just gonna be vulnerable to spears. a few will do. i usually have two lines of infantry. spears in the front, shock and others in back. spears hold them at bay, the others go around the back with some cav support
>>
>>1259142
go on...
>>
KNIGHTS OF HONOR is a must play game.
>>
>>1259173
>RTS

I'm so trash at these. Is this any different than AoE for instance?
>>
>google images
>knights of honor

Jesus that shit looks cash. What is is and why have I never heard of it, I've been searching for a good RTS set in that period for ages. I played hours of stronghold and and AoE2

I demand that you tell me more about this game!
>>
>>1259032
Link for a filthy pirate?
>>
>>1259192

Knights of Honor is like Total Wars. You have diplomacy, politics, armies, spies, allies, enemies, you build cities, you build cities with different purpose - military, cultural, farmland, educational.. anything what you can and what you need. It is pretty good and it is a real time strategy game. You don't have turns it all just happens at once.
>>
>>1259192
> any different than AoE
It wasn't that type of RTS.
It is on global map with tactical battles.
>>
File: 1378172777899.gif (2 MB, 374x354) Image search: [Google]
1378172777899.gif
2 MB, 374x354
>tfw I love grand strategy but hate the war part

I just find it so comfy to make an economic powerhouse or bastion of culture. Am I a bitch nigga, /his/?
>>
>>1259204
> I demand that you tell me more about this game!
It is very casual. You can put some people in your court who do things and there also big armies and such. Many shenanigans in play because most of your people are spies for other realm.
>>
>>1259216
http://steamworkshopdownloader.com/view/684459310
>>
File: maxresdefault-1.jpg (45 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault-1.jpg
45 KB, 1280x720
What about simulators like silent hunter (preferably III with grey wolves mod), IL2 sturmovik, or fps like Red Orchestra
>>
How would you design a history game that's not just a spreadsheet simulator, a Total War clone, or another RTS?
>>
>>1259268
Fighting game with famous leaders and legends as characters and chalked full of character to character banter.
>>
File: Patriotaque (56).jpg (133 KB, 600x412) Image search: [Google]
Patriotaque (56).jpg
133 KB, 600x412
>>1259268
> Soviet Russia: The Revolution
Play as Lenin, try to make your country red. Party character with their abilities, you use agitators and shit to outplay okhranka. There are other groups in play who want to win, etc.
>>
>>1259268
Poltical Simulator where you try to start a coup or revolution.
>>
>>1259229
No, you're just Italian.
>>
>>1258604
I'm having a fun time with it, even though it's an unplayable mess.

I really think it will be a great game, all the mechanics are there. They just need to fix everything.
>>
>>1259310
Kek, true.
>>
>>1259268
1st world war, trench warfare simulator. slow-paced, steadily moving the frontline closer to your enemy.
Besides the actual combat the heavy focus is on logistics as in supply chains that provide clothing, ammunition, food, gas etc.
>>
>>1259229
No, I do the same. I'm all about the grand strategy, as soon as the war happens, I just want it to be over.
>>
>>1259268
Gerry Adam's Pro-Car Bombing Simulator: 2016 Edition.
>>
>>1259326
> trench warfare simulator
Made it real time paced MMORPG.
>>
File: absolutely haram persian.jpg (47 KB, 371x331) Image search: [Google]
absolutely haram persian.jpg
47 KB, 371x331
>tfw you're a massive persiaboo but the Sassanid campaign of Attila TW is complete shit
>>
>>1258465
>>1258519
>>1258524
>>1258883
>>1258604
>tfw you're having fun with HoI4
It's been out 2 days and I have 30 hours played. Currently playing as the USA and tear assing through Europe while keeping the Japs contained. Germany has capitulated, but the Soviets declared on me as soon as I invaded France in early '42. It's mid '43 right now and currently pushing the Soviets out of Germany. But yeah, the game is fun if you pace yourself.
>>
>>1258453
I really want to like CKII, I really do, but everytime I boot the game and play for a little while, I get reminded of how shallow the game actually is:

>feudalism as a "form of government", unchanged for 1000 years, without any variety
>there's always a 4-tier government structure everywhere, from Ireland to India, no variation outside some flavor names
>Vassalage is tied to characters instead of beign tied to land: There can never be a simulation of the Plantagenets beign Kings of England, but vassals of the French King in Normandy and Aquitaine. Instead Normandy automatically becomes part of the Kingdom of England if William wons the crown in 1066.
>Crusades are the most boring part of the game, the process by which the King of the newly formed "crusader state" is elected, is completely retarded (the one who bringed more troops and whom more battles)
>complete absence of Independent City Laws, one of the most important characteristics of medieval europe, but status of women was such a pressing issue in the Middle Ages that it deserves its own set of rules...
>complete absence of international Monastic Orders (Cistercians, Benedictines et al) that you can grant lands to or found monasteries
(Continued)
>>
>>1259268
turn-based wargaming, like the AGEOD or Gary Grigsby series.
>>
>>1259391
I'm having a load of fun, but it's still an unplayable mess. Especially as a minor power, it's frustrating when playing with Historical AI off.
>>
>>1259397
> Crusades are the most boring part of the game
It is actually most interesting compared to default blobbing.
>>
>>1259397
(Cont.)

>Every religion has "Religious Military Orders", despite them beign a completely Western European (Latin Christian) phenomenon. The Nizari Ismaili are a "Muslim military order"!? Completely retarded.
>Every "Reformed Pagan Religion" (a completely retarded concept btw), is a carbon copy of the catholic church, with their own ecclesiastic hierarchy, its holy wars, etc.
>Completely retarded concept of "de-jure empires": The HRE has a "de-jure territory" smaller than my dick, despite their claim beign theoretically over the whole of christendom. Not only that, the Holy Roman Emperor was supposed to be also King of Germany, King of Italy and King of the Romans, before beign declared Emperor, and neither Italy, nor all of Germany are inside the "de-jure" territory of the HRE.
>Completely retarded "de-jure empires": Francia, Hispania, Brittania, Scandinavia, Russia (even before the Russians themselves existed), "Wendish Empire", Arabian Empire (wich somehow stretch to the Maghreb, where there's fewer Arabs than in Mesopotamia, which is not part of it)

And many, many more
Paradox stretched the map and the timeline so much that, instead of having a good game representing the many cultures of the medieval world, we get a pastiche of badly implemented mechanics that doesn't represent anyone specifically, and only has an exotic flavour depending the culture you play (if you play as a Sogdian in the Ferghana Valley you are a petty shah instead of a count, but otherwise its the same as playing as said count in Southern France)
The worse part of it is that the retarded fanbase at ParadoxPlaza clamours to expand the map to fucking CHINA. They can't even properly represent medieval europe well and these faggots want to include China
>>
>>1259268
Medieval SimCity. Not the type like Anno or Banished where you micro almost everything but instead where you just facilitate the natural growth of your town through policies, infrastructure, and services.
>>
>>1259407
Ah, I haven't played a game with it turned off yet, but I've played three games. Lost the first as Italy and as Germany I succeeded at Sealion and Barbarossa but couldn't be fucked to invade the USA so I just ended the game in '43
>>
>>1259415
Oh God yes.
>>
>>1259002
A.E.I.O.U was on the crest of a couple of HRE Emperors.
>>
>>1259397
>>Vassalage is tied to characters instead of beign tied to land: There can never be a simulation of the Plantagenets beign Kings of England, but vassals of the French King in Normandy and Aquitaine. Instead Normandy automatically becomes part of the Kingdom of England if William wons the crown in 1066.

Arguably this is represented by the de iure kingdoms. Badly represented, but represented.
>>
>>1259418
>Played one game with it off as France. Went far right, got Italy to join me, DoW on Germany during Munich.
>Things are going really well. Me Italy and Czechoslovakia, inflict over a million casualties on Germany, year one.
>Italy breaks off to form it's own pact, declares war on greece, leaves, letting it's lnes collapse stakes claims on me.
>Greece Joins allies, Italy BTFO in like two months.
>Britain releases Republic of itally
>Italy has claims on me, immediately declares war on me
>Have to fight Britain and Germany at he same time because of Italy's amazing retardation.
>>
>>1259444
>>Have to ______ because of Italy's amazing retardation

So Paradox outdid themselves with historical accuracy this time around?
>>
>>1259428
What does it mean?
>>
>>1259413
> Completely retarded "de-jure empires"
They make sense as geographic concepts for the case when someone able to control like all British Islands and such. Concept is perfectly fine. Could use another name maybe, to better reflect what it was.
>>
>>1259456
It is Austria's destiny to rule the whole world or something like that.
>>
>>1259456
apparently occult origins, but its fun to think that the vowels in english are spooky austrian magic.
>>
>>1258990

In Rome 2 there are mini campaigns that do what you ask for. There's a Peloponesian war campaign and a Gallic wars campaign. Both are good.
>>
>>1259397
it kinda simulates the vassalage while having higher titles things by having William still be an elector for law changes. Not saying it's a perfect system and definitely not CK2IDF but it's sorta kinda represented.
>>
>>1259439
Extremely badly represented, because according to the game, Normandy in practice stops beign part of France when its holder aquires a higher tier title: King. That is the result of stupid mechanics, like the vassalage beign tied to character instead of land.
>>1259458
Its because the stupid "4 tiers" mechanic means that if you are a King you cannot have other Kings as vassals, you need to be a step up.
Also, in medieval politics, if you control the British Isles, you are the King of England, the King of Scotland, the King of Ireland, and so on, no need to invent a stupid "Empire" title for it. From a western medieval perspective, there's only two emperors in the world, the Holy Roman Emperor and the Emperor at Constantinople.
>>
>>1259456
>>1259002
All the world is subject to Austria plebs
>>
>>1259584
> if you are a King you cannot have other Kings as vassals
Was there a historical precedent to that?
>>
>>1259584
> there's only two emperors in the world
>>
>>1259616
No, the King of England had the King of Scotland as a vassal fairly regularly
>>
>>1259616
As >>1259639 said, it should be possible as a King to have another King as vassal (or at least as tributary/pay regular homage)
>>1259623
>Bulgarian Tsar
Allow me to be much more clear: From a western medieval christian perspective, there's only two legitimate emperors in the world, the Holy Roman Emperor and the Emperor at Constantinople.
>>
>>1259616
The king of Granada was often vassal of the King of Castille. i recall the King of Aragon being suzerain of the Navarran oneat some point although I don't remember when.
>>
File: 1458237361747.png (64 KB, 576x864) Image search: [Google]
1458237361747.png
64 KB, 576x864
>>1259623
>shitskin bulgarstanis proclaiming an empire
>>
>>1259719
Technically they did add tributaries like you described. They only last until one of the two kings in the arrangement die. After that you'd need another war to make the next King your tributary. They're forced to join you in all wars like a vassal, but you don't need to join theirs. They're also shown independent on the map, but your name goes over their nation instead of their own.
>>
>>1259623
Wouldn't that be the medieval equivalent of an unrecognized state?
>>
>>1259788
Any state that wasn't either subservient or within the same religious-cultural sphere of diplomacy was an unrecognized state of some sort.
>>
>>1259877
I think anon here >>1259584 was talking about a specific religious-cultural sphere of diplomacy that didn't include the Bolghar horde. Although I can concede that his term "western medieval perspective" is pretty vague.
>>
>>1259623
>>1259753
>>1259788
The thing is that, shit like the Bulgarian Empire is not the problem, its obvious that it's title was created in the shadow of the Byzantine Empire and under the cultural influence of it: Simeon the Great wouldn't have created it if the Byz. Empire didn't exist, and if it didn't confer some sort of political prestige in the Balkans bis a bis the Byzantines. It was the result of the political circumstances of the time, and the game should have something like it.
The problem is that:
1. CK2 treats Imperial Titles as "can have Kings as vassals and can make increasingly more centralizing reforms" something that is certainly NOT the case with the first Bulgarian Empire, wich in CK2 terms would be simply a kingdom.
2. The idea that concepts like the "Russian Empire" or "Tartaria" are set in stone from the get go, and just depend on how much land do you posses, is monumentaly retarded
>>
File: image.jpg (200 KB, 1024x735) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
200 KB, 1024x735
>>1259229
>tfw play a republic on 90% of my ckii runs
>>
>>1259930
> depend on how much land do you posses
There actually more restrictions for them.
>>
>>1259939
>being a faggot
>>
>>1259945
I know, I know.
Its the fact that they even exist from the start that irks me.
>>
>>1258453
What is that graphics mod?
>>
>>1259964
Might be RDS Mapping Project, never used it so not sure.

It is in the pastebin from /gsg/

http://pastebin.com/66gpxbKk
>>
File: 20160608174438_1.jpg (489 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
20160608174438_1.jpg
489 KB, 1920x1080
>>1259356
Fucking sassynigs are trying to take spain and italy, having to rerout legions to keep the WRE standing
ERE died like a fucking bitch, attila just came of age too, and the germans are pushing over the river
It's all going to shit
>>
>>1259753
t. "Greek" rape baby
>>
>>1258453
I wish EU4 was better, but the game is designed around mana to the point where its not fun. I should have lots of different things to manage, not just hoping my king is good and just watching numbers tick up.
>>
Thinking of pirating Total War

Which one should I play first, lads?
>>
>>1260196
Either shogun 1, medieval 2 or rome 2
probably M2 or R2, or just play whatever setting appeals to you personally
>>
>>1260196
None because total war sucks
If you enjoy it off yourself
>>
>>1260196
What age do you like more?
>>
>>1260230
Medieval, mostly. Are the medieval games good?
>>
>>1259042
Play as Cyprus and watch the rest of the world act and act as the historical scribe of the world. Since Cyprus is only one territory, just be a massive monster at naval warfare to protect your lands and focus on watching how the rest of the world acts.
>>
>>1260170
Not the worst I've seen. I had Aksum conquering Sardinia.
>>
>>1260234
Yes Medieval 2 is one of the most loved ones but a bit aged and have a couple of annoying bugs. Never prevented me from enjoying it, but I know some people completely mad about it. I recommend to download a mod and not even try vanilla, unless you're tolerant. Stainless Steel and Bellum Crucis are your best options.

I cannot play Medieval 1, some argue it's better but the battles have aged like shit imho.
>>
>>1260234
>>1260210
>>
>>1260196
Do you have a half decent computer?
Rome 1, Shogun 2, or Medieval 2 with stainless steel are my suggestions.
>>
File: well memed my friend heraclius.jpg (103 KB, 392x701) Image search: [Google]
well memed my friend heraclius.jpg
103 KB, 392x701
>>1260210
>>1260264
>>
>>1260234
Oh of course, if you consider sengoku jidai Japan to be medieval Shogun 2 is a solid option too. Very polished game, although very hollywoodish even for TW standards (I actually think this is good in this specific game) and lacks faction variety. Also some clans can be very hard for a rookie.
>>
File: 1463902490502.gif (443 KB, 400x296) Image search: [Google]
1463902490502.gif
443 KB, 400x296
>>1259032
>wait
>a minute
>that pic
>>
>>1260234
Medieval 2 is a lot of fun and a pretty well rounded Total War game

Just be weary that the cavalry handles like ass and... just don't use pikemen at all... they don't work
>>
>>1260699
Any mods that fix this?
>>
>>1260699
>cavalry handles like ass
Cavalry handles much better than infantry which are pretty much unusable for the most part.
>>
>>1260703
Not that I know of buddy, just stick to halberds if you want something other than swords, spears, and axes
>>
>>1260710
I've never really had a problem with the infantry. Maybe I've just been playing it so long I've found workarounds for all the little annoyances, but I felt that foot soldiers in Medieval 2 behaved like I would expected an army from that era to behave. Kinda clumsy, without the precision of later armies or the manipular legions of Rome... but they get the job done.
>>
>play darkest hour 2 1933 campaign as Turkey
>Declare war on French colony of Syria and take it.
>Conquer Greece and Bulgaria until 1939
>WW2 starts, Germany begs me to be allied
>Im still at war with France since 1933 but they dont touch me.
>Slowly but surely research Atomic Energy and Military doctrine since 30s.
>Germany stages military coup on me
>wtf im National Socialist and dragged in WW2
>Take all of Middle East and march my army in to Egypt.
>Soviets are destroyed by Germans and Turks.
>Caucasus is Turkish.
>Communist China falls to the Japs. Communism is effectively wiped out of Earth.
>Germany doesnt have enough manpower to take all of Africa.
>Africa is one huge battlefield for the white men.
>Turkey is first nation to build Nuclear Bomb.
>Nuke Malta as a warning
>Allies dont give up
>Nuke London and couple of US cities.
>Allies give up.

All behold the New World Order: Third Reich, National Socialist Turkey, Japanese Empire.
>>
>>1258462
Which one senpai
Got the gog bundle but idk which to play
>>
>>1258957
>BONERLORD
>>
>>1258987
Just camp out with heavy infantry and artillery.

Unlike in shogun 2, artillery is so accurate you don't even need to worry about firing defilade.
>>
>>1258987
You can start by playing a better total war... But for real, it plays like rock paper scissors in most situations. Every unit has weaknesses.

Spear beats cavalry, and is good at defense and can hold a position for a long time.
Sword beats spear, good at offense.
Cavalry beats sword, but their charge is their weapon. Don't bog them up in a melee.
Pikemen beat everything, but will die quickly if attacked from the flanks.
Archers and spear chuckers are special. They bring down the enemy's numbers, and can convince an enemy to leave a good defensive position, but in melee they're like wet tissue.

This single fastest way to kill a unit is to attacked them from behind while they're already fighting. If you get in a good cavalry charge they'll melt.
>>
You have your manchild advertisement boards so why can't you fuck off to there instead of bring your toys here?

>>>/vg/
>>>/v/
>>
File: 1464124181731.jpg (22 KB, 480x300) Image search: [Google]
1464124181731.jpg
22 KB, 480x300
>>1262840
>I hate fun
>the anon
>>
File: 48700_20160609004809_1.png (2 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
48700_20160609004809_1.png
2 MB, 1920x1080
Mount & Blade has lots of historical mods.
>>
>>1259326
Sounds boring
>>
File: empire total war 1.jpg (789 KB, 3840x2160) Image search: [Google]
empire total war 1.jpg
789 KB, 3840x2160
>History repeats itself because no one was listening the first time.
>t. anon
>>
File: 20160608210947_1.jpg (254 KB, 1366x768) Image search: [Google]
20160608210947_1.jpg
254 KB, 1366x768
>i find stockpiling equipment more fun than the actual war
>>
>>1264667
can you play HOI4 with any southamerican or asian (other than japan) countries?
>>
>>1265011
You can play with any country at the time.

Granted, more notable countries will be more fun to play, since they get unique events and shit.
>>
>>1259126
Spam light ships?
>>
>>1259310
>Italians not doing war
Google war of the bucket
>>
>>1264667
God is it really that bad, anon?
I was already skeptical when they completely changed the production system
>>
>>1259452
>Italian Indeptness
>Perfidious Albion
It's perfect.
And also, third game in a row ruined by Italy DoWing on Greece.

No matter who I play, Italy fucks me over.
>>
>>1259397
>>1259413
>not playing the Historical Improvement Project that fixes many of these problems
>>
File: super power 2.jpg (94 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
super power 2.jpg
94 KB, 1024x768
>>1258453
Sure, both cover very recent "history", but I really like "Super Power 2" and "Power & Revolution".
>>
>>1258987
hammer and anvil. All the time.
>>
File: eu4_6.png (3 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
eu4_6.png
3 MB, 1920x1080
Alright so please do forgive the shilling but I really like this mod
It's called MEIOU&Taxes, maybe you guys played MEIOU/Death&Taxes for EU3, this one is for EU4 honestly I love it

It fixed this >>1259042 issue for me by adding a fucking TON of shit to the game

So what it adds:
>Development system
In vanilla you get to add tax/prod/men in exchange of mana right ? And you shouldn't since it's not efficient

So here you get you provinces to develop naturally.According to what you do, which is fucking amazing.
ie : are there roads? plague? what's the terrain? do you have an architect?
etc etc etc

Pretty simple but this shit here adds so much new things to track/manage/do it's not even funny

>Communications
Basically the further away from the capital/provincial capital, the worse the province will run, represented by autonomy.
For example London won't have any trouble administrating Oxford.However some province way at the north of Scotland will be a fucking nightmare, and completely autonomous. And,as a result,rebellious

You can improve it by directly putting down a port in there. Or linking it to the capital by roads. Or getting your army to patrol the roads but you lose 30% of manpower. Or simply release it as a vassal which might be better early game

What this does is make it so you can't just blob you have to pay some attention to what you're doing

>A ton of events
Especially if you play Italy, you have entirely new mechanics just for Venice/Florence

>Looks much better than vanilla

>Religion
Entirely redone.You can embrace humanism during the renaissance,play a secular republic.You can also be completely fanatical, start an inquisition, expel minorities etc.If you play as reformed you even get to pick your specific beliefs and all that

It adds more but 4chan posts are limited to 2000 characters

/gsg/ will tell you it runs like shit, it's true my computer struggles to run it on speed 3 and sometimes it crashes
If you can cope with that though it's great
>>
>>1259326
It already exists, it's called Verdun
>>
>>1262235
They are more or less the same in the core, the expansions add units and nations, and new campaigns.

If you are going to play a skirmish against the AI rather than the historical battles, play the last one, Back to War.
It has everything from the previous games and an extra ship and gun if I remember correctly.

Just make sure to setup food and pikemen production as quickly as possible. The AI on hard and very hard will occasionally bumrush you.
>>
>>1264321
Fucking turks holding Bannerlord hostage until they get accepted into the EU.
>>
>>1266453
One last important tip tho : autosave to the cloud, not locally
Otherwise you might lose decades of your saves when it crashes
>>
File: breakfast.jpg (573 KB, 1500x2250) Image search: [Google]
breakfast.jpg
573 KB, 1500x2250
>>1265011
You can play as Ethiopia, fight back the Italian invasion of 1936, stay neutral in the initial conflict, create a faction with the Arab states and go conquer Europe together.
>>
>>1265052
>Granted, more notable countries will be more fun to play, since they get unique events and shit.

Bulgaria, a minor nation without unique idea plans, still has at least one event based on the Treaty of Craiova.
I imagine other ones do too.
>>
File: civ6annoucement.jpg (283 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
civ6annoucement.jpg
283 KB, 1920x1080
>modern capitalist society will never band up to build a fucking mountain into a monument to humanity

Why even live.
>>
>>1259268
Inspired by CK2: Visual novel where you NTR historical figures. Anime artstyle.
>>
>>1266453
But does it have an aesthic flatmap?
>>
>>1266533
We should buy a private bit of land and carve a MASSIVE cock off of a mountain
>>
File: 454366545765.jpg (539 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
454366545765.jpg
539 KB, 1920x1080
Whats your guys opinion on alt-history mods?
>>
>>1266744
They're shit.
>>
>>1258957
1257AD nigga
Come to papa, Holy Land
>>
File: eu4_14.png (4 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
eu4_14.png
4 MB, 1920x1080
>>1266667
By default it's not completely flat but flatter than vanilla

But yes you can add a submod that makes it completely flat though, here's what it looks like
>>
>>1258939
>>1258976

Knights of honor 1 or 2, which is better?
>>
>>1265011

Yes. I'm currently halfway through a Brazilian playthrough where I formed my own fascist league with Venezuela and together we will unite the south american people under one flag.
>>
File: 1.png (4 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
1.png
4 MB, 1920x1080
>>1267083
EU4's default map is all bumpy because of the mountains.
Like this,see all those shadows everywhere?
>>
File: Those borders.jpg (508 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
Those borders.jpg
508 KB, 1920x1080
How I managed on one game a while ago when I last played Vic2. Has been a while since I last went back to this save.
>>
File: 2.png (3 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
2.png
3 MB, 1920x1080
>>1267113
>>1267083
Maybe it's more obvious from up close.
>>
>>1267125
because it looks like a 19th century map and not a map made out of playdough?
>>
>>1267125
>Can't wait for Vicky 3 t b h.
it'll probably be shit tho
have you seen how barebones stellaris is ? i didn't even bother pirating hoi4 tb h
>>
does anybody know of anything set in the age of exploration? I know age of empires 3 and empire total war, is there anything decent other than that? any genre
>>
>>1268287
this
>>
>>1267413
Then you will be or should be sorely disappointed. There's nothing topographic about that dough. It's just dumb dough unrelated to any actual mountains or valleys. All it can manage to convey is 'here be higher ground' while completely butchering the aestethics. Mucking up everything else map related - ugly province borders, dumbass 3d cities, inaccurate continents, glare and bloom everywhere, traderails, jerky ships and units - probably help as well.

It's like they went for several different design-routes and halfassed all of them.
>>
>>1268313
Anno perhaps if you don't mind random maps.
>>
>>1268313
Europa Universalis.
>>
>>1268313
There's a mod for mount and blade, it has a weird asian name you'll find it easily
It's during the Spanish colonial period in south east Asia,pretty cool imo
>>
>>1259258
Red Orchestra is fun as fuck. Also enjoy Rising Storm and being offensively Japanese in the chat.
>>
>>1259126
The trade lanes are like train tracks. The "nodes" are like train stations. You get a home trade node you can claim as your home station and collect from. Send your merchants to steer trade from the other stations down the tracks into yours. Put light ships or own more land in the node to get more power to steer more or collect more. It looks complicated, but is simple as dirt like most new paradox game mechanics are.
>>
>>1266511
MnB is polish developer game.
>>
/his/ is there any chance that this tech would have brought about the industrial revolution in BCE?
if not why. also what would have to happen to make it so?
>>
I really want to play either Darkest Hour or Hearts of Iron III (I downloaded both) but I cannot get into it and can't find good tutorials. I already know based on my experience with other paradox games that they'll be piss easy once I master them, but how do I learn how to play these games?

In both I've tried the Spanish Civil War mini-campaign, but get my ass kicked no matter what side I pick. I really don't understand the game.
>>
>>1262654
Which ones are good ones? What you're describing is pretty much how I played the Total war games that I played. I think I might try a gunpowder focused one.
>>
>>1271294
Fire and Sword is polish, but the main games are made in Turkey.
>>
File: 1424606125079.png (538 KB, 603x510) Image search: [Google]
1424606125079.png
538 KB, 603x510
>>1264321
What historical mods (and non-historical for that matter) are the best? I tried both vanilla and floris but after a while they just get so fucking boring. You're running around as a noble with your army, strong enough to take all but the strongest fortresses yet not strong enough to found your own kingdom and win entire wars. I just quit because all that meaningless fighting drove me to tears of boredom.
>>
Anyone here play really autistic games like John Tiller stuff?
>>
File: france 14.jpg (2 MB, 1918x1039) Image search: [Google]
france 14.jpg
2 MB, 1918x1039
>>1271747
Yes
>>
>>1271754
Any other similar games you can recommend?

How are the WWI games? Which ones do you have/like?
>>
>>1259032
I've played this mod and its quite good and harder to just go around and blob due to the insane amount of provinces and shit like invasions constantly fucking with the edges of the map.

>>1259046
The mod is literally called Voltaire's Nightmare and the splash image the mod dev mad for its steam page is just a smug voltaire face with 3 green text arrows over a picture of the HRE
>>
>>1271760
There is gary grigsby's war in the east/west, decisive campaigns, flashpoint campaigns red storm that are similar. The ww1 game is nice and plays very different from the other titles. I also have a few squad battles, panzer campaigns and panzer battles games.
>>
Remember those Medal Of Honor games that were good?
>>
>>1271523
It's better to pick a larger nation to get the hang of it. Italy was always a good practice nation for me since most of the wars they fight in he early game are easily winnable.
>>
>>1271795
>tfw I have all of those

Which squad battles is the best? Also there's that one between the squad and big battles - panzer campaigns or something. Every try it?
>>
>>1271851
The best? I guess the theatre you like the most. The one in between is Panzer battles, I have the Normandy one pretty good.
>>
>>1271803
I remember the one
>>
>>1268313
Colonization
>>
File: 1935_Plus.png (464 KB, 1550x1040) Image search: [Google]
1935_Plus.png
464 KB, 1550x1040
>>1266744
Mega Campaigns are better.
Thread replies: 188
Thread images: 35

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.