[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Are the Lowlanders overlooked in Scottish history despite being
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 3
Are the Lowlanders overlooked in Scottish history despite being the majority of people? Why is that?
>>
>>1255863
No. All famous Scots in history were lowlanders.

And in any case the populations of the Highlands and Lowlands were in fact roughly equal before 1715.
>>
What's the difference

t. american
>>
>>1256051
What does 't.' mean?
>>
>>1256070
It's an abbreviation of a Finnish word meaning something like "source."
>>
>>1256051
Highlanders were Gaelic-speaking tribes in the northern mountains of Scotland. They didn't have cities or any complex economy between them. These are the tartan-wearing kilted Liam Neeson Jacobites you always see beating up the Brits with big claymores in the movies (except William Wallace, he was a Lowlander).

Lowlanders were more Continental styled and had big cities and did lots of business and trade with France and England and were a big hub of education.
>>
Low landers just aren't romantic

You can't imagine a lowlander standing on rocks near the sea with waves crashing below and a sword held firmly in his grasp while thinking of the age of yore
>>
The Highlands present a distinct nation in and of themselves whereas the Lowlands are just "not-England"

Also history loves an underdog

Also also I wrote my BA dissertation on langauge change in the Lowlands so ask me questions if you want
>>
File: Williamwallacelearningcampaign.png (3 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
Williamwallacelearningcampaign.png
3 MB, 1920x1080
>>1256144
>William Wallace
This is where I learnt my Scottish history.
>>
>>1256185
Why wasn't Scottish mythology as well preserved as Irish?
>>
>>1256217
It is preserved, there just hasn't been any large scale cultural reclamation (yet).
>>
>>1255863
They're not exotic enough and Scotland is an irrelevant shithole so you need something to gather attention. Several scot lowlanders are well known, but not for being lowlanders and rarely for being scottish. Outsiders see them and think "oh, that english/brit guy".
>>
>>1256070
It stands for terveisin, which is a Finnish word for signing letters like regards, yours truly or whatever
>>
File: 1458996294532.png (30 KB, 657x527) Image search: [Google]
1458996294532.png
30 KB, 657x527
>>1256051
highlanders=Irish
Lowlanders=English
>>
>>1256217
It's more or less the same. The same tales and characters exist with slight variations
>>
>>1255863

You may want to check Trevor-RoperĀ“s, article; "The Invention of Tradition: The Highland Tradition of Scotland" on the famous The Invention of Tradition by Hobsbawn and Ranger.
>>
>>1255863
Highlanders were the majority of Scotland's population until the 19th century iirc. Nowadays the highlanders have a romantic appeal, and are stereotyped as noble savages and ferocious warriors who supposedly held out against English rule and maintained traditions distinct from other Britons. I'm not sure how true this image is, but I reckon it is exaggerated or false as most romantic myths are.
>>
>>1259219
Basically this. Irish mythology could equally be called Gaelic mythology. Most of it was created before the Scottish split off from the Irish.
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.