[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Soviet Train in Finland
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 3
File: main_1200.jpg (124 KB, 1200x741) Image search: [Google]
main_1200.jpg
124 KB, 1200x741
What is the story behind this picture?

Whenever I research all I can find is:

"Barge lifts soviet train from water" - Finland WWII

How did it get there?

Why are they trying to salvage it rather than leaving it there?

Who What When Where Why
>>
>>1255761

Is it part of the Ladoga ice train during WW2? That's about the only thing I can think of that might be of interest to someone and would be at the bottom of the water and in Finnish territory now.
>>
>>1255766

Well it's not from now, it's from then. (1942ish)

There isn't a single barnacle on it. It wasn't there for long.

They got a barge out there so clearly it was totally submerged.

How would a locomotive engine get totally submerged without falling off a bridge?
>>
>>1255783

>Well it's not from now, it's from then. (1942ish)

That would be the right timeframe

>There isn't a single barnacle on it. It wasn't there for long.

I don't THINK you have barnacles at Lake Ladoga, but I honestly don't know. That might or might not be disposative.

>How would a locomotive engine get totally submerged without falling off a bridge?

Again, assuming it's from the Road of Life? During WW2, the Germans besieged Leningrad, now St Petersburg, for years. To the east of the city is Lake Ladoga, which the Germans never really established much of a presence at. So the Soviets, in their low tech but high insanity solutions, actually built rail lines over the frozen lake in winter, to ferry supplies in and civilians out. When spring rolled around, the lake would thaw, the railroad would sink to the bottom, and they'd wait it out for the summer, to re-build the railroad from scratch next winter.

I'm guessing that one of the trains was either abandoned or stayed out too long and wound up on the bottom of the lake.
>>
>>1255761
It was a trolley problem gone wrong OP.
>>
>>1255853

>I don't THINK you have barnacles at Lake Ladoga

If that's Lake Ladoga. I think if it can be confirmed where it is that would be the most helpful to figure out why it's there.
>>
>>1255853

Just a quick wiki on the second part of your post:

Found this image which matches up almost perfectly to the locomotive getting yanked out of the water. Then again, this could be the only model locomotive that the Soviets made at the time.

Still, why yank it out of the water (scrap metal?) and why would it even be there? The ice has long past melted. It would seem that the engine would be the first thing you'd get off of the ice before it thaws unless it hit a crack and fell through accidentally months before.

Interested info btw, I wasn't aware of the Road of Life.
>>
>>1255853
>So the Soviets, in their low tech but high insanity solutions, actually built rail lines over the frozen lake in winter

you're just making stuff up

placing rail line on ice is impossible

BUT

There WERE ferry rafts across the river with rail tracks on them so that they could put cars and maybe even engine and then they connected them on rails on the other bank

locomotive could have fell off that thing
Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.