[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Unwritten Law of Reciprocity in Warfare
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 2
Why is the killing of a captured pilot considered wrong? Let's get past the fact that most of us already didn't like the people doing it and actually look at this with commonly accepted logic.

Those who do not allow others to surrender should not be allowed to surrender. This was the rationale for executing SS prisoners in WWII, or U-Boat crews. Pilots, naturally do not ask for surrender, nor are they capable of accepting it. Why then is killing them considered morally wrong?

The normal incentive for not executing pilots on the spot is the threat of reciprocity for one's own pilots. But what if one's side does not own any planes? Is there a law that armies have to operate as if they had something they did not?

Killing that pilot was the correct strategic move. You have no other means of deterrent. You basically have no means of defense. You have no assets that can be targeted in a similar manner. And you have massive casualties with a single scapegoat. Really, can anyone say without hypocrisy that they would have done differently?
>>
>>1255622
>You basically have no means of defense
How'd did he get shot down in the first place then?
These nigs have MANPAD's outta the wazoo, of course they have a means of defense against air attacks.
>>
>>1255622
The problem isn't killing him (which is barbaric) the problem is that they tried to use him as a bargaining chip even though he was already dead; which makes them not just savages, but treacherous ones as well
>>
>>1255634

If they were better at it they would be doing it more. They have no lack of motivation.
>>
>>1255637

Really? So Achilles was treacherous for demanding huge ransoms from Priam for the return of Hector's body?

I believe the purpose of this thread should be to establish exactly what the rules of warfare are before we start judging people on their basis.

Please define terms, I am not a smart man.
>>
>>1255661
They weren't negotiating for the body, they were acting as if he were alive and well, and when the Jordanians asked for evidence they admitted that he was executed a month before
>>
File: hind-b-gone.jpg (48 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
hind-b-gone.jpg
48 KB, 640x480
>>1255658
What does lack of skill/experience have to do with a supposed "lack of defense from aerial attack"?
>>
>>1255667

Ah well this is why I ask.

>>1255669

Because in warfare the outcome is all that matters. Either you kill the enemy or you didn't. Either you have victory or defeat (or sometimes both). And US doctrine heavily emphasizes asymmetrical warfare, therefore by intuition one can assume some asymmetry.
Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.