[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Protestantism
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2
File: huguenot.png (11 KB, 220x280) Image search: [Google]
huguenot.png
11 KB, 220x280
Please redpill me on protestantism, /his/
What were the conditions which allowed for its apparition ?
How and why did it spread ?
Who was converting ?

And no theological bullshit please, I don't care about the religions themselves, just their history
>>
File: 6-4-page7j.jpg (226 KB, 900x935) Image search: [Google]
6-4-page7j.jpg
226 KB, 900x935
>>1255578
>>
>>1255578
>What were the conditions which allowed for its apparition ?
The prohibition of usury enforced by the church
>What were the conditions which allowed for its apparition ?
european nobility wanted to sack churches and needed an excuse to do it
>Who was converting ?
uneducated peasants
>>
>>1255578
Then I recommend Chaucer. Lots of Chaucer: Or read any popular history of the papacy in the middle ages and renaissance. The utter ease with which Thomas Cromwells Commissioners gathered evidence of abuses and assurances of willingness to Dissolve from the Abbots, tells its own story.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dissolution_of_the_Lesser_Monasteries_Act
>>
>>1255626
>>1255629
I know the church was utterly corrupted at that time, and can understand why nobles would try to detach themselves from it, but why would peasants convert ? They're uneducated and cannot read the bible. I mean the printing and the diffusion of the bible works only on the classes who read : scholars, merchants, etc..

How could it become so massive ?
>>
>>1255657
indulgences were a greater financial burden for the poor than the rich
>>
>>1255657
Nobles were as corrupt as the church if not more. It was the peasants and poor in general (cities were already important) who suffered from the corruption of the church just like they suffered the oppression of the privileged states in general.
>>
>>1255657
>They're uneducated and cannot read the bible.
Why did peasants accept communism? They are uneducated and cannot read The Capital
>>
>>1255684
>who suffered from the corruption of the church just like they suffered the oppression of the privileged states in general.
Peasants will never live as good as they lived back then for centuries due to the reformation
>>
>>1255689
Ridiculous,there was an entire parallel economy (the church) taxing them as well as their secular rulers
>>
>>1255714
>he doesn't know
>>
>>1255578
>>1255606
The printing press was part of it, especially among upper classes.

Among the peasants, the biggest appeal of Lutheranism was conducting the mass in the native tongue, German. Peasants actually knew what the fuck they were singing about. Luther also abolished various practices like the Indulgence, a catholic teaching that you had to pay the Church money to guarantee your loved one would enter heaven, and not remain stuck in limbo.

Lutheranism was a "back to basics" kind of thing, focussed more on practicality than ritual. It was matched by other liberalizing forces in europe, which were emphasizing the autonomy of the individual and dismissing heirarchy and aristocracy.
>>
>>1255687
>peasants accept communism

Where ?
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.