[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Did the Romans wiped out the Etruscans to extinction?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1
Did the Romans wiped out the Etruscans to extinction?
>>
>>1251938
"Extinction" isn't really the right word, more like assimilation. But yes, the Romans did cause the end of the Etruscans.
>>
>>1251938
No ethnic or cultural group has ever been completely exterminated by force of arms. They were absorbed into a more powerful force that took much of their culture and made it their own.
>>
>>1251938
Weren't they pretty much the same people ethnically and just blended in Rome?
>>
To my knowledge they were simply integrated over time after they were beaten by the Romans.
>>
>>1251938
Is this what happens when you're /pol/ and you do history?
>X invaded Y.
>This automatically means Y is genocided/exterminated.
>>
>>1252013
Seriously. It's what 18th century historians used to think. e.g. people who used to think that the Saxons completely exterminated the local Britons who were either wiped out or fled to the ethnically pure Celtic enclave of Wales. They didn't understand the most basic of all historical facts, that conquered peoples always accept the more prestigious culture of their conquerors and the conquerors' archaeological goods become ubiquitous.

A good example of this is the Turks, who are pretty much entirely local Greeks who converted to Islam and gradually Turkified culturally.
>>
>>1252007
Ethnically all Europeans are more or lesa the same
>>
>>1251938
Technically yes but it was very gradual and wasn't exactly forceful like you might imagine when you picture one group of people eliminating another group.

Now the Samnites on the other hand were a bit more violent. Sulla broke up any sort of unity they might have had after they sided against during the fiasco of the late republic.
>>
>>1251938
I think Etruscans heavily culturally and politically influenced early Latins, but never could completely establish dominance over the Latin city states. This is alot, to me, what was happening between the Mycanaean city states and those to north around the Aegean sea. I don't argue against posits that Etruscans literally built Rome before the 8th century bc, because of this influence.

The greater area that was Tuscany before Latin influence shrunk by acquisitions by Carthage, Gauls and Greeks. By the time Latin Rome became a powerhouse, Etruscans didn't have the strength to resist subsequent Latin political, cultural and military dominance. I think many probably were killed in small battles, but I think the larger percentage of populace were simply integrated.
>>
No. The people simply became a part of the realm.
>>
>>1251988
No Etruscans were foreign to Italy, originally came from Anatolia
>>
>>1252642
Which is amusing as Romans themselves claimed descent from Troy.
>>
>>1252642
The culture of anything in that era of southern Europe came from the east. Unless you're ready to argue that "Latins occupied the Italian peninsula" the entire period of the Holocene (which I guess it's possible the lineage did, but not the language, art, technologies etc) then you have to argue they were foreigners as well.
>>
>>1251988
>Weren't they pretty much the same people ethnically
They had their own unique culture and language
>>
Etruscans became soccii or allied states, then assimilated into Rome, and their language and particular customs were lost.
>>
>>1251938
they didnt, they were assimilated
>>
>>1252642
>citation needed
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.