[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So what IS the actual argument against infinite regress? Is there
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1
So what IS the actual argument against infinite regress? Is there any? It seems like the idea of a prime mover is even more absurd, and only given preference because of Christianity.
>>
>>1251336
Infinite regress breaks logic, and we generally try to make our arguments logical
>>
>>1251358
You are confusing "Makes sense" with "illogical". There is nothing illogical about an infinite chain. The Unmoved mover argument on the other hand is illogical because it postulates that nothing can exist without being created, and then postulates something that has no creator. Logically speaking the unmoved mover cannot exist, and thus the universe cannot exist.

An infinite regress does not "Make sense" but the alternative is a logical absurdity.
>>
>>1251358
It doesn't breaks logic more than prime cause or say logical circle. What you prefer is completely arbitrary choice to be honest.
>>
>>1251336
I actually agree with it being most logical option. In practice we always was able to find a new causes, reasons and such behind everything. Would it be a such madness to think that we will always be able to do that? I don't think so. Christian solution is far worse for example. It uses God who simply by his nature is even more complicated than infinite chain of logic. Like you could try to understand God from the infinity eternities and it wouldn't be enough. So even infinite regress is preferable to an absolute at this point.
>>
There's nothing wrong with it. It just upsets human hangups because we're finite beings and trying to grasp infinity makes us uncomfortable. But the "problem" of it is indeed just a human hangup.
Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.