[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Barbarians Rising
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 90
Thread images: 9
File: Barbarians_Rising.jpg (338 KB, 1067x1600) Image search: [Google]
Barbarians_Rising.jpg
338 KB, 1067x1600
Is anybody else going to watch this?
>>
>history
Nope.
>>
File: Bix nood.jpg (87 KB, 600x335) Image search: [Google]
Bix nood.jpg
87 KB, 600x335
We wuz hannibal
>>
tonight's episode description:
"Barbarians rise against Rome; Hannibal builds an alliance; Viriathus unleashes a wave of resistance."
>>
>>1250447
Oh Jupiter. The narrative... hte narrative how awful it is.
>>
>>1250465
Stupid goy, don't you know Carthage is in Africa? You white devils should stop trying to appropriate their proud black culture.
>>
>>1250489
Who the hack is Viriathus?
>>
>Black Carthaginians
>Lusitanians using curved Thracian-style swords
>Lorica Segmentata and late period imperial helmets
>Not even making up for it with real, in depth historical analysis, and instead go with ACTING! skits

Oh boy oh man
>>
>>1250755
I thought I was going to like it. I really did.

But I can't.
>>
Lol Carthaniggers can't take a little cold
>>
>>1250770
I want to see the elephants freeze to death and fall off the cliffs.
>>
So far the only thing I like about it is the map.
>>
Oh boy oh boy, here comes Cannae
>>
File: image.jpg (872 KB, 986x1369) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
872 KB, 986x1369
>Completely skipped over all the battles before Cannae
>>
>>1250813
I mean they mentioned three of them, as their little flame ribbon burned past them on the map.
>>
How bad is it?
>>
>>1250769
Yeah, I guess this is just another GoT bait show. And I stand somewhat corrected, the Lusitanian general guy was apparently holding a falcata. Show is still just mediocre unfortunately.
>>
>2016
>Watching the Jew Channel
>>
File: image.jpg (95 KB, 300x250) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
95 KB, 300x250
Is that the black fish earlier on?

Also im enjoying it better than mother fucking american pickers or pawn stars
>>
I'm somewhat dazed. Wasn't it the older Scipio who fought Hannibal in Gaul and died fighting. It was his son Scipio Africanus who fought at Zama. There wasn't any sort of transition.
>>
That guy was just shot with an arrow, but apparently barbarians don't die to lethal weapons.
>>
>>1250859
Didn't iberians use falcatas too? I think they got it by trade with the greeks.
>>
Shouldn't these celtiberians be a bit swarthier?
>>
>>1250447
The History Channel, where history.... IS history.
>>
>>1250921
Yeah that's what I was saying, it wasn't as much of an error as I thought.
>>
>>1250996
>the guardian angels in The Bible get turned into as kung fu martial artists
lolwut
>>
After seeing the guardian angels in The Bible get turned into kung fu martial artists I'd take everything coming out of the History channel as being primarily for commercial entertainment purposes.
>>
File: image.jpg (177 KB, 500x456) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
177 KB, 500x456
>>1251006
At least Vikings wasn't that overly absurd.
>>
File: image.png (121 KB, 325x340) Image search: [Google]
image.png
121 KB, 325x340
>Jesse Jackson talking about ancient history
>>
Nothing but barbarian revisionist propaganda.
>>
File: 1461527938954.png (552 KB, 1073x788) Image search: [Google]
1461527938954.png
552 KB, 1073x788
>Jesse Jackson
>>
So whats the verdict /his/? How would you rate /10.
>>
>>1251484
4/10

It was extremely vague and skipped over certain parts about the story of Hannibal. For example it didn't mention Syracuse revolting against Rome at all, even though that would fit with the Roman oppressor and non-Roman/barbarian freedom fighter narrative they're trying to get at. At least as a Romaboo I'll enjoy the eventual deaths of all these characters such as Boudica who just killed themselves or were beaten by the Romans.
>>
>>1251501
Watching Boudica get BTFO never fails to make me lol.
>>
>>1250731
You retard. He was one of the most successful of the barbarians that resisted Rome. He almost crushed them and kicked them out of Spain. After twelve years of bloody warfare he was betrayed by his own.
>>
>>1250447
Oh how annoyed I am that the helmet has those holes for edging with leather and sheepskin but for these purposes its left unfinished
>>
>>1251006
Guardian angels into kung fu fighters? What is this? Got any source?
>>
so was it good?
>>
>>1252083
What a fagget lol

At least his people knew the advantages of joining Rome.
>>
>>1252634
3/10. Extremely basic explanation of history, skips a lot of important events to focus on fictionalized """dramatic""" scenes, WEWUZ Carthaginians, blonde blue-eyed Celtiberians, anachronistic costumes everywhere.
>>
>>1252634
Carthaginian Melaninite kangs and segmentata, what do you think?
>>
>>1252634
I thought it was alright. Only watched up until Hannibal an hero'd though.
>>
>>1250447
I am fucking triggered by the fact the actor playing Hannibal is openly saying "WE WUZ CARTHAGINIANS N SHIET", how can the popular teaching of history have sunk that low.
>>
Was it any better than this BBC Docudrama?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sZF28Lp5XIo

And was Jesse Jackson really used as an expert on Hannibal? Pathetic.
>>
>>1252732
>dirt&rags

I really wish documentary produces would catch up to the kitsch and excess that followed higher well-t-do people of that period.
I imagine Hannibal's court to look more like a hip-hop video than a cabbage farmer family reunion.

Otherwise the video you posted is nice.
>>
>>1250900
Where did he get hit?
>>
So is this just Vikings but in Rome?
>>
>>1250900
>arrows
>lethal weapons
>>
>>1250900

>nobody has ever survived being shot with an arrow.
>>
>>1252194
That's just a picture of the museum peice lazilly added over the guys face. If you look closely he's angled forwards and the helmet isn't.
>>
I didn't think it could be that bad, so I gave it a watch. Holy fucking shit was it bad. They had people who weren't historical authorities on Rome commentating, and they gave Romans fighting against Hannibal 1st-2nd century AD gear. Also, people on here complain about John Green having bias, but this show was biased as all hell. Really disappointing that history can't even put something that doesn't resemble dog shit.
>>
>>1251006
What are some good History documentaries of something other than WWI-WWII available online?
>>
>>1253809
History Channel stuff that's ok.

Rome: Rise and Fall of an Empire
The Dark Ages
Going Medieval
>>
>>1253809
Real Crusades History has several videos per crusade, with extra videos extrapolating on major leaders, nations, military technology, economy, and external but related events.
>>
>>1253981
Sounds great. I'll check it out.

>>1253895
Thanks.
>>
>>1250755
>Lusitanians using curved Thracian-style swords
no they weren't
>>
>>1250447
Haven't watched history channel since they got off their hitler ww2 boner and started spewing out complete bullshit
>>
>>1250755
>overthrow of the Roman Kingdom
>soldiers are wearing lorica segmentata

>first punic war
>soldiers are wearing lorica segmentata

>Cicero gives a speech before the Senate
>he's wearing a lorica segmentata

>Jesus is nailed to the cross
>the spear can't pierce his lorica segmentata
>>
why is jesse jackson here?

wtf?

what is this?

what the fuck is going on

why
>>
I don't have cable.
>>
>>1250447
a lot of this history channels shows like this look great when they advertise them but then you watch them it's just old dudes walking around old castle ruins talking about someone that isn't relevant to the show and visiting archaeological dig sites looking at dug up plates and bowls it's just boring as shit.
>>
>>1251010
yeah but all those Viking specials they did were boring as shit.
>>
>>1258746

This one is playing out like barbarian propaganda, the Romans are evil, they torture captives, massacre peaceful barbarians, their army is described as the roman killing machine, and the barbarians are rebels fighting "guerilla warfare" as described in the programme
>>
I am more interested in Roots but it will be a propaganda against Southern Slavery. History channel a shit.
>>
>>1258802
yeah it sort of is like all the white people that owns slaves on that show are massive cunts with no empathy and all the blacks are portrayed as a noble and wise except for the black dudes that are auctioning off their fellow people to the British as the start of the first episode.
>>
File: 1446492955712.jpg (463 KB, 600x450) Image search: [Google]
1446492955712.jpg
463 KB, 600x450
>The problem is white people; they are the human equivalent of a cancer, consume the host then become the host. But the creator is shaking the sleeping giant awake and the deception is not working anymore.
WE

>Nothing like non native Europeans trying to interject, rewrite history and try to say what is fact about africa and what is not.....ask a scilian of Italy how they became darker, and different hair, features from thier northern Italians and they will tell you... we are mixed african some by the moors and Hannibal times...
WUZ

>Well I would also suggest that many of you Europeans and many black personnel need to understand befoere the Cacasoids came out the mountains a Majority of Europe and Asian countries were ruled by blacks. If you all take the time and go back to the land that your ancestors ran from to come to America you will find that they potray many of their historical families as being black. Oh and by the way King James was black. Go back to Europe and go through your history museumes and you will understand that all the large kingdoms were ruled by Blacks. You white people have invented nothing discorved nothing just leached off every other race on the planet with your substandard genetics. Sorry to be so Rude.
GEN-UR-ULZ

>Europeans are in for a big surprise....this is just the beginning. Oh how I enjoy watching the sunset on white supremacy.
'N

>Lol... that's the problem with Westernized education,..... all images of wealth and power are associated with whites. Most don't take the time to learn true versions of historical events and figures.
>Hannibal was black. The aware and learned know that. Knuckledraggers don't.
SHEIT

>In all actuality if he wasn't "black" as in looking like an African American, he may have looked like a Somolian. If neither of those are true & he wasn't a dark skinned man, he may have been Arab, which he probably wasn't. One thing is for sure.....he wasn't a European!!!!
NIGGUAH
>>
>>1258848

it's actually worrying how stupid people are on this earth
>>
>>1251010
Because Vikings isn't their program. Its created by History(Canada) which uses the name under license and is owned by a completely different media group than the History Channel.
>>
>>1250755
>and late period imperial helmets
It's even worse my friend
LEATHER Imperial gallic helmets during the time of the republic

LEATHER. GALLIC. HELMETS

LEATHER

WHY WHY WHY WHY
>>
>>1252732
Thats the best representation yet. The props are cheap but they are accurate
>>
>>1253761
Its really disappointing that the History channel doesn't have anyone on it who knows anything about history.

At least day time tv history is alright, with older "boring" documentation
>>
Even the description is wrong

>An epic 700-year battle for freedom begins as the barbarians rise against Rome; Hannibal builds a rebel alliance and conquers the Alps; the shepherd Viriathus unleashes a wave of resistance to save his people from destruction.
IN WHAT WAY WERE CARTHAGINIANS BARBARIANS
>>
>>1259335
>Of course, it's possible that Barbarians Rising will not be 100 percent accurate since history is based on various sources and accounts that not all historians may agree with and that can change as new discoveries are made over time. But the stories of these nine barbarian leaders should be generally consistent with what we've learned about them over the years. Without any further ado, get to know a little bit about the history Barbarians Rising will present about these "legends" below.
>>
>>1259335
>muh freduhms
>>
>>1259335
That was written by a guy in marketing you donut, stop sperging
>>
>>1259335
nice
>>
Where can i watch this show? Can't seems to find it on the internet.
>>
>>1259335
Well they didn't speak ancient greek.
>>
>>1259335
They were literally barbarians though. Or are you arguing that they were greco-roman?
>>
>>1250447
No.
>>
>>1261967

Barbarians were those with no written language and therefore were usually tribal in nature with very little in ways of cities or large organized agriculture
>>
>>1250465
Why is Hannibal black?
>>
>>1261987
Because the history channel is dogshit
>>
>>1250921

"I stand corrected" means, "I was wrong".
>>
>>1261987
Because he was from Africa, duh
>>
>>1250447
Would of considered it if they didn't go full "we wuz" with Hannibal
>>
>>1262883
>Northern Africa is black
I never got why the we wuz crowd think that sub-Saharan Africa is the whole continent like wtf?
>>
>>1261980
Doesn't barbarian just mean "Man with beard" or something along those lines? I guess that's where the word came from rather than the Romans definition of a barbarian.
>>
>>1261980
No. The archetypical barbarian in greece, the culture that literally invented the word, was a persian. And persians were way more urbanized and developed.

>>1264548
It just means guy who speaks weirdly (i.e. another language). Greeks called barbarian to all strangers and so did Romans with the exception of greeks because they were massive greekboos.
>>
>>1250447

Oh God i thought this would be along the lines of Vikings. Nope its a shitty documentary with even worse live action pieces.

This is embarrassingly awful.
Thread replies: 90
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.