[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What are the greatest or your favorite quotes in history?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 13
File: Ceasar.jpg (98 KB, 450x592) Image search: [Google]
Ceasar.jpg
98 KB, 450x592
What are the greatest or your favorite quotes in history?
>>
I AM THE SENATE
>>
>I have seen their backs before, madam.

>This is attributed to Wellington as a statement to an unidentified woman at a reception in Vienna, who had apologized for the rudeness of some French officers who had turned their backs on him when he entered, as quoted in Bartlett's Book of Anecdotes

Savage af
>>
File: 1461014144321.gif (617 KB, 664x550) Image search: [Google]
1461014144321.gif
617 KB, 664x550
>>1250256
>>
Fuck your parliament and your constitution. America is an elephant. Cyprus is a flea. Greece is a flea. If these two fleas continue itching the elephant, they may just get whacked good ...We pay a lot of good American dollars to the Greeks, Mr. Ambassador. If your Prime Minister gives me talk about democracy, parliament and constitution, he, his parliament and his constitution may not last long...
>>
"There is nothing impossible to him who will try." - Alexander the Great
>>
'He who fights too long against dragons becomes a dragon himself; and if you gaze too long into the abyss, the abyss will gaze into you" - Friedrich Nietzsche
>>
>I come in peace. I didn’t bring artillery. But I’m pleading with you, with tears in my eyes: If you fuck with me, I’ll kill you all.
-James Mattis
>>
>>1250477
True American right there. Dude's a fucking animal.
>>
>>1250381
>We pay a lot of good American dollars to the Greeks, Mr. Ambassador.
And some of them went on sponsoring a military junta.
>>
>Patriotism is the last refuge of the scoundrel
>>
>>1250244
"It's only fair, we got stuck with them the last time."-Winston Churchill, a few years before WWII, to a German diplomat who warned him that the Italians would side with the Germans
>>
>>1250244
"This isn't a peace treaty. It's a truce for 20 years"

Said by some French guy (Fuchs) after the Treaty of Versailles was signed.
>>
>>1250541
Out by less than a year, thats pretty impressive
>>
No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beaty and strength of which his body is capable.
>>
>>1250244
"Society exists only as a mental concept; in the real world there are only individuals." - Oscar Wilde
>>
>After invading southern Greece and receiving the submission of other key city-states, Philip II of Macedon sent a message to Sparta: "If I invade Laconia you will be destroyed, never to rise again." The Spartan ephors replied with a single word: "If" (αἴkα).[28] Subsequently neither Philip nor his son Alexander the Great attempted to capture the city.
>>
"No friend ever served me, and no enemy ever wronged me, whom I have not repaid in full."

Sulla's epitaph
>>
File: 20120616-clausewitz.jpg (17 KB, 241x350) Image search: [Google]
20120616-clausewitz.jpg
17 KB, 241x350
"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."
>>
File: Sulla.jpg (3 MB, 2391x4250) Image search: [Google]
Sulla.jpg
3 MB, 2391x4250
>>1250799
Damn, beat me to it. Nice dubs too.
>>
File: smugmug.jpg (2 MB, 2536x3168) Image search: [Google]
smugmug.jpg
2 MB, 2536x3168
Ce corps qui s'appelait et qui s'appelle encore le saint empire romain n'était en aucune manière ni saint, ni romain, ni empire.
-King of /his/
>>
>>1250706
>/fit/
>>
The man who runs away will fight again. - Menander
>>
"So perish all who do the like again."

"Sic semper tyrannis ad mortem."

"Won't you stop citing laws to those with swords?"
>>
"Ceterum autem censeo Carthaginem esse delendam"

And they actually went and did it haha the madmen
>>
"What are you gonna do, stab me?"

- Julius Caesar
>>
>>1250286
Jesus have mercy
>>
File: waterloo-200-74-638.jpg (139 KB, 638x479) Image search: [Google]
waterloo-200-74-638.jpg
139 KB, 638x479
>>
>>1250477
can I get some context? I know who James Mattis is, but when/to who did he say this?
>>
>>1251237
lol
>>
>>1251905
Drug dealer.
>>
>If you strike me down, i will become more powerful then you can possibly imagine
-Benito Mussolini
>>
"No-one cared who I was till I put on the purple"

Justin
>>
"Fly you fools!"- Himmler, 1945
>>
>>1251905
>can I get some context?

>"After the invasion of Iraq -and after sending his tanks and artillery home- Mattis sent this message to the Iraqi leaders in every area his men served in, as quoted in Fiasco: The American Military Adventure in Iraq (2006) by Thomas E. Ricks; as excerpted in Armed Forces Journal (August 2006)"
>>
>>1250244
"Oh damn, I think I'm becoming a god."- Vespasian, on his death bed
"They couldn't hit an elephant from here!"- Union Army General John Sedgwick at the Battle of Gettysburg, his last words.
>>
>Do you want to live forever?

>>1250541
Did he think it was too harsh or too soft?
>>
It's time to chew ass
>>
>>1252012
He's french, so he probably thought that it was completly soft, that the Treaty left Germany gigantic where it should have been properly balkanized.
>>
POWER! UNLIMITED POWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

- Julius Caesar
>>
Let him who wishes to conquer go nowhere I have not.

From the tomb of Sargon of Akkad, the first conquerer in history
>>
>>1250244
Tolerance and Apathy are the last virtues of a dying society ~ Aristotle
Really captures SJW and PC culture in our current society
>>
File: napoleon-bonaparte-640x360.jpg (72 KB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
napoleon-bonaparte-640x360.jpg
72 KB, 640x360
"There are only two forces in the world, the sword and the spirit. In the long run the sword will always be conquered by the spirit."
>>
File: The_laughing_man.jpg (101 KB, 500x333) Image search: [Google]
The_laughing_man.jpg
101 KB, 500x333
>>1250534
>>
>>1252574
"There are two kinds of plans of campaign: good plans and bad plans. Most good plans fail as a result of accidental circumstances that make bad ones succeed."
>>
File: 1424204894836.jpg (4 MB, 7872x3104) Image search: [Google]
1424204894836.jpg
4 MB, 7872x3104
based
>>
"We never lie more than before elections, during war and after fishing"
Georges Clémenceau
>>
File: twain.jpg (17 KB, 219x300) Image search: [Google]
twain.jpg
17 KB, 219x300
The penis mightier than the sword.
- Mark Twain
Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 13

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.