[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How did the ancients manage to endure extreme temperatures naked?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 4
How did the ancients manage to endure extreme temperatures naked? Take for example the Spartans,who in their training were given one piece of cloth each year till the culmination of the "Agoge". Or maybe Socrates,the most known example,who went to battle with his naked torso in the middle of the winter. Was it just stories to make the Greeks look though? Or is there evidence of their indestructible bodies? And most important of all, is it possible to achieve such a state of self control and endurance?
>>
>>1250093

1. They just hardened the fuck up
2. It's warm around the Mediterranean
>>
>>1250093
>Or maybe Socrates,the most known example,who went to battle with his naked torso in the middle of the winter.

In the phalanx you are shoulder to shoulder with men. There is probably heat sharing going on. And the Greece doesn't get as cold as other places.
>>
>>1250110
What does it mean to "harden the fuck up", also,even in the Mediterranean the winter must reach below 0 degrees ,which you couldn't take without a good coat
>>
I think a lot of it is all in your mind. I hear feral children display an animal like insensitivity to cold.
>>
>>1250127
He means harden the fuck up.
Don't mind being cold, stay dry and out of the wind and eat more to keep your body temperature up.
>>
>>1250093
"The middle of winter" in Greece is like 50F and maybe overcast ; that's fucking nothing if you're physically active.
>>
>>1250093
their women swallowed massive loads
>>
>>1250093
>believing the Spartan Mirage
>believing Plutarch

I'm disappointed in you Anon.
>>
>>1250093
>The Med.
>Cold.
Also generally being half nekkid under the Sun is a thing.
>>
>>1250127
>Mediterranean reaching 0 degrees in the winter
Celsius or Fahrenheit?
If Fahrenheit, absolutely not.
If Celsius, that doesn't require a good coat you fucking solar Mongoloid.
Either way it doesn't really get that low that often.
>>
>>1252118
>>1252093
But Socrates was compared to the other soldiers who wore big coats, and besides, Greek wars were usually on the east were its colder ,not necessarily in Greece.
>>
I remember seeing videos of South Korean soldiers marching topless in the snow during winter, crazy niggas weren't even shivering. The human body is durable as fuck if you aren't a little bitch.
>>
>>1252647
But how? You just "harden the fuck up"? I get so lonely in the cold naked
>>
>>1252647
>The human body is durable as fuck if you train in those conditions.
FTFY
No training will see 50 F kill an Arizonan and 120 F kill an Alaskan.
>>
>>1252675
I mean, a lack of training.
>>
>>1252097
>greeks
>fucking women

lmao
>>
Theres a lot of knowledge about sustaining your body in the cold we've lost. If you endure the cold for all your life, your immune system goes on hypermode. Sleeping every night in the open makes you much healthier. Its all about conditioning your body by habit.

t: finn
>>
>>1252600
Some people have a mutation for more brown fat which produces heat.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brown_adipose_tissue
>>
>>1250127
Harden
The
Fuck
Up
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XUQwFZ_xFdM
>>
>>1252691
Thank you professor X
>>
>>1252696
But he doesn't explain how to do it,
>>
>>1250093
> who went to battle with his naked torso in the middle of the winter.
Finns and Russians jump into frozen lakes just for fun in the winter.
>>
>>1252726
you just acclimate yourself to cold and breathe.
that's literally it, he's taught a small group of random Dutch teenagers how to do the same
>>
>>1250093
Didnt we wear chloths bt the time we reached tje Mediterranean?
>>
>>1252766
>just be yourself and do it
Come on man
>>
File: just bee.png (81 KB, 500x656) Image search: [Google]
just bee.png
81 KB, 500x656
>>1252864
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=psW_BbIhMFA
>>
>>1252864
It's literally "just do it" though
>>
>>1250127
>even in the Mediterranean the winter must reach below 0 degrees
lol
>which you couldn't take without a good coat
of course you can what the fuck man (are you even a man? doubt it.)
>>
>>1254302
Oh no,anon has challenged my masculinity over the internet! What am I going to do :'(
>>
>>1250127
i heard it's a lot about what temperatures you are used to

a friend of mine lived a few months in Russia and she said they can endure far lower temperetarues with less clothing, since they are used to the cold
>>
>>1250127
>even in the Mediterranean the winter must reach below 0 degrees

Mediterranean here. It doesn't. In fact, for me less than 10 is already fucking cold.
>>
>>1254743
Fail to meet the challenge, apparently. Must be a habit.
>>
File: ss-wachtmaenner.jpg (58 KB, 750x375) Image search: [Google]
ss-wachtmaenner.jpg
58 KB, 750x375
>>1254843
Don't trigger me boy, I'll have you know that I served in the SS,look at that frightening uniform,look at it.
>>
>>1254827
Shut up Plato
>>
>>1254843
Not quite so,you see,when I was talking about Socrates I wasn't exactly minding the Mediterranean,but the ability of the ancients to endure extreme conditions.Since all of you get so fixated with the fact that all my examples are situated in a rather warm part of the world, please provide me with another ,more fitting case and explain to me how he does it. (Even if my question was already answered by the guy who posted the video with the man diving in a frozen lake)
>>
>>1250127
>>1250093

When you train from a young age to be in the cold, your body adjusts to it.

How do you think the Eskimo did survive?
>>
>>1255037

If pigs are released ino the wild, they will grow coarser hair, become more aggresive and territorial, and even grow tusks in a generation no r two.

Ancient man was wild and free.

We are but house pets.

Our bodies reflect our environment.
>>
File: 12519316384_9394f1c7a6_b.jpg (332 KB, 1024x683) Image search: [Google]
12519316384_9394f1c7a6_b.jpg
332 KB, 1024x683
>>1250127
>also,even in the Mediterranean the winter must reach below 0 degrees ,which you couldn't take without a good coat

Kek.
>>
>>1255037
>please provide me with another ,more fitting case and explain to me how he does it.
there isn't any. people wore clothing in extreme temperatures.
>>
>>1256344
You surely wore those dubs
>>
>>1250120
>And the Greece doesn't get as cold as other places.
it gets pretty cold
its all mountains and highlands there
cold enough where being nude would be shit
>>
Folks were tougher back then they were
Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.