[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is John Green a good source?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 3
File: crashcourse-john-green.jpg (36 KB, 502x334) Image search: [Google]
crashcourse-john-green.jpg
36 KB, 502x334
Or is he terrible?
>>
File: 1460496512230.png (3 MB, 1668x765) Image search: [Google]
1460496512230.png
3 MB, 1668x765
>>1249667
Would you say he might be... A "great" source?

Because, you know, that might be a little sexist. :^)
>>
If you really want to learn history, pick up a fucking book.

If you just want some facile cliffnotes version of history that allows you the smug satisfaction of feeling more 'knowledgeable' than your peers without any work whatsoever, then yeah, John Green is for you.

Please do not bump this thread.
>>
>>1249667
Check >>76318585 (OP)
>>
He's literally Lindybeige-tier.

Avoid
>>
Holy shit we get it, you don't like John Green. We don't need another thread on him
>>
He's a worthless fucking shitbag. A terrible person and nothing would bring me more joy this very moment than to see him suffer and die. The existance of this pisscloth makes me lament the existence of us as a species.
>>
>>1249819
>>
One of the best video makers about the history. Doesn't compares to full sourced serious book of course, but he is alright for quick outlook.
>>
this >>1250305
I don't care about politics or memes, I'm never forgiving him for claiming the sarissa was some kind of major technological advance that enabled the Macedonian conquests
>>
>>1250325
Honestly this. It's become a meme on this board to hate him, but he isn't that bad for just basic understanding. Yeah he has some left leaning bias in some cases, but very few sources don't have some sort of bias, and he provides an interesting pov
>>
>>1249695

sorry but i am bumping for this comment of truth. listen to this anon.
>>
>>1250325
>>1250352
He doesn't teach shit. He just takes a topic and briefly summarizes the basics before jumping in with his massive agenda and talking about that the whole time. Seems people eat it up though.
>>
>>1249667

I'd watch something like his show to get the framework of a historical event, era, or people and assume left wing bias. After viewing it, then I'd find a good book on it.
>>
>>1249816
Lindybeige is significantly better than John Green.
>>
>>1250365
>Sumerizes
>on a show called Crash Course
Kill yourself
>>
>>1249667
If you're intelligent enough to separate history and politics he shouldn't bother you much.
>>
>>1250365
Most people on planet earth needs the brief summary because they don't know shit.
>>
>>1250436
Even if that summary is laced with agenda and bias?
>>
>>1250469
It really isn't that biased, you fuck. Sure it has some bias, but stop complaining. Everything is biased, so if you're unable to see past some of the bias then you aren't fit to study history, you proto-human
>>
>>1250507
I'm able to see past the bias you mongoloid, but your regular joe with little to no knowledge of history is going to be left with a wrong perception of it
>>
>>1250469
>>1250507
It can barely be called a bias. The only thing he talks about is all the things based on his views. He rarely even mentions anything important if he doesn't subscribe to it.
>>
File: voltaire-03.jpg (217 KB, 831x1000) Image search: [Google]
voltaire-03.jpg
217 KB, 831x1000
>>1250469
> unbiased
> historical
> summary
>>
>>1249667
>on khanacademy learning some math shit I forgot when I left college
>oh hey it has a history section, this might be interesting
>it's John "42 dicks in my cherios" Green
>>
>>1250469
His "agenda and bias" in no way differ to any ideas that your average normie in the west has. He's not "giving a wrong perception", he's pandering to an audience.
>>
>>1249667
>white male
ugh
>>
>>1250515
Then what is truth? If>>1250469
So the only righteous fact is what you believe is right and true because you said so?

Sure, anon.
>>
Can anyone give a non meme-tier reason on why he should be avoided?
>>
>>1251947
His whole purpose for existing is basically shit talking western civilization and stoking white guilt every chance he gets.

Which is especially funny because despite his insistence that he wants to fight 'Eurocentrism' he fucking salivates every time he gets to mention western people owning slaves or their women not having equal rights, but he will go out of his way not to mention these things in non-western cultures.
>>
His face and head shape bother me
>>
Honestly? Halfway decent. He comes with an ideological view on history that most here don't like, but he is a decent intro to many concepts and basic facts.
>>
>>1250385
Get out of here, Lindy.
>>
>>1251987
This.

I actually found him useful tying in regions and eras into my understanding of other regions and eras. For example, I knew very little of the Ottoman Empire, but his video helped me tie them into my understanding of Europe during that time which made it easier for me to learn more about the Ottoman Empire from other sources.

I'd recommend his videos to people who aren't already history enthusiasts.
>>
>>1251947
ignore >>1251958 's meme-tier reason and read my post here >>1250326

The chances of someone with an IQ above 80 making such a mistake are virtually nil. He could only come up with something like that accidentally by pure chance and only if he had a major intellectual disability preventing him from spotting the mistake which clearly he does not.

I can only conclude he did it intentionally and it was directed at people who actually care about history. I don't care what his motivations are, but it is obvious his videos are a waste of time.
>>
>>1249667
>good or terrible

gullible
>>
>>1252159
if you're referring to this https://youtu.be/0LsrkWDCvxg
i feel like you're taking his statement "some historians suggest" to mean he's claiming it. at no point did he claim that the reasons Alexander was successful was solely cause of "the really long spears" but rather that some historians may claim that. In fact it seems like he's more inclined to say that it was more due to his ability as a commander than any type of technological advantage.
>>
I watched all his videos high on LSD.

Am i the only one?
>>
I cringe everyime he talks about how he doesn't like Aristotle
>>
>>1249667
He's the best possible source, for historically inaccurate youtube videos that is.
>>
THe biggest problem with John Green is he does not encourage critical thinking, he just expects you eat his shit while he smirks smugly
>>
>>1253363
Why does he have a dislike for Aristotle of all people?
>>
>>1253418
The nature of politics offends his sensibilities
>>
>>1249667

he is terrible

anyone who says otherwise is pushing an agenda
>>
>>1253570
Nice global conspiracy theory you got here.
Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.