[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I read somewhere that Charles V refused to remarry after the
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 2
File: Portrait_of_Charles_V_Seated.jpg (328 KB, 925x1600) Image search: [Google]
Portrait_of_Charles_V_Seated.jpg
328 KB, 925x1600
I read somewhere that Charles V refused to remarry after the death of his beloved Isabelle. Supposedly he always wore black clothes ever since (1539) as a sign of mourning.

How plausible is this? Would there even be some other reason to have people remember it like this besides the obvious catholic ideals it embodies?
>>
>>1248102
He fucked half of the known world after his wife died. John of Austria was a result of that. He still loved her a lot though.
>>
>>1248102

He was a big guy
>>
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patrick_Moore

>The war had a significant influence on his life - he said his only romance ended when his fiancée Lorna, a nurse, was killed in London in 1943 by a bomb which struck her ambulance. Moore subsequently remarked that he never married because "there was no one else for me ... second best is no good for me ... I would have liked a wife and family, but it was not to be."[citation needed] In his autobiography he said that after sixty years he still thought about her, and because of her death "if I saw the entire German nation sinking into the sea, I could be relied upon to help push it down."[22] In May 2012 he said to the "Radio Times" magazine, "We must take care. There may be another war. The Germans will try again, given another chance. A Kraut is a Kraut is a Kraut. And the only good Kraut is a dead Kraut."[23]
>>
>>1248128
>Later in the interview with the Radio Times, he conceded that good, decent Germans may exist – although he had not met any himself.
This guy gets it.
>>
>>1248116
Don John the God
>>
File: cover.jpg (566 KB, 1420x1438) Image search: [Google]
cover.jpg
566 KB, 1420x1438
>>1248102
It was probably not for show. He commissioned Titian to make a few posthumous paintings of her, and took them with him into exile. He also asked his favourite court composer, Thomas Crecquillon, to write two chansons on her death, and base a parody mass on it (pic related). A critical passage is shared between the two chansons, and recurs throughout key points of the mass, which suggests that the phrase held some special significant to Charles. There's also the commemorative motet by Nicolas Payen, another composer in the Imperial chapel, which is quite striking for its opening that has an incessant repetition of the words "Charles, why do you weep", for 40 odd bars. Musical obsequies are not that uncommon, but what Charles did for Isabella was certainly very unusual.
>>
>>1248116
A king wasn't really expected to be faithful to his wife.
>>
>>1248127

For Isabelle.
>>
>>1248102
>the obvious catholic ideals it embodies

Not obvious to me. What ideals?
Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.