[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why do philosophers work alone?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 4
File: well-hegel-fuckyou.jpg (13 KB, 236x178) Image search: [Google]
well-hegel-fuckyou.jpg
13 KB, 236x178
Why philosophers dont team up with other humanities such as sociology and political theory? Is it an autistic field? why they cant write books with other people from other fields? i wolud love to see them working with political theorist, biologist, anthropologists, film makers, bussiness managers and many others. Do you thinks mixing fields is a good idea and can revive philosophy making it more popular and usefull in a daily basis?
>>
>>1248087
They can never agree with anyone but themselves
>>
What makes you think that bioethicists, political philosophers and others don't do that?

Where are you getting this from?
>>
File: scruffy agrees.jpg (67 KB, 625x468) Image search: [Google]
scruffy agrees.jpg
67 KB, 625x468
>>1248093
First post best post
>>
>>1248087
But they do?
>>
>>1248095
is part true for pseudophilosophers, but actual philosophers, heavily educated in their actual fields will never leave them.
>>
File: Marx.webm (3 MB, 720x576) Image search: [Google]
Marx.webm
3 MB, 720x576
>>1248093
(not true btw)
>>
STEM lord here. I'm willing to team up with human fags as long as they're not leftist parasites.
>>
>>1248087
I think they do, it just so happens you never really hear about them.
>>
Because contemporary philosophy is a circle-jerk. Anyway, computer science is basically the logical conclusion of the advancements made in logic by analytic philosophers in the last century.
Philosophy is a purely theoretical discipline. Working with others amounts to practical activity. At that point, the philosopher isn't doing philosophy.
>>
>>1248087
>such as sociology
Foucault?

>political theory
Leo Strausss?

This just seems like a question from someone that only knows philosophy by steriotypes.

>i wolud love to see them working with political theorist, biologist, anthropologists, film makers, bussiness managers and many others

This does happen. Philosophers live on through their books. Nietzche wasn't alive when they were making movies but it didn't stop him from working on Conan the Barbarian. Machiavelli is pretty useful to work with bussiness management and is considered the father of political theory. Philosophy is actually in all fields, it's just invisible.
>>
>>1248180
Most of the prominents philosphers spended all their time hanging in bars, writing books and little more. they never engaged in proyects to improve societies in a practical way or anything like that.
>>
>>1248192
Dude, they never worked with other people in teams, they just came form other fields like wittgenstein, who was an engeneer. And i was talking about a real team of diferent schools, not just colaborations.
>>
>>1248176
the most rigorous of academia is conducted by ignoring everything you disagree with.
>>
>>1248221
Well not in a direct sense no. Ironically this is what the earliest philosophers did. Thales is supposed to have went out every day and did stuff like figure out how to make the ports more efficient, organize the farmers and tell them how to be more efficient. Heraclitus was a military instructor and we are told he literally gave away his books for free by dropping them off at the library.

I guess part of it were these early philosophers were extremly wealthy and could devote all day to figuring out how to solve the communitie's problems and do it for free. Modern philosophers are tied down by the need for money.

It would be awesome if you could have philosophers just go to a some big organization and offer to improve for free.
>>
>>1248087
Out of respect to philosophy itself, philosophers tend to write by themselves. Otherwise what you get is a muddled mess because philosophy runs so deep into the mind of whoever is writing it that to have multiple writers on one book will result in some butchered slop of differing judgments, regardless of how similar the 2+ minds forming the team are.

Also, it doesn't exactly need teams of people.
>>
File: 1421599662691.jpg (127 KB, 576x635) Image search: [Google]
1421599662691.jpg
127 KB, 576x635
I think it's because many philosophers are self-conscious about their thoughts tbqh fampai.

If you think about it, a lot of what we now consider canon in at least modern philosophy, was the scribbles of extremely depressed and disturbed individuals by society's standards at any rate.
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.