[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
The Falklands War
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 58
Thread images: 7
Why did the Argentines think they could pull this shit off? Was there any possible scenario where they could win this war?
>>
>>1246256
>was there any possible scenario where they could win
Maybe if Iron Maggie wasn't in charge.
>>
>>1246256
They thought international pressure would keep the Brits away.
>>
>>1246256
>Why did the Argentines think they could pull this shit off?
Because Britain had been declining since Suez and possibly before. Britain had just cucked out Rhodesia. Britain was a declining power while Argentina perceived herself as a rising power.

Fuck me, Britain was even going to sell them Vulcan bombers [sale of 1 was approved just before the war began.]
There was a strong perception Britain wouldn't bother coming down to reclaim the islands. Their success in doing so wasn't entirely guaranteed either.
>>
>>1246256
They expected the US to stay absolutely neutral or intervene under the Monroe Doctrine. Instead, the U.S. not only stayed out of the conflict directly, they gave Argentine intelligence to the British along with US intelligence satellite access.
>>
>>1246267
/thread
>>
>>1246256
They thought Brits wouldn't care, they thought Brits were weak. Even today it wouldn't be possible for them to take those Islands.

Anyway they did a vote, the islanders, a few years back and it was like 99% remain British.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Falkland_Islands_sovereignty_referendum,_2013
>>
They could have won if their allies (Peru I think and probably there were others) were really involved in a full war, instead of just moral support
>>
>>1248417
That's because, in case people weren't aware, the island is entirely populated by British people. It largely always has been,except for times when there were the French and Spanish
>>
>the only unequivocally, uncontroversially just war ever fought in all of recorded history
>gets more argument time than murky conflicts like the World Wars or the Cold War
>>
>>1248430
Actually theres an Argentine population on the Island and even they voted to remain British.

But watch this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VKkcTpCur7g
>>
>>1248430
>>1248417
Question: what kind of fuckers would willingly live in Falklands?

Looking at it, doesn't seem to be much going there.
>>
>>1246256
They were confident that they wouldn´t fight a war, they tought the US was behind them and would stop the UK as in the Suez crisis.
Once shit got real, every force (army, navy and air force) fought its own war with very little coordination. Even so, they were close to win or force a stalemate.
>>
>>1246256
The military government was wildly unpopular, and in order to garner public support it kept trying to instigate a war with Argentina's neighbors. First it was Chile in 1979 but that didn't go anywhere. Then they invaded the Falklands because they seemed to be an easy target and because of the nationalists' claims to the archipelago.

The plan worked for a time, because the government controlled the media and therefore everyone believed that they were winning right up until they lost. Of course, after they realized that so many young men had been killed for a fucking retarded hopeless war the Junta was doomed. To this day they revere the veterans and the especially the fallen of Las Malvinas, but hate the memory of the Junta with a burning passion.

Source: 1/4 of my family is from Argentina and I visited them last year

>>1248422
Also this. If you ask a typical modern Argentine what he thinks about other South American countries, the answer will be directly related to how much that county helped Argentina in 1982.
>>
>>1248422
Peru gave them a Mirage squadron, more than moral support.
if the brits had attacked the mainland things would have been different. Brazil wouldn´t have liked at all.
>>
>>1248438
Someone who wants a peaceful life on a quaint island with a small tight community?
Now with internet access
>>
>>1246267
>>1248415

I'm not some leftie that bashes Thatcher but actually the opposite is true. She pulled back armed forces from the Falklands, which made the invasion both militarily feasible and also made the Argies think she wouldn't intervene if they invaded.
>>
Is the story about the iron bitch and the exocet missiles's code true by the way?
>>
>>1248454
Which is very ironic, they hated the Junta, but still give us chileans shit for giving intel to the brits and allowing them to refuel in our territory in their conflict, despite Argentina trying to invade us just months prior to this shitfest.
Seriously, you have to be mentally disabled.

>hurr durr we hated that goverment more than anything, but fuck you for not allowing us to invade you and instead playing it smart and helping our enemy to save your asses

I like argentinians, but talking politics with them is a drain of energy and a waste of time.
>>
>>1248479
Have we had anyone from Falklands in 4chan?

From /int/, I know they have a weird Jersey Islander of all fucking people.
>>
Argentina didn't land enough men and didn't fortify with weeks of headstart

Pretty hard invasion to fuck up but they managed it
>>
File: estamos ganando.jpg (66 KB, 512x338) Image search: [Google]
estamos ganando.jpg
66 KB, 512x338
>>1248486
I asked my cousin what he thought about Chile and this is what he said.

"Chilenos son hijos de puta, y su pais es una mierda larga y flaca."

[spoiler] "Chileans are sons of bitches, and their country is a long skinny piece of shit." [/spoiler]

I completely agree with you that it's retarded, but that's what nationalism does to a country I'm afraid. Chileans and Argentines could live like brothers but instead they're divided by petty ridiculous bullshit.
>>
>>1248503
[spoiler]How the fuck do you use spoilers on this shitty-ass website? It's been a long time since I've posted here regularly[/spoiler]
>>
>>1248497
> Argentina didn't land enough men
10.000 troops looks more than enough.
Their major mistake was not building runways for fighter and patrol aircraft. They wasted a lot of fuel and time operating from the continent.
>>
>The Falklands ''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''war'''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''

Literally a skirmish.
>>
>>1248510
>Their major mistake was not building runways for fighter and patrol aircraft.

The entire conflict lasted a couple of months. They would still have been laying tarmac when they got annihilated.

>>1248515

Yes, a minor campaign for the Empire.
>>
File: thompson_no_picnic.jpg (47 KB, 309x475) Image search: [Google]
thompson_no_picnic.jpg
47 KB, 309x475
>>1248515
plz read more
>>
>>1248524
>It was a really shitty skirmish
>This means that it was a war

No it doesn't.
>>
>>1248434
>even they voted to remain British.
Holy shit, Argentina on suicide watch
>>
File: Britain's false empire.png (477 KB, 886x2414) Image search: [Google]
Britain's false empire.png
477 KB, 886x2414
>>1248522
>Yes, a minor campaign for the Empire.
>"""""empire"""""
>>
>>1248417

>those 3 cucks who voted against

holy shit kek how would you live there
>>
>>1246256
had they not broadcasted the images of the british soldiers laying on the side of the road handcuffed whilst being mocked, no one in britain would've cared... but they had to challenge the fucking brits... and that is something dangerous if history has taught us anything
>>
>>1246256
More importantly why are both sides so retarded about it?
>Muh Maldives
>We beat a third world Country over a small island , we are superpowa again
>>
>>1248509
Ctrl + s, my man
>>
>>1248722
>Roman Empire
>Italy
>>
>>1246267
This.
Falklands was a godsend for her.
>>
>>1248793
Probably some le epic trole 20 year olds.
>>
>>1246256
What are you talking about, retard? The fact that the British won was astounding. Even the U.S Navy was like "shit's impossible, yo". There was no contigency plan in place and a bunch of 35 year old bombers on the verge of decommissioning were wheeled out. Britain was at its lowest ebb in 1982, it had zero morale since the Suez Crisis in 1956, it was the Falklands that turned it around and made people realise that it was actually a developed country. Hence the headline of TIME which was "The Empire Strikes Back".
>>
>>1248434
Came to post this

For the life of christ, watch it
>>
>>1248722

You are aware this sort of shitposting belongs on /int/ and /pol/?
>>
I am not sure about the source, if i remeber correctly Geo Epoche. If i recall correctly gb was just about to decomission a lot of their old equipment and ships. If argentina would have just waited a year, two tops, britain would not have been able to handle the logistics necessary for the war. Just due to some misinterpreted signals from the brits basically read as "we dont care for falkland" the argies decided to advance half a year earlier than planned. Party because they wanted to distract from problems back home. Anyway had they waited a year they would have been pretty impossible to beat. Sorry i cant link sources atm.
>>
>>1246256
>Was there any possible scenario where they could win this war?
If everything worked as it should, all rockets would blow up and torpedoes would work as a whole - yes.
They've HIT one of the British carriers with submarine-launched torpedoes but they were duds. I think that only one of their anti-ship missles actually blew up when it hit.

Have those things worked, and British loses would be far bigger, which wouldn't change the course of(limited) land war, but would probably end up in some kind of favourable peace terms for Argentinians.

It's not like British didn't have their own problems with weaponry either - their subs loaded surplus WW2 torpedoes because their top-of-the-shelf brand new stuff wasn't ever tested(and they've had it since 60's/70's) but at least they've had surplus equipment to fall back on.

So for Argentinians it was a gamble that their untested equipment will work well and British untested equipment won't. Well British just avoided using that untested equipment whenever they could.
>>
>>1249300
Oh and maggie played a big part because that bitch was definetly taking it Personal and pushing it hard to reclaim that strategicaly worthless islands.
>>
File: 39B.jpg (147 KB, 800x563) Image search: [Google]
39B.jpg
147 KB, 800x563
> Was there any possible scenario where they could win this war?
If they have waited a few months, the brits would have sold air carriers to Australia
If they waited a few months they would have received more exocets
If the torpedoes of one of their sub have been in working condition
If the dumb bombs from the A4s have exploded over the landing troops
If they had mined the channel between the two islands
If....
>>
>>1249258
>America's No.1 Bitch defeating America's 5th something bitch is impressive
>>
>>1249318

>implying strategic value matters when British citizens are under hostile occupation and threat of being ethnically cleansed.
>>
>>1248793
>>1249235
They actually voted for independence. The Vote wasn't British rule vs Argie Rule

It was British rule or Other rule, presumed Argie but different options would have been available to vote for in a 2nd voter if the first had been a no to British rule

They came forward and said they voted no because they wanted to be an independent nation

So basically 100% didnt want argentina to rule
>>
File: 1463108625813.jpg (571 KB, 762x1024) Image search: [Google]
1463108625813.jpg
571 KB, 762x1024
>>1248503
>but that's what nationalism does to a country I'm afraid
That's what foreign expansionism and neoliberalism does to a country, not nationalism.

The nationalist governments of Ibáñez del Campo and Perón in the 50s were best buds, like brothers are supposed to be.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T7d55WpKKyA
>>
>>1249599
To be frank, it's 90% Argentinians acting like retards.
>>
>>1248722
>Rome
>Italy

>Spain
>literally just using a monarchy from a foreign land to marry the shit out of half a continent

>France
>Literally 15 years

>Germany
>Literally 6 years

>Britain
>500 years of careful diplomacy, military maneuvering and manipulation to build the largest empire of all time.
>>
>>1248722
>Work harder not smarter
>>
>>1248434
11/10
>>
File: A-DoMcjCMAA8rr9.jpg (13 KB, 530x313) Image search: [Google]
A-DoMcjCMAA8rr9.jpg
13 KB, 530x313
>Falklands
No such thing,they are called Malvinas in my country , you wouldn't steal an island!
>>
>>1246256

Absolutely. One in which they build a couple of runways in the islands that allow for jets to operate from there. Also mine the possible landing waters and build some strong fortified points filled with artillery.

It would have been wise to acquire more anti-ship missiles and double check the detonators of their stock of aviation bombs before starting the invasion.
>>
>>1249661
Cowards
>>
>>1248489
I'm from Jersey :3
>>
>>1250156
You need to own it for someone to steal it, anon
>>
>>1248386
Really?
Thread replies: 58
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.