[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
HELL
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1
File: jm.jpg (118 KB, 413x310) Image search: [Google]
jm.jpg
118 KB, 413x310
Let's discuss the concept of hell according to various religions like Buddhism and Islam and Christianity and whoever else.

I'll start with mine, other faiths feel free to put up theirs and discuss.

In Orthodox Christianity, There is Hades (a Greek translation of Sheol) and Gehenna, both are concepts from Judaism. Hades is where everyone generally went before Christ, it's not torment, but it's not paradise. When Christ died, he went to Hades, and freed the righteous. Gehenna, the "lake of fire", is not "separation from God", rather it is the same thing as heaven, which is becoming fully aware of God's grace sustaining you, feeling it very acutely, the strongest feeling you can imagine. If you hate God (imagine relying on someone you hate to support you) or if you are ashamed in his presence, this extremely unpleasant. God is described in these terms in the Bible (Hebrews 12:29--remember, God's grace in Orthodox is God himself, his "energies", which are immanent, as opposed to his essence which is transcendent and beyond all experience and knowledge of any being saved God). This experience, for those who love God and are no longer in shame, is wonderful, they delight in it, this is heaven, and here God's grace is described as light; heaven intersects with the physical, only we can't see it, but for those who have attained it, the light radiates out of them (Moses had to wear a veil because of this), and that is what halos represent.
>>
I don't have any knowledge on this topic. But I always appreciate your posts and insights into theology. Have a bump friendo
>>
>the concept of hell
No, let's discuss the reality of hell. The real pain and the flames burning your skin for eternity after your death.

No one wants it, isn't it? I can even imagine why...
>>
it doesn't exist.
>>
>>1245032
Thanks! :)

>>1245045
I take it you're a Protestant?
>>
>>1245045
>reality of hell
mental ward is thataway
>>
hell is something until the final judgment
then if you don't pass, you die for good, that's the second death
>>
hell already exists on earth dude why would i expect anything less to exist

theres people being tortured around the world and having no food and diseases with intense pain
>>
>>1244898
Uma I am pretty sure hades/tartarus came long before any Jewish traditions. The Jews were pretty uncreative with their mythology I stead borrowing from people around them.
>>
>>1246874
So what does it mean to die?
>>
>>1244898

The concept of Hell varies in Buddhism. The Buddhism that formed after proselytizing monks it mixed it with native traditions/religions sometimes includes ideas similar to heaven/hell but according to Buddha's actual teachings and as far as we can tell from his recorded discourses he didn't teach that there was some sort of plane of existence of place called hell where people go after death like in the other religions.

In Buddhism as Buddha taught it the equivalent of hell would be that you (using "you" here in a colloquial sense) are reborn into a life that contains much more potential for suffering/pain/agony/etc. In this concept you receive the life that is the natural result of the accumulated karma of your life and last moments. So if you lived an animal-like life and frequently acted with rage and were gluttonous or always trying to satiate lust then you might end up as some animal that spent its entire existence trying to mate and find food because thats the kind of life your karma/actions aligned you to. That this life would be animalistic and full of suffering would be a kind of hell in itself.
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.