[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>human, all too human What did he mean by this?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 3
File: Fred.jpg (228 KB, 620x364) Image search: [Google]
Fred.jpg
228 KB, 620x364
>human, all too human
What did he mean by this?
>>
File: Überpepe.jpg (51 KB, 499x499) Image search: [Google]
Überpepe.jpg
51 KB, 499x499
>>1242744
>What did he meme by this?
>>
He was... An honest man.
>>
>>1242744
>what did he mean
Flawed idealist, I guess? Thats the human condition.
>>
He meant that you shouldn't ask /his/ to spoonfeed you the meanings of quotes
>>
Read the book for context?
>>
>>1242744
when your philosophy game hella too strong you go nuts
>>
>>1242744
HATH was written during his most depressive phase, after he abandons his attack on science in The Birth of Tragedy, when he's afraid science might be the only way to learn anything and thinks that's sad, but turns around in The Gay Science.

In HATH he's mostly lamenting how limited humans are, later he learns to appreciate it.
>>
>>1244880
>Gay Science
>>
File: 50a.png (117 KB, 238x351) Image search: [Google]
50a.png
117 KB, 238x351
>>1244903
>>
>>1244880
Why are you calling science gay.
It's the best tool we have to learn about the world, I bet you're one of those real life empty-headed bullies who work for a nerd.
>>
>>1242744
How did he eat with that fucking mustache?
>>
>>1245746
he didnt
>>
>>1245120
Can't tell if joking or not but here's a link anyway.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Gay_Science
>>
>>1245768
how did they allow this to happen? xD
>>
>>1242744
Humans are not aesthetic by and large and therefore what is human is determined by a grey mass of mediocrity and weakness. He despairs at every point he finds relation with "humanity" therefore and simultaneously feels the pain of loneliness due to his feeling as such.
>>
>>1245776
They didn't figure public education would reach the state where it was common to be as ignorant as you are allowed to be. Its literal translation is "The Joyful Wisdom". Its applied meaning doesn't translate directly to an English speaker, to whom a "wisdom" is more of an abstraction or demeanor than a studious understanding.
God damn it, I wanted to have hope for this board. Humanities, all too many Humanities majors.
>>
>>1242744
>human, all too human
Probably felt pretty human when that syphilis started to reck his brain
>>
>>1246973
It's literal title is "La Gaya Scienza", it's Italian, and The Gay Science is the most appropriate translation. The other poster is clearly being an 9gag ebin mEmE!! xD
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.