[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So, tell me. Was he french or german. Was he right or wrong.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2
File: frankening.jpg (132 KB, 917x960) Image search: [Google]
frankening.jpg
132 KB, 917x960
So, tell me. Was he french or german. Was he right or wrong. Was he the true emperor of the western empire or a fake > > >
>>
>>1242633
Neither, he was nordid
>>
>>1242633
He was frankish. Back then french or german identities were meaningless. His legacy, however, is more french than german ; Germans were mostly saxons and the new crowned "Holy" "Roman" "Empire" claimed to come from Widukind, whereas the french Kings always claimed to be tied to Charlemagne (For exemple, they carry his sword, Joyeuse).
Charlemagne was a violent religious zealot, who campaigned countlessly and killed his nephews, so he was a monster. But still. He brought back a lot of stability, gave power to the church and provoked the Carolingian Renaissance, so even for all his wrong-doing Europe should be grateful that he was there to do the things he did.
He wasn't a Roman Empire. Whatever. Who cares ? No one is going to miss the Roman Empire. What matters is that he forged modern Western Europe.
>>
HE SHED THE BLOOD OF SAXON MEN
>>
you could not be French or German in the 8th century.
>>
>>1242658
/thread
>>
>>1242658
Actually the majority of Germans back then were Allemanns, not Saxons.
>>
>>1242633
No he was Batavian/Cheruskii or god knows what other tribe the Franks were made up of.
>>
>>1242633
He was made of gold.
>>
>>1242633
>Was Charlemagne this anachronism or that anachronism?

Charlemagne was a Frank. That is all there is to say on the matter.
>>
>>1242658
The Franks were a Germanic tribe and Charlemagne was a Frankish prince, speaking a Germanic language. The Franks stemmed from the Rhineland, where Belgium, Germany and the Netherlands meet.

>the new crowned "Holy" "Roman" "Empire" claimed to come from Widukind
Otto the Great saw himself a ruler in the tradition of Charlemagne. Widukind has only been glorified during the 19th century, when people started to become obsessed with their Pre-Christian heritage.

>(For exemple, they carry his sword, Joyeuse).
This sword was later attributed to him, but it's not from his time. The oldest parts of the hilt are from the High Middle Ages, and the sword itself is clearly modelled after a High Medieval arming sword rather than an 8th century Spatha equivalent.
>>
File: angry w.jpg (63 KB, 633x758) Image search: [Google]
angry w.jpg
63 KB, 633x758
>>1242658
>No one is going to miss the Roman Empire.
>>
>>1243011
>speaking a Germanic language.
Did he really, though? I thought that the Frankish language was dying out during that time.
>>
>>1242658
>No one is going to miss the Roman Empire
kys
>>
>>1243051
Pretty sure the Salian franks still used it for a while
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.