[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Political philosophy of Martin Luther
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 4
Thread images: 1
File: Luther.jpg (243 KB, 570x574) Image search: [Google]
Luther.jpg
243 KB, 570x574
Educate me on the political philosophy of Martin Luther, and Lutheran social and political thought in general.

I know Luther was pretty Jew-aware. I've also heard that his political ideas were very right-leaning and quasi-Hobbesian and Machiavellian, and they derive directly from his theology.

Anyone care to elaborate on that and/or point out instantiated cases of Lutheran political thought in states and politicians in history?

Can German Idealism and Hegelianism be considered byproducts of the Reformation?
>>
>>1324718
>Educate me on the political philosophy of Martin Luther, and Lutheran social and political thought in general.
He hated peasants and Joos.

>Luther constantly writes that God "damns the undeserving" as well as "elects the undeserving."

>"You may be worried that it is hard to defend the mercy and equity of God in damning the undeserving, that is, ungodly persons, who, being born in ungodliness, can by no means avoid being ungodly, and staying so, and being damned, but are compelled by natural necessity to sin and perish; as Paul says: 'We were all the children of wrath, even as others' (Eph.2.3), created such by God Himself from a seed that had been corrupted by the sin of the one man, Adam. But here God must be reverenced and held in awe, as being most merciful to those whom He justifies and saves in their own utter unworthiness; and we must show some measure of deference to His Divine wisdom by believing Him just when to us He seems unjust.
https://www.monergism.com/thethreshold/articles/onsite/double_luther.html
>>
First and only bump.
>>
>>1324718
He was a virulently anti-semetic Catholic friar who could no longer stomach how vile and evil the murderous thugs who ran the catholic church had become, so he tried to get them to come back to normal human behavior. He failed. Then he tried to fit in with the Jews after he got excommunicated from the papists, and failed there too.

Then he went full evil and let his true catholic nature shine by writing "on the Jews and their lies", which inspired Adolph Hitler, who quoted it several times in Mein Kampf.

To the papists, he's the boogeyman. They pretend every Christian in the world follows Luther, and thus attempt to make Rome the capital of Christendom when in fact it is the house of evil spirits and all nature of foul things.
Thread replies: 4
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.