[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
how does /his/ feel about Hamilton
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 2
File: 1453816741bg_300x415.hamilton.jpg (34 KB, 300x415) Image search: [Google]
1453816741bg_300x415.hamilton.jpg
34 KB, 300x415
how does /his/ feel about Hamilton
>>
i hate musical theatre for the most part

but i do really love alexander hamilton

so it's shit
>>
>>1241625
>for the most part
so have you not listened to it? Because it's not really a traditional musical
>>
>>1241619
Literally 10/10. Plus the non-white cast triggers /pol/fags, which is always a bonus.
>>
>>1241635
yes i've listened to it. it is a fucking traditional musical just because there's rapping doesn't make it not show tunes. I don't like show tunes for the most part with few exceptions (early 1900s musicals, spring awakening, sweeney todd).

it mostly bothers me since the 'hip hop' is really mediocre, kudos to LMM for getting moms into rap though I guess
>>
>>1241702
>>1241625
As someone who is into musical theatre your existence physically hurts me
>>
I like it.

I just feel like the "History is told by whomever is left" point in the end was pretty weak.

When we're talking about History itself as a theme in musicals, i prefer Pacific Overture's "Someone in a Tree"
>>
>>1241759
I don't think that was the point

I think it was more about that it doesn't matter who lives or who dies, it's whether you left a story worth telling. Burr didn't, so even though he survives he becomes a minor part in someone else's tale. Hamilton dies, but he was such a force of nature that people felt his story was worth telling, even more than 200 years later
>>
>>1241801
Burr's history is actually pretty crazy.
>>
>>1241668
>/his/ advocating historical inaccuracy
>>
>>1241811
They also didn't rap

FYI
>>
>>1241817
It doesn't matter if they rap because it's not changing anything that we know is true and accurate.
>>
File: image.jpg (56 KB, 329x399) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
56 KB, 329x399
>>1241811
>the race of actors playing factionalized versions of the founding fathers in a musical that misrepresents dueling practices and alters the timeline for better pacing is the real history issue we should be fretting about

What an incredibly stupid post.
>>
>>1241820
There's actually plenty of creative liberties taken

Hamilton and Burr meet way earlier than they did in real life, motivations and regrets are attached to Burr that have no real historical precedent, and no one's really sure what exactly Hamilton's intentions were at the duel

and we're pretty sure cabinet debates were not rap battles
>>
>>1241835
Think I f they were tho.
>>
>>1241722
it's not good mate

used to love it
>>
>>1241801
If this is the point i feel like this an even shitter point to make about History.
>>
>>1241850
well

I don't think Miranda went into it trying to make a point about history, he just wanted to write a hip-hop album about Alexander Hamilton after reading a biography
>>
>>1241854
No, but he specifically made History itself and the idea of "you have no control what people will tell about you when you're gone" one of the main themes of his play as you can see in the "History has its eyes on You" and "Who Lives,Who Dies, Who Tells Your Story"

I feel like discussing and analysing these themes are fairplay.
>>
>>1241828
Of course it's not. I just have to mention that it's still inaccuracy.
>>
>>1241870
I think most if not all people are aware that the founding fathers were not black+one Latino
>>
>>1241759
>>1241801
Alexander and Burr spend their whole lives trying to built their legacy and write their name in history on their own way.
But in the end, Alexander died young and Burr became a villain.

During the last song Jefferson and Madison had some nice quotes about Hamilton, but in the end Burr and Angelica still asks "who tells your story". Eliza then put herself back in the narrative and spent the last 50 years of her life trying to tell the story of her husband.

I feel like the point of what the show is trying to make is "no matter how you try to cement your legacy, its the people that follow you after you're gone that have the power to do it"
>>
>>1241879
Then there's no point advocating it on a history board.
>>
>>1241888
who's advocating? It's a play about a vitally important point in history that's managed to be one of the biggest cultural events of this century, I don't see why it shouldn't be discussed because you have a problem with the casting choices
>>
>>1241910
Too soon to say Century

It will certainly be one of the most popular plays of the decade though.
The tickets are going for like 1.5k nowadays? That seems super expensive, but then again i never went to broadway so i don't know how much it normally costs
>>
>>1241910
>>1241668
>>
>>1241923
well that's just a self-fulfilling prophecy
>>
>>1241920
century so far, then

I think there's nosebleed seats for like 300 each, but Orchestra seats are like 500-600 a pop at the lowest. An average show will sell front-row seats for like 300-500
>>
>>1241925
I can be upset about things if I want to be, yes.
>>
>>1241619
Catchy songs
>>
So, more to the board's topic, does anyone have any early American history books to recommend?
>>
it's terrible history--and i'm not talking about the racial thing; it totally distorts the personalities of the characters and the issues at stake in their conflicts.
>>
>>1243559
I've just started reading Albion's Seed, and it seems pretty good. I'm a total sucker for anything about Quakers, though.
>>
It's some of the whitest fucking rap I've ever heard from black lips.

I can't get into it.
Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.