[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Do we have any idea as to what Ancient Egyptian might have sounded
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2
Do we have any idea as to what Ancient Egyptian might have sounded like? And if so, how?
>>
>>1237411
we can read ancient hieroglyphics
>>
>>1237438
But how? How do we know the pronunciation and the accent?

Did they write it down somewhere in hieroglyphics and then, with the information we get from the Rosetta stone or something, translate their instructions?
>>
File: rosetta_stone.jpg (79 KB, 420x315) Image search: [Google]
rosetta_stone.jpg
79 KB, 420x315
>>1237438
They tend to be missing vowels, and the rosetta stone wasn't exactly phonetic.

...also seems that the idea that spinning pottery can capture sounds was a bit bogus.

We do know that some words in living languages have Kemet roots, however, and we can infer some pronunciation from those words.
>>
>>1237411
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nrUTKYbe5T0

knock yourself out
>>
>>1237411
I've read that some Amer-Indian tribes used to make "talking sticks", by making very tiny grooves along the side of some hard wood, and running a thin piece of wood along the stick, they could make the stick "say" a single word or phrase. Seems some tribes can still make these, and sell them as trinkets.

Makes me wonder if any other ancient cultures with dead languages may have picked up the same trick. Granted, for one to survive from ancient Egypt, it'd have to be made of gold - but a sacred talking stick made of gold sounds right up Egypt's ally.

>>1237454
But yeah, I also recall hearing old Coptic is thought to be pretty close.
>>
>>1237444
>But how? How do we know the pronunciation and the accent?
We can figure it out to a degree, but ancient Egypt lasted 3000 years, the pronunciation would have changed a lot over that period even if the religious institutions kept the language the same.
>>
>>1237411

Like ebonics
>>
>>1237472
>by making very tiny grooves along the side of some hard wood, and running a thin piece of wood along the stick, they could make the stick "say" a single word or phrase.

Isn't that kind of how a record works?
>>
>>1239172
Yep
>>
>>1237411
like a mix between miscellaneous semitic and finnish
>>
>>1239993
Does that mean Korean is a Semitic language?
>>
>>1240081

Considering that Jesus was Korean, yes.
>>
>>1240796
우리
>>
>>1240823
왕들
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.