[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Was it a mistake?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2
File: Barbarossa.jpg (237 KB, 318x1350) Image search: [Google]
Barbarossa.jpg
237 KB, 318x1350
Was it a mistake?
>>
Not really. The Germans only lost because the western allies opened additional fronts.
>>
>>1236521
LOL
O
L
>>
>>1236527

Fuck off commieboo, the adults are talking

USSR had no chance of surviving the war without heavy support from the western allies
>>
>>1236549
LMAO
M
A
O
>>
>>1236521
But was it unnecessary? I've heard conflicting shit on whether Stalin was going to invade Germany and/or cut off essential German supplies like oil.
>>
>>1236571

Stalin was planning to invade preemptively. Soviet troop deployments and requisition lists make that apparent.

It's also why the initial German assault covered so much ground and had such early success. The Soviets were not in defensive positions as the Germans were expecting.
>>
>>1236588

>Soviet troop deployments and requisition lists make that apparent.

Never actually looked at those requisition lists, have you? For people planning offensives, they seem not to be interested in things like organic transport for their artillery, or indeed fuel that would enable them to move around with their vehicles.

>The Soviets were not in defensive positions as the Germans were expecting.

Yeah, it's not like the Soviets had an all offense, all the time doctrine. The Soviets had such extensive fortifications along the Japanse/Manchurian border during the Khalkin Gol conflicts, oh wait, they didn't have any.
>>
>>1236625

I never claimed it was a well prepared offensive. Soviet high command was notoriously bad at planning, as the entire war with Germany demonstrated
>>
>>1236588
Did Hitler refuse the advice of his generals to pull back to defensive positions in the winter?
>>
File: 1388888840525.gif (499 KB, 270x270) Image search: [Google]
1388888840525.gif
499 KB, 270x270
>>1236549

>Its another "America always saves the day!" episode
>>
>>1236636

You'd think it would be at more or less the same levels as the invasions of Finland and Romania, and yet the Soviets didn't take any of the steps they did for those, like massing troops near railheads for exploitation of advances in a mostly leg and train movement system.

I would very much recommend Stumbling Colossus, by David Glantz. "DEY HAD DA TROOOPS ON DA BORDER SO THEY WUZ PLANNING AN INVASION" is quite simply sloppy, lazy thinking, arrived at ignoring what the Soviets actually did when they did invade people and their own internal documentation.
>>
>>1236645

After the disasters against Finland I'm not surprised they took a different tack. Soviets were massed on the border in perpendicular formations rather than parallel. Any defensive posture would have seen them spread out parallel to the boarderline. Instead they were in neat columns, preparing to advance.

Hitler stole a march on the Soviets. That's why Stalin shit his pants and wouldn't come out for three week
>>
>>1236666

>After the disasters against Finland I'm not surprised they took a different tack.

Then why is there zero documentation of any sort of reorganization of strategy concerning offensive deployment?

>Soviets were massed on the border in perpendicular formations rather than parallel.

Uh, no they weren't.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/1/15/Invasion1941.jpg

Part of the reason the offensive was so devastating was that the Soviets weren't in columns, or any sort of deep formation. When the Germans penetrated initial Soviet formations, they managed to pocket close to 4 million troops.

>Hitler stole a march on the Soviets. That's why Stalin shit his pants and wouldn't come out for three week

You are incredibly wrong. Seriously, read a real historian on the subject, not Suvarov.

http://www.amazon.com/Stumbling-Colossus-World-Modern-Studies/dp/0700617892
>>
>>1236689

>Soviets
>documentation
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.