[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Are humans inherently good or evil?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 4
File: human nature.jpg (859 KB, 1754x3956) Image search: [Google]
human nature.jpg
859 KB, 1754x3956
Are humans inherently good or evil?
>>
Good, according to Genesis. God saw that all creation was good, including man.
>>
>>1236459
Wouldn't original sin negate that?
>>
>>1236461
Inherently pertains to what is nature (innate), not accidental properties.
>>
>>1236422

Neither really.

What humans inherently are is horny, selfish, and stupid. But none of those qualities are exactly "good" or exactly "evil".
>>
All men and all consciousness are inherently selfish. Indeed if a consciousness is limited to being only one consciousness and everything it experiences is tied only to itself then every action it takes must be personal and not grounded on external things.

If a choice is correlated with your personality which is outside your control (the mind can't shape itself or if it does, it can't be done independently of itself) then there is no applicable value of morality. and if it's completely independent of everything then it's random and similarly devoid of moral charge.

People just act for their own self-interest and that doesn't necessarily mean people are dicks: if I rob and murder someone I'm not acting in my own self-interest as the guilt I'll feel will weigh much more than the 20 euros I snatch off his wallet.
>>
>>1236422
Good and evil have no objective existence, so neither
>>
>>1236422
Both are moral poles with no natural objective properties.

Only children see the world in such black and white.
>>
>>1236560
Its the opposite, only adults see the world like that, children have no moral compass because its a learnt behavior
>>
>>1236560
Most children at least have an inkling that it's not quite right. Really, children are more inquisitive and critical than a lot of adults. Good/bad is just the arbitrary crap stuff that tired parents push because the little shit WON'T STOP ASKING WHY.

Now, OP on the other hand...
>>
>>1236422
society defines good and bad. until a society is formed persons lack any principle to define good or bad but to according to their own gain. their empathy is there only to the extent to provide their own safety (because of fear)

humans cooperated and formed societies because it is useful and good and evil is there to keep it
>>
>>1236496
All of those qualities are relative. Humans are the most intelligent animals on Earth. And we're only horny and selfish situationally.
>>
>>1236422
Define good and evil.
>>
>>1236422
Rust has taught me that all humans are inherently fucking assholes and have no morality when subjected to no consequences.
>>
>>1236882
But yeah we're only generous and compassionate situationally as well. And a few selfish and horny people can ruin things for the compassionate and generous majority.
>>
File: 190px-T-paranoidgunowner.png (49 KB, 190x178) Image search: [Google]
190px-T-paranoidgunowner.png
49 KB, 190x178
>>1236912
>mfw strangers bashing on my door
>"h-help, we're dying out here"
>"fuck off"
>"BRO, BRO WE'RE DYING OUT HERE HELP"
>"I SAID FUCK OFF"
>"PLEASE, PLEASE MY FRIEND'S BLEEDING"
>"OMFG IF YOU DON'T OPEN THIS DOOR WE'RE GOING TO KILL YOU"
>they're going to come inside anyways
>"Alright let me just build a gun so you can't kill me just in case you're a liar and I have to defend myself."
>I open the door
>They start firing on me
>I die, trying to shoot them at night time and everything is dark
>"Take his stuff, get everything"
>I respawn and have disbelief over assholes
>This is why I'm not a leftist as /his/ seems to portray themselves as anti-property communists.
>>
File: 1464770846345.png (219 KB, 526x391) Image search: [Google]
1464770846345.png
219 KB, 526x391
Hume N
>>
>>1236422
Yes
>>
>>1236422
>good or evil

both spooks
>>
File: alignment.jpg (36 KB, 713x357) Image search: [Google]
alignment.jpg
36 KB, 713x357
this >>1236496

there is no "true evil", only edgelords who think they are evil but are really just petty
>>
>>1239206

People like Hitler and Stalin were pure evil.
>>
>>1239206
>lawful means I can't think for myself

looks like someone didn't read the alignment page properly again
>>
>>1239386
>Falling for the bait

>>1239287
No
>>
>>1239287
Not really.
>>
>>1236497
What about people like in chernobyl who went into the reactor to contain the accident? They knew they would die if they did and it was to save others. Were they selfish?
>>
>>1239287
>hitler was evil
Shalom
>>
>>1239287
Technically they did it for psychological reasons, because it gave them emotional satisfaction, to sate Hitler's rage or Stalin's paranoia. In effect they were just neutral.

This can be contrasted with a devil that pops out of the ground and starts hurting people for no reason even though it doesn't feel like doing so.

>>1239386
The lawful differ from the neutral in that they have a compulsion to follow rules beyond what is practical. If they are as intelligent as a neutral and reach the same conclusion, for example that it is wrong to execute someone who stole bread to feed his family, then the lawful would cease being lawful. I can only assume the lawful stick to laws through force of habit. They aren't motivated to think things through to the same point as a neutral due to confirmation bias and a failure to see the big picture.

Maybe there are other explanations, but it is not a big deal for a quip on something I made on mspaint on a whim in about 90 seconds.

>>1239413
not bait, I unironically believe this
>>
>>1239520
>Hitler wasn't evil

>>>/pol/
>>
>>1239564
>Hitler was evil

>>>/reddit/
>>
>>1239568
>Hitler wasn't evil

>>>/trash/
>>
Selfish. Not necessarily evil
>>
>>1239538
Lawfull doesn't refer to the 'law of the land', it just means that the character follows a universal code of conduct. If you steal from the rich and give to the poor because you believe that wealth inequality is universally bad that is still lawful because you follow a self-determined set of rules.

Chaotic characters are more pragmatic, prefering to reason about ethics in a more ad-hoc fashion. This may apply to a goverment official, for example a judge who lets a poor boy who steals some food to survive, go with his limbs attached when the law states that a thief should lose his hand.
Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.