[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Can anyone tell me more about the Scythians? In particular,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 2
File: Indo-Scythians01_full.jpg (42 KB, 525x460) Image search: [Google]
Indo-Scythians01_full.jpg
42 KB, 525x460
Can anyone tell me more about the Scythians?

In particular, the Indo-Scythians?

Apparently those from north-west India are descended from them.
>>
>>1235775

adopted indo-european languages from greek and spread it to eastern europe
>>
File: battle of muktsar.jpg (75 KB, 640x640) Image search: [Google]
battle of muktsar.jpg
75 KB, 640x640
>>1235775
Northwest Indian here.

Why do some people claim we're descended from Scythians? I haven't seen any compelling evidence.
>>
>>1236056
retard
>>
>>1236457

greek is older then any indo-aryan language
>>
>>1236470
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Centum_and_satem_languages

Explain how Indo-Aryan, a satem language is descended from Greek, a centum language that merged palatovelars.
>>
>>1236484
>pseudoscientific mumbo jumbo
>>
>>1236546
stop posting
>>
>>1236548

Sorry but that article, like linguistics as a field is filled with jargon and mumbo jumbo and overly verbose. Its not designed to educate someone about its concepts, its designed for insiders, filled with obscure terms only insiders know with very little explanation of what they actually mean.

Your post is designed to confound and impress with big words, to make it look like you have an argument by using dense technical terms, but with no explanation, thus with no point thus with no argument and, effectivley, no meaning.

If you cant explain your ideas and concepts to a dive year old, they are all fluff with little worth.

Sadly though this is a humanity's board so theres much support for semantic drivel like this
>>
>>1236370
Some of the warrior castes, such as the Kambojas are the descendants of Scythian nomads. The Kambojas were known for their extensive knowledge when it came to horse rearing, and being some of the best archers in ancient India. I personally come from a Kamboja (Muslim) family, but I don't have much knowledge when it comes to other warrior castes which descend from Scythians.
>>
>>1235775
Weren't the Scythians the dudes that invented the "smoke weed everyday" meme?
>>
>>1238077
Yes, the words cannabis and hemp even come from Scythian

https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/cannabis#Etymology
>>
>ITT: Scythian = Indo-Iranian/European! :DDDD
What, do you call central asians "Tartars" still? Are arabs & turks still Saracens?
>>
>>1235775
One important thing I learned from reading about them earlier today is that (not being memey) they did not yet incorporate use of the stirrup. People in another thread were arguing Alexander's army "could have defeating Mongols because they defeated Scythians", but I think, from my own equestrian experience, while you can be a bad ass on a horse without stirrups, that additional balance makes you a wrecking machine.

So yeh, no stirrups.
>>
>>1235775
>Indo-Scythians
The Buddha was one.
>>
>>1238110
No stirrups means reduced control and maneuverability of the horses, which means worse retreat or harass tactics.
>>
>>1237305
>I don't know therefore it sucks
Nice argument from ignorance.
>>
>>1237305
You are one of the biggest faggots I've ever seen on this board.
>>
>>1238110
Nobody pre 1200 AD could defeat a Mongol Army
>>
>>1237305
Perhaps the same could be said of all religions.
>>
>>1238146
Well, that, and stirrups make it a hell of alot easier to aim a bow at a full gallop.
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.