[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why/when did blonde hair become the european beauty standard?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 8
Why/when did blonde hair become the european beauty standard?
>>
>>1234689
Germanics spastic nationalists.

Also true black hair was also sought after.
>>
Hair color tends to become darker with age, hence bright hair color implies youth. Also explains why bright hair color is particularly favored on women, not so much on men.
>>
>>1234703
>Also explains why bright hair color is particularly favored on women, not so much on men.
source?
sounds untrue, I've known women who sought out men with blonde hair
>>
>>1234689
Aristocrats were more likely to be blond because they would've had more Germanic ancestry - back from when the northern invaders set up the protection rackets that would evolve into the feudal system.

Blond hair related to nobility, see?

Like pale skin, though that didn't really come from genetic heritage - nobles spent less time outside, is all. "Blueblood" or "sangre azul" came from the observation that the blue veins of the nobility were very noticeable, compared to the tan farmers'.
>>
>>1234709
>sounds untrue, I've known women who sought out men with blonde hair

I didn't mean to say that blond hair is particularly disliked on men either, just not that it is not particularly favored over dark hair.
>>
>>1234709
Typically foreign women show interest in it (exotic)

The great majority prefer the more masculine dark haired look
>>
>>1234689
Natural black hair on a white girl with blue eyes and ass is where it's at.

Literally cannot do better.
>>
>>1234689
>Why/when did blonde hair become the european beauty standard?

In the mid-20th century. Because of hair-dying products. Bleached blonde was available first, so it became associated with a glamorous lifestyle.
>>
>>1234689
the stone age
>>
>>1234737
foreign women where doe?

if anything blond hair would be the most exotic since it isn't found anywhere else in the world apart from those National Geographic tribes or albinos
>>
>>1234718
Blonde people were referred to as "fair" btw.
>>
Blonde hair was already considered 'more beautiful' during the roman empire. Has nothing to do with "germanic nationalism".
>>
>>1234746

no can do, my mom looks like that.
>>
>>1234689
"Hair color tends to become darker with age, hence bright hair color implies youth."
This holds a lot of truth.

>>1234694
You're the spastic. Blonde hair was favoritised over black hair long before nationalism even existed.
>>
Ok so now, where did ginger bashing come from?
>>
File: BEADY.gif (121 KB, 500x589) Image search: [Google]
BEADY.gif
121 KB, 500x589
>>1234835
>>
>>1234835
Anglos.
>>
>>1234835
The Irish aren't white according to the perfidious Albion
>>
>>1234853
>>1234851
>>1234849
beautiful
>>
File: uighur-kid.jpg (116 KB, 500x432) Image search: [Google]
uighur-kid.jpg
116 KB, 500x432
>>1234835
Borderline related but China has been shitting on redheads up until recent times.

Being redhead = being part of the Indo-European/Turkic Steppenegroes that plagued the silk route. Though blonde was considered exotic, for some reason redheadedness was considered disgusting. Hongmaofan (Red-Haired Barbarian) was the pejorative for Indo-Europeans and some Eastern Turkics.

Interestingly, the Chinese applied the same prejorative to Western Europeans during extensive contacts with them starting with the 1300's.
>>
>>1234863
This is the first I've heard of this. Jesus Christ: east to west, gingers get no breaks.
>>
>>1234897
There'll be more ginger qts for me, then.
>>
>>1234809
Post pics plox
>>
File: afghn-10196.jpg (1 MB, 794x1200) Image search: [Google]
afghn-10196.jpg
1 MB, 794x1200
>>1234897
I don't think Muslims mind gingers. Apparently it's even seen as positive because red beards are cool according to them. Well, in places like Afghanistan and Pakistan anyway.
>>
>>1234746
How common is that? In Scandinavia, Finland etc. where blue eyes are very common, almost no one has completely black hair. I think I have seen a mixed race person with black hair, quite dark skin and blue eyes though.
>>
>>1234689
It never did
>>
>>1234689

>blonde is european beauty standard

sauce.
>>
>>1234924
You see it on southern Europe. Black hair isn't rare. My father and mother both had black hair. I got dark brown tough.
>>
>>1234924
I'm from Montreal and it's uncommon here. But the few that I've seen were qts.
>>
>>1234924
I know one person who has blue eyes and black hair. She's syrian.
>>
File: loolman.jpg (42 KB, 1160x111) Image search: [Google]
loolman.jpg
42 KB, 1160x111
>>1234835
>>
>>1234924
Sometimes happens here, I'm from Cyprus. Blue eyes are rare, but black hair is the most common hair colour here.
>>
>>1234835
For whatever reason, red hair became associated with Jews around the 1300s. My own anecdotal evidence is that I've seen way more Jews with red hair or beards than I've seen Irish people so there might be an inkling of truth to it.
>>
>>1234689
Going by how greek and roman statues were painted, your answer is probably "always".
>>
>>1234689
I can remember being taught in latin class in school, that rich romans bought the blond hair of german slaves to make themselves wigs as blond hair was seen as beautiful. That's also why many goddesses of the romans and greek were blonde.
>>
>>1234746
>blue eyes and ass
>blue ass
>>
File: 34b346.jpg (5 KB, 187x200) Image search: [Google]
34b346.jpg
5 KB, 187x200
>>1235401
Did I stutter?
>>
>>1234689
>beauty standard
It was a symbol of purity for a long time.
>>
>>1234689
Depends on the population, people always like what's rare/exotic. Of course, when over 50% of your population is some shade of blonde, then blonde becomes boring.
>>
>>1235507

This. I always find it so annoying when non-nordics drool over tan + blonde hair. So fucking boring
Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.