[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Interesting Little Known Scientists
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2
File: Trofim_Lysenko_portrait.jpg (20 KB, 300x450) Image search: [Google]
Trofim_Lysenko_portrait.jpg
20 KB, 300x450
I'll start with Trofim Lysenko
>Soviet Biologist/Geneticist/Agricultural Scientist
>Rejected Mendelian genetics in favour of his own Lysenkoism similar to Lamarckism
>Developed pseudo-scientific agricultural practices which may have contributed to Russian and Chinese famines including the idea that crops should be planted extremely close together and that soil should be tilled to a depth of 1 or 2 meters (much deeper than normal)
>Used the Soviet political machine to silence any skepticism. Allegedly had scientists who argued with him discredited and shamed
>Was finally humiliated by journalists thanks to Perestroika and Glasnost.
>>
Also...
>Looks like a Nazi/Bond Villain
>>
>>1234676
One of the things he invented was so-called "square-nest" sowing technique. There were several seeds planted together in a single hole, and said holes had equal distances separating them from each other, like a grid. The idea was getting more seeds to survive and making all the plants have equal access to sunlight.

Turns out birds were smart enough to figure out the patterns.
>>
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andrei_Snezhnevsky
>>
>>1234676
Also claimed that genes did not exist and were a bourgeois, racist fiction that supported class divisions.
>>
>>1234676
Is that the hair guy from Charlie's Angels?
>>
File: spider_dad.png (440 KB, 845x352) Image search: [Google]
spider_dad.png
440 KB, 845x352
>>1234676

>aka spider man's dad
>>
>>1234676
I think one of the weirder things about Soviet science is this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phage_therapy

It boggles my mind how anyone from the west didn't do anything about this for a long time.
>>
Bump for a potentially good thread
Give me moar OP
>>
>>1234676
>scientist
anon please, don't insult the science
>>
I think it's better to think of Lysenko as a High Priest of the Cult of Stalin rather than a scientist, pseudo or otherwise. You stop being a scientist when you start advocating people pray to Dear Leader in order to make your crops grow
>>
>>1237778
>I think it's better to think of Lysenko as a High Priest of the Cult of Stalin
Don't you know Lysenko was a protege of Khrushchev? It became possible to get rid of Lysenko only after Krushchev's dismissal. And Krushchev was hater of Stalin (hidden while Stalin was alive) and wouldn't tolerate his "priest".
>>
>>1235087
so he was a pioneer of both modern anthropology and climate science?
>>
>>1235087
we arent that far from that idea nowadays honestly
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.