[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hearts of Iron 4 hype thread I can't wait to remake to
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 96
Thread images: 21
File: Hearts_of_iron_iv_packshot.png (1 MB, 787x1000) Image search: [Google]
Hearts_of_iron_iv_packshot.png
1 MB, 787x1000
Hearts of Iron 4 hype thread

I can't wait to remake to Roman Empire
>>
I can't wait for alternate history mods with Byzantium still surviving.
>>
>>1234111
>CK2 play as byzantium
>import to EU4
>import to Vicky 2
>import to HOI4
>import to Stellaris
Byzantine can into space
>>
File: wite.jpg (2 MB, 1920x1040) Image search: [Google]
wite.jpg
2 MB, 1920x1040
JUST
>>
>>1234126
Someone once made a 'poland cant into space' joke at a class in uni. It was as awful as this thread and the game it's about.
>>
>>1234152
People saying memes in public is always cringey
>>
>>1234145
>no sweden
You can stop fighting, guys, it's already parfait.
>>
File: ir53LG3.jpg (124 KB, 540x669) Image search: [Google]
ir53LG3.jpg
124 KB, 540x669
>>1234156
>>
>>1234169
I just threw up in my mouth
>>
>>1234145
>WiTE
Autism. I've always wanted to try it, but I don't really want to pirate from such a small publisher like Grigsby and I'm not paying fucking 80 dollarydoos either.
>>
>>1234169
>D.A.R.E t-shirt

I hope it's at least an "ironic" t-shirt
>>
>>1234145
holy shit, is that regimental level combat?

also HOI IV looks like it might be shit, due to how oversimplified it looks.

They didn't have to make HOI 3 2.0, but goddamn, at least make me feel like I'm a korps size commander.

Also, whats /his/ preferance, HOI2+expansions, arsenal of democracy, or darkest hour?
>>
>>1234169
They're kids, it's still forgivable.
>>
File: 67214.jpg (27 KB, 460x357) Image search: [Google]
67214.jpg
27 KB, 460x357
>>1234501
AOD my dude. Also lets wait how HOI 4 plays out till we judge. I mean we have seen a lot of fotage but i want to feel it myself. Also i think there are very promising new features and a lot of things that are not so great right now will be maybe fleshed out in dlcs.

Only thing really worrying me right now is the no fuel policy and the general oversimplification of logistics.
>>
>>1234548
I remember I was that way about EU4 when it was coming out, and that game thoroughly disappointed me though I tried to deny it for awhile.

I don't think HoI4 will be bad by any means, I don't really think any of the Paradox games could be called that (though a lot of it has to do with the fact that there really isn't any competition to them.)

I really wish a new team or game would come up that presents deep all encompassing grand strategy/historical simulation like these initial games did in their heyday, it doesn't even have to be real time.
>>
>>1234605
I would very strongly wish for a real time one. Well i will wait for HOI IV before i pass judgement. The hysteria in the forum has reached autistic levels at this point.
>>
>>1234508
There kids who should be tryimg to start to act as adults
>>
>>1234618
See in real time vs turn based it really doesn't matter to me, games could be just as deep if not deeper when turn based, think of AGEOD strategy games or most boardgames that do what paradox does.

I do like the pause real time though.
>>
>>1234097
>focus trees

The stupidest and laziest shit Paradox has ever pulled. I will not be pedophiling this game.
>>
>>1234548
Simplification is fine. I just want logistics to actually matter, and be appreciably interacted with.

People bitch about the shift from EUIII to IV, but I honestly think IV has more depth. It's just 3 had a lot more busy work. People complain about having a 'mana pool' but magistrates played the same role. It's just that you were usually either effectively capped with nothing you could do, or you had a giant pool of them waiting at all times. Trade likewise, was ridiculously simple to make basically infinite ducats off of.

I'm really excited for the national focus thing in IV. It allows for games to go ahistorical without being completely retarded.

I remember last time I played Darkest Hour, I was playing the Soviet Union. Japan did unexpectedly well in the Chinese Civil War, so I DoWed Japan, and steam rolled them by 1938, destroying most of their army and hundreds of divisions, ensuring they were completely neutered for the rest of the game.

Then I created a puppet PRC and DPRK to crank out free infantry divisions for me. Or course, semi random chunks of the map belonged to the ROC and I'd have to wait years for that to be resolved.

And in 1940, for no reason Japan occupied French Indochina. Get steam rolled by like 50 divisions, Indochinese puppet state. Japan proceeds to relentlessly move historically, despite having no army and getting ass blasted by commies.

Meanwhile, Barbarossa is a breeze with all these extra chinese divisions. The AI was never able to effectively respond to my decision.

The national focuses at least seem to geared to make the AI respond better, and for the player to have to work towards shit like that.
>>
>>1234097
Is having the chance to restore the monarchy in Germany and Russia too much to ask?

I want alt history god ding it
>>
>>1235036
There's always mods. Kaiserreich might get updated for IV, if you want to live out your prussiaboo fantasies.
>>
>>1234097
>>1234111
>>1234126
I can't wait for byzaboos to shoot themselves in despair when they realize their dead empire was worth nothing, did nothing impressive, and it's famous capital will never leave Turkish hands so they can stop shitting my board up
https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=119&v=rNUsOaB5V2c
>>
>>1235036
>>1235038
>being anything other than a Habsburgboo
Trash
>>
>>1235053
Fucking. Kaiserreich.
>>
File: 1462845053511.jpg (78 KB, 807x960) Image search: [Google]
1462845053511.jpg
78 KB, 807x960
>>1235023
I fully agree with you. I get all this whining about Führermana but they make sense because of A.I reasons like you mention (because of that i also thing the new historical mode is good) and personally i think it abstracts the whole affair pretty well. In my mind the WW2 period was about more than just pure military power. The national foci do a pretty good job in abstracting certain historical developments and set a WW2 theme without railroading to much.
>>
>>1235055
A.E.I.O.U friend
>>
>>1234152
Poland can into space is an achievement in Hearts of Iron IV as well as EU 4.
>>
>>1235060
That, and I like the thing that the National Focuses and the Mana at least cause you to have to split your decision making. You can't have you cake and eat it, as opposed to previous paradox games, where eating your cake gets you two more cakes.
>>
>>1235045
better song
https://youtu.be/fcI5rNR5TGM
>>
>>1235088
>That, and I like the thing that the National Focuses and the Mana at least cause you to have to split your decision making.
Why do you enjoy mechanics that shit on both History and logic?
>>
>>1235099
You're one of those faggots in the Alternative history threads who think Hitler was an Idiot for not seizing control of Italy in the 1930s, building a navy to invade Britain in 1940, and taking Moscow in 1941 while also shipping winter clothing to the front starting in May of 1941.
>>
>>1235088
>>1235099
It has always bugged me that the HOI games failed to present a reasonable political frame for the war period. I don´t think the outcome the foci will produce is ahistorical. On the contrary i think it was highly ahistorical to remilitarize the rhineland in 36, anschluss and sudetenland and tchechoslovakia in 37. There were boundaries that are hard to represent in a wargame, so the foci system may feel forced and plumb but the outcome will feel more natural for me.

>both History and logic?
To be able to be a jack in all trades is unhistorical in my mind. Certain political decisions just prevent other things from happening.
>>
>>1235108
No, I don't even like alternative History. I love History as it is already, which is why I hate gamey arcade mechanics that Paradox implement in all their games.
>>
>>1235115
> I love History as it is already
Pick one, you either like history as it is already, or you prefer a fantasy where no tradeoffs exist.
>>
>>1235128
I'm totally fine with tradeoffs, just not nonsensical ones, such as "choose between advancing in military techs or suppressing dissent".
>>
File: 1454547482007.png (205 KB, 505x431) Image search: [Google]
1454547482007.png
205 KB, 505x431
>>1235115
>muuh i want hardcore railroady wargame simulations
>paradox clarified from day one that they would go a more alt history route with hoi 4
>continue flaming regardless
>also: Don´t you fucking see that the foci prevent some of the worst gamey things players can do? A lot of the completly ahistorical stuff hapened because of unregulated mechanics the player could easily abuse.
>>
>>1235135
That's why Einstein stuck around to build the atomic bomb for the Germans, right?
>>
File: 1319281043599.jpg (447 KB, 800x516) Image search: [Google]
1319281043599.jpg
447 KB, 800x516
>>1235136
I'm not even talking about HOI4, I'm talking about EU4. I'm not even following HOI4's development because I already know it's gonna be shit, because Paradox can't do anything right anymore.
>>1235142
Didn't stop them from being really technologically advanced in general, doing things like developing the first practical jet aircrafts and sending the first object into space.
>>
>>1235142
Its useless. These grognards just don´t want to see that abstracting certain things into an easy accessible subsystem is a good design choice while creating several different subsystems that aren´t working properly while creating crazy outcomes is a shit one. Even if the first one feels more ahistorical.
>>
File: 489-Ju52schlepp.jpg (14 KB, 520x240) Image search: [Google]
489-Ju52schlepp.jpg
14 KB, 520x240
>>1235160
>I'm not even talking about HOI4, I'm talking about EU4. I'm not even following HOI4's development because I already know it's gonna be shit, because Paradox can't do anything right anymore.

Why are you whining in a HOI IV thread then ffs? Also don´t be a bitch, paradox improved massively in the last years. Nice picture though.
>>
>>1235160
>Didn't stop them from being really technologically advanced in general, doing things like developing the first practical jet aircrafts and sending the first object into space.
Sorry, you're being ahistorical here. If they could send an object into space, why couldn't they build the atomic bomb?

Real life is not a video game, with arbitrary distinctions like that.
>>
>>1235162
But there have been better methods for abstraction already theorized by fans and whatnot, but they seem to pick the laziest and most retarded ones possible. Before there were estates in EU4, some guy on (i know) reddit theorized this:

http://imgur.com/a/DbZwQ

Which sounded like a cool way to represent factions within the nation while also totally reforming the mission system.

Though I personally want a game that really goes into a lot of the troubles of setting up and preserving a regime, which is why a prefer a lot of conceptual things in CK2, but it could use a lot of work on internal politics.
>>
>>1235162
Having no oil for vehicles in a ww2 game is a good design choice for noobs, maybe. People who like History find it revolting.
>>1235169
Because HOI4 is built on the same philosophy that all their games since EU4 have been built on, so it's relevant. I can tell you right now that HOI4 will be a shit game, for various reasons, and you'll see that I'm right when you play it.
>>1235179
They could have built it, and they were working on it. I'm not against it being possible in a game, because it's actually something plausible and makes perfect logical sense. They could do it too in all the previous HOI games, and nobody ever complained.
>>
>>1235160
>Didn't stop them from being really technologically advanced in general,
Nazis were behind the allies in general you faggot
I bet you believe the ronson, and panzers were good memes
>>
>>1235195
>They could have built it,
Hello retard
>>
>>1235023

i modded my version of EU3 so that govt buildings gave 0.1 magistrates per month. it worked pretty well because you weren't punished for having a large empire but didn't basically build all buildings at once as soon as they became available. i felt it represented a good way to simulate the development of core areas with hobbling you if you were too successful.

i'll have to think about a similar change for EU4 because it's basically the same mechanic. it's obvious that buildings which hire administrators, for example, would contribute to your administrative capacity. in the absence of things like literacy rates, it's a good enough bodge.
>>
File: 1462109874842.jpg (67 KB, 500x726) Image search: [Google]
1462109874842.jpg
67 KB, 500x726
>>1235195
>Having no oil for vehicles in a ww2 game is a good design choice for noobs, maybe. People who like History find it revolting.

You are right its better to have a complete mess of a logistical system that just randomly cuts off troops from supply. I mean that is really historical.

>>1235197
>Nazis were behind the allies in general you faggot

Also not true. In some fields they were, in others they were morde advanced.
>>
>>1235195
> They could have built it
Your changing arguments now. You have to demonstrate that they DID build it. Because distinctions between technological groups are arbitrary. Every nation should unlock the same technology at the same tech level. Everything else is like a video game!

>having no oil for vehicles in a ww2 game is a good design choice for noobs, maybe. People who like History find it revolting.
People who know a thing or two about history know that most vehicles don't run on crude oil.

This is the problem with you autistic shits who unironically complain about noobs. You don't know shit, and you like arbitrary, video gamey barriers to entry because it makes you feel like a speshul snowflake.
>>
>>1235205

+without hobbling you - d'oh

in general, large empires which are reasonably cohesive can generate a lot of potential. there has to be some way of simulating this without the AI going blob-tastic - i think EU4 with the current expansions has this about right with the AI having a set of long term goals limiting the extent of it's expansion. generally i play with a particular limit of my empire in mind so it makes sense that AI empires should have some similar setting, based on historic goals maybe.
>>
>>1235216
>You are right its better to have a complete mess of a logistical system that just randomly cuts off troops from supply. I mean that is really historical.
Solution: Only play as Italy.
>>
>>1235216

the kriauts had scuds of tanks, but after ploesti was bombed and then lost, their ability to use them to their potential was lost.

with no oil, how to you model this?
>>
>>1235197
>>1235204
You obviously have no idea what you're talking about.
>>1235216
You're implying that there's only a choice between having a simplistic, senseless system or a messy one. That's a false dichotomy. If they actually had the will to do something good, they could.
>>1235221
>Your changing arguments now. You have to demonstrate that they DID build it.
No, because I never said that everything should always happen exactly as it did in History. If games were like that, there would be no games, just videos.

>People who know a thing or two about history know that most vehicles don't run on crude oil.
They didn't run on crude oil in HOI3. Oil had to be refined into fuel. Have you even played it?
>>
>>1235243
Kill yourself
>>
File: 1462051178249.jpg (647 KB, 4170x2810) Image search: [Google]
1462051178249.jpg
647 KB, 4170x2810
>>1235238
I think HOI IV models it by supplies needing oil to be produced so that without access to oil your divisions become useless because no supplies. Personally i would like to see a good logistics system.

>>1235243
I just prefer a system that actually works in the intended way.
>>
>>1235243
>No, because I never said that everything should always happen exactly as it did in History. If games were like that, there would be no games, just videos.
You don't know shit about history, you don't know shit about video games, and you can't fucking read.

>hey didn't run on crude oil in HOI3. Oil had to be refined into fuel.
I sure as shit know no vehicle of the era ran on "fuel". What a lazy fucking video gamey abstraction.
>>
>>1235254
Everyone always complains about the HOI3 supply system, but I think it worked fine. Never had any major problem with it, and I've played the game for hundreds of hours and did crazy stuff in it.
>>
File: 1464845870415.jpg (65 KB, 418x279) Image search: [Google]
1464845870415.jpg
65 KB, 418x279
>play meme ice for HoI3
>can't even make inroads into China as Japan
>>
>>1234145
>>1234501
What the hell am I looking at? Do you really just command little tokens on a front the whole time? Does it ever turn into something like Total War gameplay?

I don't think my autism is high enough if it's only the former.
>>
>>1235260
It's major problem was the way they had to go to your capital before then back out to your units. I think all it would take is the implementation of local depots and more logical distribution and it would be a great system. Throw in 2's diplomacy and you have an excellent Hearts of Iron game.
>>
File: 1454478157399.jpg (155 KB, 800x1183) Image search: [Google]
1454478157399.jpg
155 KB, 800x1183
>>1235274
Shameful. I would probably fail too though.

>>1235287
Summerfag.
>>
>>1235287
Fuck off casual babbyshit
>>
File: 1339348879465.jpg (94 KB, 478x487) Image search: [Google]
1339348879465.jpg
94 KB, 478x487
>>1235287
>>
>>1235293
I feel no shame, only the pain of those absurdly huge defensive modifiers for every single terrain type.

When landing in the south I had a three militia divisions at half organisation hold up my infantry corp for weeks on end, giving the chinks enough time to reinforce the area with a ouple hundred thousand more men.
>>
>>1235293
>>1235325
Sorry for being 2casul, anons. I'm not much into grand strategy games.
>>
Fuck it I'll share some ideas I had for EU back before it came out.

http://imgur.com/a/P7Lqa#2

http://pastebin.com/VWZRmdVn This was before marches were an actual vassal distinction in EU4

I have too much free time to think of these things but not enough to do anything about them.
>>
>>1235523

Nice ideas. Too bad Clausewitz is too hard coded and clunky to allow any real dynamic features.
>>
>>1235563
That was what I realized, and honestly to have all the checks for these things would be quite tough. Someday we can all hope for an engine that would allow games that truly simulate what it's like to govern (beyond declaring war and what not)
>>
File: file.png (355 KB, 1021x641) Image search: [Google]
file.png
355 KB, 1021x641
Lol at all you plebs playing HOI still. It has a terrible combat engine that encourages ridiculous tactics that would never work IRL. True armchair generals (or admirals) play War in the Pacific.
>>
>>1234501
Darkest Hour > HoI2 > AoD > HoI3

I don't care what anyone says. HoI3 was fucking garbage and is still a fucking buggy mess 6 years after it's release.
>>
>>1235619
Hexes are gay though.
>>
>>1235650
I find combat in 3 much more enjoyable than 2 and DH. They feel like EU, just pushing massive doomstacks across the map without any thought required.
>>
>>1235619
Grigsby games require a special kind of autism I don't have. I'd love to try and get into WiT*, but I don't have $80 to throw around on something I might never be able to comprehend.
>>
File: file.png (1000 KB, 1152x785) Image search: [Google]
file.png
1000 KB, 1152x785
>>1235664
Hexes allow for greater granularity of the map. How is that gay?
>>1235674
Considering how many hours WitP takes up, $80 is nothing.
>>
>>1235691
If I were to buy a Grigsby game, it would be WitW rather than WitP. Like I said, early in the thread, I'd love to get into Grigsby games, but they require a special kind of autism, cost $80 and it doesn't feel right to pirate from a developer that is literally one guy.
>>
>>1235712
WitW sucks. I cannot stand the week long turns and that combat is resolved during your actual turn rather than both sides giving orders and seeing the orders execute simultaneously in a combat replay. The latter feature is the main reason WitP is the greatest war game of all time and unique among turn based strategy games.
>>
>>1235730
I'm just not really into naval combat, no matter the game. It's tedious and unfun to me.
>>
>>1234097
>>1234111
You two could have picked an interesting scenario, instead you went with dumb meme shit.
>>
>>1235730
>The latter feature is the main reason WitP is the greatest war game of all time and unique among turn based strategy games.
Huh, it's not unique. Ageod games play like that too.
>>
File: file.png (759 KB, 1025x641) Image search: [Google]
file.png
759 KB, 1025x641
>>1235736
I get that. I used to feel that way as well. If there was a turn based land combat game with simultaneous execution of orders I'd love it even more. I have thought about one day making such a game myself but I'd need more capital and a development team.
>>
>>1235756
Doesn't WiTE have that?
>>
>>1235755
So Ageod has a separate combat replay? I will have to check this out.
>>1235767
Nope. In WitE you actually move units around during the turn and watch the attacks happen. No separate combat replay.
>>
File: CW2 2016-03-22 23-24-11-526.jpg (1 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
CW2 2016-03-22 23-24-11-526.jpg
1 MB, 1920x1080
>>1235777
Yes. You and the AI decide your moves on the same turn, then the moves play out and you can't do anything about it until the next turn.
>>
>>1235789
Which Ageod game has the most complicated land combat engine? I will have to try this out myself.
>>
File: CW2 2016-03-17 21-18-22-664.jpg (1 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
CW2 2016-03-17 21-18-22-664.jpg
1 MB, 1920x1080
>>1235799
I've only played Civil War 2 and To End All Wars. Dropped To End All Wars without even playing after I noticed you had to control your entire alliance instead of just one country. Civil War 2 is pretty good and I recommend it. You can even make entire Colored divisions.
>>
>>1235747
I'm planning on getting a Hoare-Laval mod into the game as soon as I can.
>>
File: GOAT.png (2 MB, 748x1259) Image search: [Google]
GOAT.png
2 MB, 748x1259
>>1235747
r8 my groB Austriums mang
>>
File: 1464811678032.jpg (124 KB, 1024x1021) Image search: [Google]
1464811678032.jpg
124 KB, 1024x1021
>>1235257
Petrol,gas,coal all are fuel. Why so autism ?
>>
>>1235845
Pretty good overall but you need west Galicia. I don't play much EU though, mostly Vicky.
>>
>>1235932
>west Galicia
Maybe
Any ideas for colonies in Asia, other than India?
>>
>>1236009
Not him, but you could always grab your East Aryan brothers.
>>
>>1236026
Japan?
Could be interesting
I might do that or take Indonesia
I've already fucked the dutch up to the point where they won't be having any colonial empire
>>
>>1236009
Borneo because they made an attempt IRL
>>
>>1236083
Never knew that
I'll go Indonesia then
Time to spread the Catholic church across Muslim Asia
>>
>>1235856
any slavrunes fag can tell me what that means?
>>
>>1236156
It means "Kill the German swines!"
Thread replies: 96
Thread images: 21

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.