[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why do so many philosophers seem to live completely ordinary
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 4
File: philosopher's jumper.jpg (133 KB, 1310x779) Image search: [Google]
philosopher's jumper.jpg
133 KB, 1310x779
Why do so many philosophers seem to live completely ordinary lives, not living their lives in any radical sense after the philosophy they developed?

The only true exceptions I can think of is perhaps Diogenes the Cynic, and Simone du Beauvoir.
>>
>>1233192
Most philosophers are just bourgeois with too much time on their hands. People such as Voltaire or Karl Marx are examples of this.
>>
>>1233192
I've read somewhere that philosophers of ethics agree mostly that being vegetarian is the ethical thing to do. However they aren't any more likely to be one.
I can't remember if there was more to that.
>>
>>1233192
"I'm a philosopher" sounds a lot more attractive to chicks than "I'm a bored pretentious faggot who doesn't have a real job".
>>
>>1233192
>Philosopher's jumper
Lelno. More like a "My collared shirts are in the wash so I have to wear a sweater to cover the fact that I am really wearing a collared T-shirt."

A standard in Universities in the west.
>>
Simple, it isn't as enjoyable. Take me: I know eating meat and dairy products in general are unhealthy and unethical. While I know all of this and the health risks associated with eating this much meat I still prefer the guilt while enjoying a nice burger for example. Of course one strives to eat less unhealthy but the changes in behaviour and habits (or diet in this case) is incremental and besides, I will never completely give up meat.
>>
>>1233224
I agree it's more ethical
But I honestly don't care
Vegans seem to forget were animals Aswell and need food
>>
>>1233224
>be vegetarian
>cows life is saved
>same cow is then eaten by a lion
BRAVO
>>
>>1233370
No, less cows would be bred.
>>
>>1233373
>beings that don't exist can be prevented from suffering
BRAVO
>>
>>1233375
Why care about climate change then?
>>
>>1233380
because I like polar bears and because I hate capitalism anyway
>>
>>1233192
>Daily reminder that Alain de Botton is a Swiss Jew with a net worth of over 200 million USD
>daily reminder that he is the definition of bourgeois cunt with too much time on his hands
>daily reminder that he is starting to become a cult member
>>
>>1233380

Because it directly affects humans. Fuck animals.
>>
File: land_mammals.png (33 KB, 619x495) Image search: [Google]
land_mammals.png
33 KB, 619x495
>>1233370
More like
>Everyone goes vegan.
>Cows, goats, and pigs, go extinct.
BRAVO
>>
>>1233375

I think you over estimate the killing prowess of lions.
>>
>>1233192
Philosophy begins with idleness. The better philosophers have always been very busy people regardless.

The Pre-Socratics were teachers and engaged in politics, sports, etc. Heraclitus was said to be in the Olympic games and did extremely well in them, for example.

Descartes was in the military and traveled Europe, Spinoza ran his family importing business, etc.

Nietzsche was a professor, traveled Europe and constantly roomed with other intellectuals. All of these guys personally knew other intellectuals at the time and spent a lot of time with them. Nietzsche also wrote music and suffered from a number of physical ailments including debilitating headaches so he was definitely preoccupied most of his life.

Not to mention everything they wrote, which itself takes a lot of time and is a huge undertaking in most cases.

As far as living their own philosophy goes, how do you even evaluate that? How does one live Heraclitus's philosophy, or Spinoza's, or Nietzsche's? Is there just ONE way to live these philosophies? Of course not. Are you saying they didn't posit philosophies that resonated deeply with themselves? Well historical accounts of these figures suggest otherwise. Living a philosophy can be a subtle thing, you don't have to be some radical mountain climbing stunt maniac and foot soldier with a thousand confirmed kills just because you think what does not kill you makes you stronger. You can challenge yourself in many different ways and still exercise your philosophy.
>>
>>1233396
This. The Earth doesn't give a shit if we pollute it or not. It's just another dumb rock in the space that happened to spawn humans. Humans should care though, since our survival hinges in this dumb rock.
>>
>>1233192

you're forgetting about Felix Guattari and Michel Foucault friendo.
>>
>>1233429
/thread
>>
>>1233476
>Michel Foucault
Enlighten me, didn't he just spend all his time at uni?
>>
Because Aristotle is the ONLY philosopher.
>>
>>1233383
>Lives a life of luxury thanks to capitalism
>hates capitalism

I found the retard
>>
>Socrates, Plato, St. Thomas Aquinas, Confucius, Aristotle, Muslim Neoplatonists
OP is a fag
>>
>>1233192
where's a modern day cynic when you need one. we need a diogenes of the current era.
>>
File: 1464331270876.png (244 KB, 429x367) Image search: [Google]
1464331270876.png
244 KB, 429x367
>>1233773
>Lives life of luxury thanks to the king.
>Hates feudalism.

Get a load of this uppity serf.
>>
>>1233791
underrated
>>
>>1233192
Why would you live radical life if you know the truth and nothing rally matters anymore?
>>
>>1233361
>Take me: I know eating meat and dairy products in general are unhealthy
>eating meat is unhealthy
We wouldn't have even evolved without meat you fucking retard
>>
>>1233401
I've seen vegans unironically defending that cattle must be extinguished.
>>
File: 1464516421581.jpg (221 KB, 600x800) Image search: [Google]
1464516421581.jpg
221 KB, 600x800
>>1233773
>>1233791
Fucking owned
>>
>>1233808
We evolved in circumstances where meat was the only sufficient source of protein to support brain growth. This is no longer the case. Furthermore, from the perspective of evolution, any survival past being able to maximize the survival chances of your offspring is at best a nice bonus, not something to evolve towards. And while this is still the case, it does mean that "we evolved to do that" is not a guarantee that something is healthy for you when you're most likely to live old enough to have great grandchildren.
>>
>>1233461
>>1233396
>mother earth spents milennia trying to kill us
>now that we're winning we should help her

Can't we just destroy the cunt and migrate to Mars?
>>
>>1233394

>nice antisemitism

anyway only idiots thing de Botton is a real philosopher. At best he is the philosophical version of vsauce
>>
>>1233791
But serfs didn't have access to higher education and didn't live luxuriously under their Lords. Social Democrats invariably have access to education and almost invariably live luxurious lives.
>>1233830
>antisemitism
Get over it, desu. I bet you call out Catholics whenever you get the opportunity.
>>
>>1233811
What about horses though. Practically every household owned their own horse once. Now there are a tiny fraction of the same horses.

But I bet they have a much much higher standard of living nowadays than they did before.

And wild horses, mustangs, still exist. They haven't gone extinct.
>>
>>1233192
I know at least for the stoics, that they rejected the extreme ways of living as against the nature. Also Seneca said philosophers coqueting with extreme lifestyles do it just for the attention and the real philosophers don't care too much about the profane things, but live nonetheless a normal life in society.
Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.