[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Can anyone recommend a good book about the Ottoman Balkans? I'm
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 2
File: aferim!.jpg (158 KB, 800x1149) Image search: [Google]
aferim!.jpg
158 KB, 800x1149
Can anyone recommend a good book about the Ottoman Balkans? I'm particularly interested in daily life and the interaction between different religions and ethnicities.
>>
>>1232133
I truly wish I could, this is an incredible topic that is almost never undertaken let alone considered in the west.
The only insight I could provide is not a book but to phenomenologically track the progression of the theology/mythology in the region, maybe start with Mircea Eliade, gl, give us updates if you find some interesting aspects.
>>
>>1232133
>different religions
Islam vs christianity?
Christians had to pay heavy taxes and generally were living under the darkness of a tyranny who could kill them just cause
>>
>>1232133
Django shitty knock off movie.
>>
>>1232133
Are you me ?
But bump for interest.
>>
>>1232260
Everyone had differences though none of those religions are monoliths.
For example islam in anatolia is part of the hanafi school which is a bit more liberal and islam in the balkans is part of te bektashi just as most jannisaries were in those times and this a more liberal version than the hanafi school also both schools were heavily influenced by the sufi orders which are orders concentrating on the more mystic side of islam with vague rituals and stuff involving sometimes alcohol and drugs.
>>
>>1232133
First of all that is a Romanian movie, and Romania is not a Balkan nation.
>>
>>1232667
Every country west of istanbul and north of the med which was under ottoman rule is balkan.
>>
>>1232583
>django
Is even half your brain working? This is significantly more related to The Searchers but you haven't seen that one, have you raddish?
>>
Bump out of interest
>>
>>1232983
I'm Romanian.
The movie is shit.
All Romanian movies are pure shit.
They couldn't direct a competent movie to save their lives
>>
Balkanigger here.
Read Bridge on the Drina by Ivo Andric, it should be easy to find in English.
>>
>>1233710
>I'm from X country therefore my opinion on movies of my country are law.
I see this type of shitpost all over /tv/ when someone tries to talk about movies from a foreign country.
>>
>>1232133
these introductory works:
http://www.oxfordbibliographies.com/view/document/obo-9780199791279/obo-9780199791279-0133.xml
or for a longer historical perspective, the books on the balkans mentioned in this article about early/mid ottoman empire
http://pastebin.com/EqmE0f0g
>>
Zachary Stoyanoff - Pages From the Autobiography of a Bulgarian Insurgent

This is pretty good, but you have too keep in mind it was written by a patriot.
>>
>>1232260
> 2% more taxes
> Heavy burden
desu taxation was very inefficient, the notorious French taxes in late 18th century were around 8-10% of income
>>
>>1233876
> I know more about a thing from a country than the people living in that country.

Kindly fuck off from where you came from.

The Box Office and the non-existing cultural impact are proof enough
>>
>>1233860
this. It's fiction but it follows historical-political events, and gives a pretty good idea of what life might have been life back then. it's on genlib for sure
>>
>>1237855
Romanian anon can confirm this. We have a bunch of good comedies tho.
>>
>>1232704
he has a point,romania isnt considered exactly balkan because of language and race.but geographically speaking it sure is within the boundaries of balkan peninsula.also slav-dacian population therefore balkan,at least in my opinion
>>
>>1238750
We're also kind of the only ones who don't sperg over "gib bacl clay REEEE' in the area
>>
>>1238750
I thiught that romanian culture was part of balkan culture.

>>1238773
That's because you fuckers got shitload of clay in the last few centuries :D
>>
File: pepe xenomorph.png (484 KB, 791x567) Image search: [Google]
pepe xenomorph.png
484 KB, 791x567
>>1238788
Romanian culture is somewhat Balkanic and somewhat Mitteleuropa. We're a complete clusterfuck of influences and cultures

>got a shitload of clay
All rightfully ours. Except Dobrogea, maybe, but even that is over 90% Romanian by this point. We should have gotten Basarabia and Bucovina too, fuck you Stalin and Hitler you fucking faggots.
>>
>>1238750
But Romania is literally defined by the Carpathian Mountains, where does the Balkan Peninsula even end?
Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.