[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What are the best history books that can give me a description
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1
File: thetruephilosopher.jpg (215 KB, 1058x1058) Image search: [Google]
thetruephilosopher.jpg
215 KB, 1058x1058
What are the best history books that can give me a description of the "big picture"? A good overview of world history?

Also, what are the essential History Philosophers?
>>
>>1320380
the bible
>>
>>1320380
I think you might need to consider historians are not necessarily philosophers and philosophers are not necessarily historians. We run into problems like this when we think Plato, for example, was discussing a historical atlantis when he was using a fictional bogeyman in an illustration, or if we try to understand some ancient world "meaning of life" through Herodotus. We can learn something "about history" by reading about Aristotle or Pythagorus, but their words, the concepts, were not intended for their day as a history lesson.
>>
>>1320743
When you read philosophy you try to visualize what you read as if you were in the same room with that philosopher and try to see if you can think as he thinks.

When you read history you try to visualize an accurate picture of the events, that's why you ended to read many sources and see where they overlap or where they won't agree with each other and then study more why is that so.
>>
>>1320380
protocols of elders of zion
>>
>>1320878
Conspiracy theory, it's not history - it's just a work of fiction.
>>
>>1320380
>that pic

When you're deciding on whether to use that parchment to write down your latest aphorisms on, or to wipe your ass with it on your next shit.
>>
>>1320878
Really as correct of an answer as you are going to get.
>>
>>1321821
kyk
Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.