[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
The Great Country of Texas
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1
File: image.png (23 KB, 2000x1333) Image search: [Google]
image.png
23 KB, 2000x1333
ITT: We talk about Texas! How long could it have landed as a sovereign nation if Mexico or the U.S. never claimed it? What would it be like today if that happened?
>>
*lasted
>>
>>1229488
It was a sort of sovereignty for a time, unrecognized by Mexico. Political wrangling led to a vote to be annexed by the USA for its own protection. I don't think the USA would ever have invaded it, but I don't think Mexico would have allowed it to remain in insurrection.
>>
>>1229488
Don't let your bias education fool you Texas wanted to become part of the US. The US initially didn't because it would fuck up the ratio of slave states to free states.
>>
>>1229591
Don't forget the British, who were eyeing Texas as a bulwark against US expansion in N. America. Sam Houston was a genius at playing both ends against the middle.
>>
>>1229488
Let me get this straight:

Americans settle on Mexico's land.
Refuse to follow Mexico's laws.
Insurrection and Revolution.
Americans form the state of Texas and calls themselves Texans.
Texas joins the U.S.
Texans to today think they are separate from Americans and think they should be a separate state?
>>
>>1230097
the identity in the area wasn't quite "American" as much as it was "Anglo"

separate terms for Hispanic and Anglo Texans became Texian and Tejano respectively.
>>
>>1230097
>Americans settle on Mexico's land.
Americans were the largest group, however there was a lot of Europeans as well. Estimates from a low of 30% to a high of 55%. Now days most use the figure of 40 to 45% of the population being first generation Europeans settlers.

> Refuse to follow Mexico's laws.

Now days many Non-Texan writers try to make it a issue over slavery, but it that does not hold up. The Europeans and the Hispanics inside the area largely supported the Revolution but were largely at odds with the Americans over slavery. The main matters was over Mexico's laws, just not the ones you many think. In order it was the ban on import from the US, a very inaccessible state government, and Mexico having a state religion.

There had been talk of getting Mexican goods into Texas via a shipping route to someday replace US goods, but it never happened. The Mexican government never gave the subsidy to make it happen. Overland routes were not doable without a major increase in garrison due to the Comanche and Apache. This also made efforts to show up at the state government a very hard matter.

> Insurrection and Revolution.

Two other parts of Mexico did so at almost the same time.
>>
>>1229591
Anyone who went to school (especially in Texas) knows this. Stop acting like Texas has a shittier public education than any other state. It has good districts and bad districts like any state.
>>
8th generation Texan on my mothers side here, with ancestors who survived Goliad and San Jac, and members of Austin's first 300 families.
AMA
Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.