[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How accurate is this statue of a spartan soldier?( I already
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1
File: IMG-20160602-WA0019.jpg (98 KB, 720x1280) Image search: [Google]
IMG-20160602-WA0019.jpg
98 KB, 720x1280
How accurate is this statue of a spartan soldier?( I already know that it is supposed to have a beard and the xephos dagger was only used as a last resort when the spear breaks)
>>
Should have a big beard and long hair I believe. What century is the statuete supposed to show?
>>
>>1227839
Cuirass is accurate, the helmet looks to be an Attic style which is plausible for later Sparta, the shield has their symbol, the short sword/long dagger is correct. The greaves are fancy but they existed. Needs a beard, the crest indicates an officer.
It's not a Spartan Warrior, but a soldier, Sparta was a military society not a warrior culture
>>
>>1227999
It doesn't say but I'm guessing around the second Persian invasion(You know 300 and shit)
>>
>>1227839

Is he shirtless, or does he just have a breastplate shaped like muscles? Either way, no. Hoplites were heavy infantry. They wore as much armor as they could afford.
>>
>>1228037
He is wearing armour so that's an improvement from 300 but its shaped like muscles which I think was more common in romans then in Greeks
>>
>>1227839
No beard its fake as fuck, pure fantasy tier.
>>
>>1228037
Don't listen to this guy, he can't even recognise a muscle cuirass. Hoplites were heavy infantry but the definition of heavy started out very light and ended up very heavy. Hoplites were not "heavy" by later standards but they were by the standards of their time. He is wearing typical hoplite equipment, the cuirass, greaves, a helmet, and a hoplon. Thats about the maximum armour they would wear.
>>1228040
No it was more common among the Greeks than the Romans, where only officers tended to use it, except in the early/mid republic where many soldiers would. However throughout classical and hellenistic Greece and the successors, the muscle cuirass was in common use by common troops. It was a more effective but heavier alternative to the linothorax.
>>
>>1228060
Thanks for the correction
Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.