[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Naval Battles in mid 1800s
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 3
File: h63861.jpg (74 KB, 740x390) Image search: [Google]
h63861.jpg
74 KB, 740x390
How did naval battles play out after the Napoleon wars when steampower was introduced?

There just seems to be a big gap between this era to WW1. Were there any big battles? How did this new technology change warfare? When were traditional cannons removed for the longrange guns we know of from later eras? Were they phased out? Did the newer more effective guns become availible before iron hulls were introduced? Wouldn't that have completely decimated wooden hulls?
>>
Bump. Please...any naval fans out there?
>>
>>1225922
Merrimack and the Monitor was a battle that changed naval warfare in the American Civil War. Steam ships were used as coastal vessels and tug ships, useful for moving against the tide.

They're useful as commerce raiders, as they were pretty agile and could move in dead winds.

But they're vulnerable to attack with early designs. The wheel could be hit easily and put the ship out of battle. The turbine had yet to be placed at the ships rear. Early steam ships had plenty of wood in them and sailors hated the idea of having a running boiler on the ship. They thought that a coal burner would set fire to the ship.
>>
File: Cumberland_rammed_by_Merrimac.png (707 KB, 800x491) Image search: [Google]
Cumberland_rammed_by_Merrimac.png
707 KB, 800x491
>>1226678
Nice. These are the sorts of anecdotes that I crave. It would seem that the Pax Britannica didn't leave a lot of room for giant naval showdowns, but I imagine it must have been quite a strange age for these guys. Especially if you were still on a wooden ship with steampowered tech and a boiler as you said, and then you know get to know that there are ships sailing around that are equpped with exploding shells which could turn your wooden ship into splinters. I imagine there must have been a lot of paranoia and espionage where each power tried to get up to speed quickly.
>>
The Confederates made a submarine, too. It wasn't a torpedo vessel, more of a stealth vessel that impaled explosives onto enemy ships.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/H._L._Hunley_%28submarine%29
It's a decently fascinating story, but it's not worth the 2-3 hour trip to the Museum if you're visiting Charleston.
>>
Shogun 2: Fall of the Samurai is set in 1864: how accurate is their use of Naval combat?
>>
File: 2345.jpg (398 KB, 1576x2017) Image search: [Google]
2345.jpg
398 KB, 1576x2017
>>1225922
This is all you need to read.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Lissa_(1866)
Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.