[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Sorry for intruding upon the rules but I don't know where
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1
File: dscn9154_0.jpg (126 KB, 800x599) Image search: [Google]
dscn9154_0.jpg
126 KB, 800x599
Sorry for intruding upon the rules but I don't know where else I can ask. I'm just about to graduate from high school and I already know what I want to major in. I'm doing two years at my local community college for an associate degree in Computer Science, and I then plan on transferring to a four year university for a bachelor's. I have already taken and passed my school's Ap Computer Science course, and while I do have an interest in it, this is mostly for job and financial security. Recently I have been taken by an urge to study history or perhaps do archaeology. Should I try and put that down as a minor? I know that history wouldn't serve me well, but I really do wish to travel and discover artifacts, but then again I don't want to burden my parents with debt. What can I do that allows me to continue doing Computer Science, but at the same time have the ability to get a minor in archaeology? Is it even feasible or should I just stop this pipe dream of mine? It doesn't help that my state is pretty much a hermit state, so there's possibly only one University that's accredited for something like that. Although I know that I can get into it. I always planned to go the Community College and then University route, but the fire of youth in me stupidly made me apply and get accepted to Universities anyways.
>>
>>1225716
Its not that there are no jobs in archaeology, especially if you live in Europe, Canada or Australia, but its money earned with hard work you could half-assedly earn doing things like Computer Science in the city instead. Its a lot of travelling in the middle of nowhere, digging dirt, doing mundane tasks and being often disappointed. If you want to have a functional family or kids before you're 35 or something, its not that perfect. Plus everybody thinks you are wasting government money and not doing anything of note. I like archaeology, really, but I wish I could have 8-10 hour working day in a city and ride subway home every day instead. Although you could earn good money with it, especially in Australia. No kidding, 100k/year even if you go full retard.

Don't do history though, I don't think there is work in this field anymore, maybe in America.
>>
>>1225742
Yeah that's what I was thinking myself. I guess I just really like the Romance Nations of Europe and wish to go there. Maybe I should do an exchange program instead. I was thinking Galicia or some other country in Spain. Maybe Italy, but I'll have to check how the Community College does that. I also don't know if the university that I transfer to would even allow me to do an exchange program the first year I get there. Ahh, aspirations.
>>
>>1225757
Look into a minor in classics(Rome and Greece).

The schools in my country(Canada) often have exchanges and trips over to Europe.

Also you get that history component (although fairly rigid) and you won't have to sacrifice your major.
>>
>>1225716
>getting all that skin oil on the brass
REEEEEE
>>
>>1225716
Ay you gon smoke all dem blunts yourself?
>>
>>1226744
Dems sum fat blunts 2
>>
>>1225716
Computer science is a meme degree. They basically teach you 1-2 languages then you spend your life being a code monkey for some shitty corporation for 35k$/year.
>>
>>1225716
Go into GIS/geography. It'll be a great synthesis of technology and the humanities. Also you'll be able to receive gainful employment upon graduation
Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.