[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Will Greece ever come back?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 3
File: Greece.jpg (10 KB, 277x182) Image search: [Google]
Greece.jpg
10 KB, 277x182
> Socrates and Alexander come to 2016 AD
> See modern technology
> See their names are still taught in schools around the world.
> "So this is America, tell me, how is Greece? I assume we are an even mightier empire"
> "Debt slaves to fucking Germanic barbarians, you what!!!!"

How did modern Greece end up so fucked?

Will it ever become a modern prosperous nation state?

What did it in? The civil war after WWII? Communists? Fascists? The EU? Turks?
>>
Modern greeks aren't the same as ancient greeks
>>
>>1224582
There's no more Greeks, only Hellenized Turco-Albanians.
>>
>>1224595
Literally every genetic study done on the topic says no
>>
ancient "greece" wasn't really even the same as contemporary greece. today's greece feels much more kinship to ancient greece than would be vice versa.
>>
>>1224599
I meant in terms of society and culture, I should've specified.
>>
>>1224582
Not with a 1.1 fertility rate, no.
>>
>>1224603
That's because we live thousands of years in the future. Everyone alive today may as well be space-age aliens as far as Socrates and Alexander would be concerned.

Hell, even the Byzantine Empire would be totally alien to ancient Greeks.
>>
>>1224582

Classical Greece is long dead. It doesn't exist any more, so there's nothing to "come back."

As to the question of whether modern Greece is permanently fucked, I would say no. Like many nations, their biggest problem is institutional corruption. That's hard to fix but not impossible.
>>
>>1224582
Modern greeks are just fat stinking turks.
>>
>>1224635
Greece needs to pull a Singapore. That is install an anti-corruption and business-friendly dictatorship.
>>
>>1224582
No.
>>
>>1224631
Yeah, so evidently the ancient greece people think of will never come back.
>>
>>1224635
The people aren't helping either, their culture is hampering everything.
>>
I'm fifthing the "Greeks are Hellenized Turco-Albanians" meme.

Short answer: No.
>>
Modern "Greeks" are mostly descended from the Pre-Greek population who have always been pretty useless. The ancient Greeks who did things of value were mostly relatively pure Indo-Europeans.
>>
>>1224764
Just be aware that it's only a meme.
>>
File: 180px-Constantine_Palaiologos.jpg (30 KB, 180x280) Image search: [Google]
180px-Constantine_Palaiologos.jpg
30 KB, 180x280
We have to wait for his second coming
>>
>>1224582
>What did it?
Wars and militarism I suppose.
>>
>>1224804
The stupidest post ever on /his/

But OP, probably not. 50 years of brain washing in school and entrenched public corruption are taught to over come. Add to that the fact the elected government has been "US/Europe first, Greek people second" ever since the fall of the junta, and there is little hope for change.

Maybe if they expelled the criminal Albanians, stop wasting resources on Africans and Afghanis and Syrians, and tried to turn the country around (modernize, increase productivity, stop the communist brain washing), and reject the EU whole sale.

But it's unlikely.
>>
File: 1436210791058.jpg (115 KB, 350x634) Image search: [Google]
1436210791058.jpg
115 KB, 350x634
>>1224973
>>
Modern Greeks are just Hellenized Finno-Ugrics
>>
ancient Greece, besides not being a country as much as it was a collection of states, fell long ago and was replaced by a succession of states and empires......nothing last's forever

almost all nations are relatively modern inventions with only casual ties to their deep past....Greece is no different
>>
>>1224582
>Socrates and Alexander come to 2016 AD
>See that everyone in "Greece" is a Turk
>>
Greece is a modern invention which did not exsist before the 1820s....'Greece' had no glory days and has always been a relatively middling state which was under the heel of other european powers (its royal family was almost all german/dutch/austrian)
>>
>>1224973
/thread

Game.Set.Match
>>
>>1225177
>last's
>>
Greece is a meme
>>
>>1224899
^This
>>
>Greece
>not Athens, Sparta or fucking Thebes/Macedon (but only if you're extra edgeey)
>>
>>1224599
>Literally every genetic study done on the topic says no

How many of these "studies" have samples from many thousands of ancient greeks from the different regions?
Because if not, its guessing and assuming, not knowing.
>>
>>1224647
>pull a Singapore
>that is install an anti-corruption and business-friendly dictatorship

Singapore is a democracy with multiple political parties competing for votes.
They have a president and a prime minister, and separated legislature, executive and judiciary power.

I think you are misinformed.
>>
>>1224973
>enter EU by faking data even though you arent ready
>take huge loans at Germany tier interest since you are EU now
>spend them on nonsense and lose them to corruption
>ask that other EU members pay your debts for you
>get mad when they only pay half

The Greeks.
>>
>>1228416
>EU and IMF want you to get your shit together
>State has been borrowing so much austerity is necessary as most of the public services were litteraly paid for by debt.
>Refuse austerity
>Ok then, well you'll have to levy taxes instead then
>Refuse to tax the church
>Refuse to tax the ship owners
>Refuse to set up a proper cadastral division
>Debt keeps growing
>"Muh debt, we should restructure it, please!"
>IMF says ok, but only if you do your fucking reforms.
>"No"

The biggest problem is the Greeks are used to a standard of public services they shouldn't have. Keep in mind this is not the first time Greece defaults or nearly defaults, it's happened several times since the 1800s.
>>
>>1228410
its efectivley a one party state...tho oposition may be legal youve had one party holding a beyond controlling majority for the history of modern singapore...its only a democracy if your a chinese singaporean
>>
albanianized turko-hellenes
>>
>>1224582
No it won't. Modern Greece can't even fucking do anything financially, they've defaulted five times already on their debts, give it up.
>>
>>1224899
If there is a god he would bring back the marble emperor and make Rome great again.

Far too long this world has suffered under the darkness of islam.
Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.