[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What were ninjas like in real life history?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2
File: 0.jpg (26 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
0.jpg
26 KB, 480x360
What were ninjas like in real life history?
>>
ask them
>>
People of the lower class who were hired as mercanaries, spies, raiders, etc.
>>
>>1220648
Iirc most of them clothed as commoners and few use the classic pure black ninja suit. The existance of ninjato (the short sword that ninjas use) seems to be non existent. Oh also THEY DONT USE JUTSUS OR RUN AROUND HALF NAKED
>>
>>1220648
Like terrorists.
>>
>>1220648
Spies are the 21st century ninjas.

Espionage/subterfuge/assassination/protection/etc

Men and women both worked in fields. Although men were more "ninja" like, women were employed as kunochis. They would sell their body inorder to gain closer relation/information/power/etc. Most probably came for information but some would do assassination. Myth surrounding them about magic and shit are meant to scare people.
>>
Plz no dumb cracked.com history. Only people who know something should reply.
>>
>>1220674
I forget where I heard but I think the black suits came from a play about famous folklore ninjas and they just used dudes in black to blend into the black background to do shenanigans like lifting and making things appear.
>>
>>1220917
You came to the right place.
>>
There were two types of ninja: those conscripted by a daimyo from his own people and those trained from birth simply to be ninja on contract.
>>
This is a bit of a simplification, but ninja=samurai more or less, as back when the "ninja" were most active (the Warring States/Sengoku period), the samurai didn't really fit the image we have of them today. They weren't super HONORABRU warriors osbsessing over saving face and disdaining underhanded tactics and weapons (although they certainly preferred to portray themselves that way, and their descendants doubly so), they were practical and calculating soldiers who did what needed to be done to win. I'm not saying they were ready to jump into black pajamas and sneak around on rooftops at a moment's notice, more like if dressing up as the enemy and infiltrating their ranks to set their castle on fire was the key to victory, they would try it. Some warriors were more adapt at that kind of thing due to various reasons, such as living in a geographical location which favored a more subtle approach in warfare, and a small population that couldn't support larger, more conventional armies, which led to them being known as "ninja clans" later on (most famously Iga and Koga).

In addition there were certainly spies that could be considered civilians by modern standards, but when it comes to the more martial ninja/shinobi stuff, most of them were low-ranking samurai, with some higher ranking folks thrown in. Most historical figures who are today often portrayed as ninjas in popular culture were certainly no commoners striking back at evil samurai, or magic-wielding tree hoppers with Tengu blood. Dudes like Hattori Hanzo and Yagyu Jubei are two good examples of this.
>>
>Ninjas didn't do any of that cool ninja shit.
>It's all made up by Hollywood and anime.
But what if that's just what the ninjas want us to think?
>>
Dere was dis site lads that had info on REALEST ninjas a'right? BUt I dunno were it is. All I know was that REALEST ninjas spotted navy blue suits.
>>
>>1220649
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ZbK0_sSesw

Not, promising.
>>
>>1220648
ninja basically refers to almost any agent who carried out unconventional warfare. There were a variety of terms used at the time.
>>
>>1220648
Like spies and saboteurs.
>>
>>1220648
probably sucked quite alot dick for info
>>
>>1220648
Like pretty much every other spy ring or intelligence service.
>>
>>1221110
>Ask A Ninja

This is some old ass youtube. Holy shit.
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.